Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > USB Boot

USB Boot

Warwick

I went to buy a usb cradle that takes IDE devices from Dick Smith.
I intended to boot from it.
I noticed the box said "drivers included", which raised an eyebrow, so I
asked one of the reps.
W: "Can I boot from this?, I notice it needs drivers."
DS: "What operating system are you using?"
W:"I want to boot from it."
DS:"What operating system are you using?"
W: [pause] "BIOS".
DS: "No you can't boot from it".
W: "Ok" [leaves shop grumpy and mystified].

Can anyone give me the sus on this ?

I cant get bios revision off laptop, I think its phoenix, and can't be more
than 2 years old.
Desktop is AMI 12/15/2001.

BIOS set up on laptop includes an enable/disable flag for USB legacy
support. (I figure the drivers included in the product are for USB v2, and
BIOS will support v1.1 - or maybe greater).

TIA
Warwick

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Warwick wrote:

> I went to buy a usb cradle that takes IDE devices from Dick Smith.
> I intended to boot from it.
> I noticed the box said "drivers included", which raised an eyebrow, so I
> asked one of the reps.
> W: "Can I boot from this?, I notice it needs drivers."
> DS: "What operating system are you using?"
> W:"I want to boot from it."
> DS:"What operating system are you using?"
> W: [pause] "BIOS".
> DS: "No you can't boot from it".
> W: "Ok" [leaves shop grumpy and mystified].
>
> Can anyone give me the sus on this ?
>
> I cant get bios revision off laptop, I think its phoenix, and can't be more
> than 2 years old.
> Desktop is AMI 12/15/2001.
>
> BