Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New DVD drive, frustrations

New DVD drive, frustrations

GraB

Installed the LiteOn 812S yesterday, updated firmware, burnt some CDs,
OK.

Comes with Sonic software including RecordNow DX v4.6 (current version
v7.2). It is a lot like Sony CD Extreme that I had installed but that
wouldn't work with the new DVD burner. I had uninstalled all Nero
software to avoid conflicts, as suggested by Sonic. But there is no
way to get updates. Contrary to the Sonic site there is no automatic
online update option anywhere and Sonic don't have downloadable
updates.

Backed up all my MP3s to one DVD+R disc, it supports long file names,
but find that Windows 98SE doesn't support multisession DVDs,
according to Sonic. I had never come across that before! Everytime I
tried to add two video files to the disc the computer locked up.

Does Nero 6 support long file names? Nero 5.5 I have, wanted to
truncate a couple of file names when I went to add the two /div files
to the MP3 backup disc, so I bailed out of that for now.

Then there was the antics of the packet writing software.
Unfortunately the InCD 3 I had with the previous drive would not work
with the LiteOn so I had to use the Sonic DLA equivalent. Dragged and
dropped two .div file onto the Verbatim 4x DVD+RW, but from then on
when inserting the disc into the drive, it would eject again after a
short period. I tried changing the book type and that stopped the
disc from ejecting, but this time it just locks up the computer. I
can't access this disc to erase or reformat it. I am guessing that
InCD 4 works better?

Fortunately I bought some beer.

cowboyz

GraB wrote:
> Installed the LiteOn 812S yesterday, updated firmware, burnt some CDs,
> OK.
>
> Comes with Sonic software including RecordNow DX v4.6 (current version
> v7.2). It is a lot like Sony CD Extreme that I had installed but that
> wouldn't work with the new DVD burner. I had uninstalled all Nero
> software to avoid conflicts, as suggested by Sonic. But there is no
> way to get updates. Contrary to the Sonic site there is no automatic
> online update option anywhere and Sonic don't have downloadable
> updates.

Nero 5.5 is the only burning program I use.

> Backed up all my MP3s to one DVD+R disc, it supports long file names,
> but find that Windows 98SE doesn't support multisession DVDs,
> according to Sonic. I had never come across that before!

I didn't realise this and can't see any real reason why it is so but if you
say so.

>Everytime I
> tried to add two video files to the disc the computer locked up.

How long did you leave it before deciding it had locked up? Nero and video
files have a habit of "pretending" to lock up. What disc mode are we
talking about here?

> Does Nero 6 support long file names? Nero 5.5 I have, wanted to
> truncate a couple of file names when I went to add the two /div files
> to the MP3 backup disc, so I bailed out of that for now.

Nero 5.5 supports long filenames. If the disc is set to ISO level 2 then
it has a max of 31 characters. Below that you can relax the ISO
restrictions and allow pathdepths more than 8 directories and allow 255
characters in a path.

> Then there was the antics of the packet writing software.

Packet writing software is a pain in the arse. I used it for about 3.4
seconds when I got my first 2x CDR. Threw it away and haven't had it
installed since so I can't comment on this.

> Unfortunately the InCD 3 I had with the previous drive would not work
> with the LiteOn so I had to use the Sonic DLA equivalent. Dragged and
> dropped two .div file onto the Verbatim 4x DVD+RW, but from then on
> when inserting the disc into the drive, it would eject again after a
> short period. I tried changing the book type and that stopped the
> disc from ejecting, but this time it just locks up the computer. I
> can't access this disc to erase or reformat it. I am guessing that
> InCD 4 works better?
>

> Fortunately I bought some beer.

So whats your problem?

Karen Parker

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:18:10 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Installed the LiteOn 812S yesterday, updated firmware, burnt some CDs,
>OK.
>
>Comes with Sonic software including RecordNow DX v4.6 (current version
>v7.2). It is a lot like Sony CD Extreme that I had installed but that
>wouldn't work with the new DVD burner. I had uninstalled all Nero
>software to avoid conflicts, as suggested by Sonic. But there is no
>way to get updates. Contrary to the Sonic site there is no automatic
>online update option anywhere and Sonic don't have downloadable
>updates.
>
>Backed up all my MP3s to one DVD+R disc, it supports long file names,
>but find that Windows 98SE doesn't support multisession DVDs,
>according to Sonic. I had never come across that before! Everytime I
>tried to add two video files to the disc the computer locked up.
>
>Does Nero 6 support long file names? Nero 5.5 I have, wanted to
>truncate a couple of file names when I went to add the two /div files
>to the MP3 backup disc, so I bailed out of that for now.
>
>Then there was the antics of the packet writing software.
>Unfortunately the InCD 3 I had with the previous drive would not work
>with the LiteOn so I had to use the Sonic DLA equivalent. Dragged and
>dropped two .div file onto the Verbatim 4x DVD+RW, but from then on
>when inserting the disc into the drive, it would eject again after a
>short period. I tried changing the book type and that stopped the
>disc from ejecting, but this time it just locks up the computer. I
>can't access this disc to erase or reformat it. I am guessing that
>InCD 4 works better?
>
>Fortunately I bought some beer.

NTI I think has the best long file name support.

http://www.ntius.com/default.asp

GraB

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:21:46 +1200, Karen Parker
<(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:18:10 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Installed the LiteOn 812S yesterday, updated firmware, burnt some CDs,
>>OK.
>>
>>Comes with Sonic software including RecordNow DX v4.6 (current version
>>v7.2). It is a lot like Sony CD Extreme that I had installed but that
>>wouldn't work with the new DVD burner. I had uninstalled all Nero
>>software to avoid conflicts, as suggested by Sonic. But there is no
>>way to get updates. Contrary to the Sonic site there is no automatic
>>online update option anywhere and Sonic don't have downloadable
>>updates.
>>
>>Backed up all my MP3s to one DVD+R disc, it supports long file names,
>>but find that Windows 98SE doesn't support multisession DVDs,
>>according to Sonic. I had never come across that before! Everytime I
>>tried to add two video files to the disc the computer locked up.
>>
>>Does Nero 6 support long file names? Nero 5.5 I have, wanted to
>>truncate a couple of file names when I went to add the two /div files
>>to the MP3 backup disc, so I bailed out of that for now.
>>
>>Then there was the antics of the packet writing software.
>>Unfortunately the InCD 3 I had with the previous drive would not work
>>with the LiteOn so I had to use the Sonic DLA equivalent. Dragged and
>>dropped two .div file onto the Verbatim 4x DVD+RW, but from then on
>>when inserting the disc into the drive, it would eject again after a
>>short period. I tried changing the book type and that stopped the
>>disc from ejecting, but this time it just locks up the computer. I
>>can't access this disc to erase or reformat it. I am guessing that
>>InCD 4 works better?
>>
>>Fortunately I bought some beer.

>NTI I think has the best long file name support.
>
>http://www.ntius.com/default.asp

Thankx sweety. I will have a look at it. How long have you been in
xxx?

GraB

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 18:14:34 +1200, "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>GraB wrote:
>> Installed the LiteOn 812S yesterday, updated firmware, burnt some CDs,
>> OK.
>>
>> Comes with Sonic software including RecordNow DX v4.6 (current version
>> v7.2). It is a lot like Sony CD Extreme that I had installed but that
>> wouldn't work with the new DVD burner. I had uninstalled all Nero
>> software to avoid conflicts, as suggested by Sonic. But there is no
>> way to get updates. Contrary to the Sonic site there is no automatic
>> online update option anywhere and Sonic don't have downloadable
>> updates.

>Nero 5.5 is the only burning program I use.
>

>> Backed up all my MP3s to one DVD+R disc, it supports long file names,
>> but find that Windows 98SE doesn't support multisession DVDs,
>> according to Sonic. I had never come across that before!

>I didn't realise this and can't see any real reason why it is so but if you
>say so.

I tried a disc with a demo version of Nero 6, recording data in two
sessions and had no trouble accessing any of the files. So much for
Sonic's claim that 98 can't handle it.

There is no doubt that Ahead do the best software for general CD / DVD
writing.

>>Everytime I
>> tried to add two video files to the disc the computer locked up.

>How long did you leave it before deciding it had locked up? Nero and video
>files have a habit of "pretending" to lock up. What disc mode are we
>talking about here?

Default mode. I gave it a few minutes, but I haven't been able to
access that disc since. Nero had a go at formatting it but gave a
write error message.

>> Does Nero 6 support long file names? Nero 5.5 I have, wanted to
>> truncate a couple of file names when I went to add the two /div files
>> to the MP3 backup disc, so I bailed out of that for now.

>Nero 5.5 supports long filenames. If the disc is set to ISO level 2 then
>it has a max of 31 characters. Below that you can relax the ISO
>restrictions and allow pathdepths more than 8 directories and allow 255
>characters in a path.

I will have another go later. Had a look at the different settings.
It doesn't have to be compatible with DOS or Win3.1 so the setting you
mention will be fine.

>> Then there was the antics of the packet writing software.

>Packet writing software is a pain in the arse. I used it for about 3.4
>seconds when I got my first 2x CDR. Threw it away and haven't had it
>installed since so I can't comment on this.

I had no trouble whatsoever with InCD 3 with the Ricoh CD writer.
Found it handy at times to be able to chuck some files onto a disc
without opening a writing program.

>> Fortunately I bought some beer.

>So whats your problem?

It went away.

Kiwi

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:18:10 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Installed the LiteOn 812S yesterday, updated firmware, burnt some CDs,
>OK.
>
>Comes with Sonic software including RecordNow DX v4.6 (current version
>v7.2). It is a lot like Sony CD Extreme that I had installed but that
>wouldn't work with the new DVD burner. I had uninstalled all Nero
>software to avoid conflicts, as suggested by Sonic. But there is no
>way to get updates. Contrary to the Sonic site there is no automatic
>online update option anywhere and Sonic don't have downloadable
>updates.

Hi GraB,

I have been using the 812S for about 3 months now. The first thing I
did was to install Sonic, try it once and uninstall, as like you I
had previously used Nero and the clunky Sonic interface did not
impress.. My original version of Nero 5.5 would not recognise the
drive, but download the 5.5.10.56 update and it performs faultlessly.

>Backed up all my MP3s to one DVD+R disc, it supports long file names,
>but find that Windows 98SE doesn't support multisession DVDs,
>according to Sonic. I had never come across that before! Everytime I
>tried to add two video files to the disc the computer locked up.

I have done multisession with Nero 5.5 ok.

>Does Nero 6 support long file names? Nero 5.5 I have, wanted to
>truncate a couple of file names when I went to add the two /div files
>to the MP3 backup disc, so I bailed out of that for now.

As cowbozy remarks, long file names are no problem with Nero 5.5

>Then there was the antics of the packet writing software.
>Unfortunately the InCD 3 I had with the previous drive would not work
>with the LiteOn so I had to use the Sonic DLA equivalent. Dragged and
>dropped two .div file onto the Verbatim 4x DVD+RW, but from then on
>when inserting the disc into the drive, it would eject again after a
>short period. I tried changing the book type and that stopped the
>disc from ejecting, but this time it just locks up the computer. I
>can't access this disc to erase or reformat it. I am guessing that
>InCD 4 works better?

I don't use InCD (it conflicted with another app, so I disbled its
startup) so cannot comment about it or the Sonic DLA app.

>Fortunately I bought some beer.

That or wine seem a good idea under the circumstances.

GraB

>I don't use InCD (it conflicted with another app, so I disbled its
>startup) so cannot comment about it or the Sonic DLA app.

I disabled its startup, only to save on system resources, but that
only stopped it appearing in the system tray. It still worked with
formatted CDs. The only time I had to actually start it was to format
a CD.

>>Fortunately I bought some beer.

>That or wine seem a good idea under the circumstances.

Got that too.

Brett

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 22:44:20 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 18:14:34 +1200, "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>GraB wrote:
>>> Installed the LiteOn 812S yesterday, updated firmware, burnt some CDs,
>>> OK.

I dumped the software that came with my liteon, in a word "Crap", took a
bit of work to remove it too, so I would say don't install it at all.

I have win98 (going to xp next week) and use Nero6, it is great and I've
had no problems doing all sorts of strange stuff with it.

Still the drives a great one.

GraB

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:18:10 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Installed the LiteOn 812S yesterday, updated firmware, burnt some CDs,
>OK.
>
>Comes with Sonic software including RecordNow DX v4.6 (current version
>v7.2). It is a lot like Sony CD Extreme that I had installed but that
>wouldn't work with the new DVD burner. I had uninstalled all Nero
>software to avoid conflicts, as suggested by Sonic. But there is no
>way to get updates. Contrary to the Sonic site there is no automatic
>online update option anywhere and Sonic don't have downloadable
>updates.

Got an e-mail back from Sonic. There are no updates available unless
it came bundled with a Sony product. I have to buy a later version.
They must want people to go to Nero.

GraB

>>Backed up all my MP3s to one DVD+R disc, it supports long file names,
>>but find that Windows 98SE doesn't support multisession DVDs,
>>according to Sonic. I had never come across that before! Everytime I
>>tried to add two video files to the disc the computer locked up.
>>

>I have done multisession with Nero 5.5 ok.

What OS?

Did some experimenting tonight. Took a DVD+R that was written with
Sonic RecordNow and added a second session with Nero. In Win98SE the
drive couldn't see the disc. Thought it might be something to do with
two different writing programs so did a fresh disc in two sessions
with Nero, which popped up a warning about some drives and OSs prior
to XP not being able to read multisession write once DVDs, the same
thing again. Drive appears to have no disc in and clicking on the
drive icon produces 'drive not ready' error message. So it seems from
that, that Win98 can't read multisession DVD+Rs but I have a
multisession DVD+RW that it can read.

That puts a slight kink in my style. I don't want to go to XP just so
that I can read multisession DVD+Rs, so will just have to accumulate
the backup data on DVD+RW then copy it onto DVD+Rs when full.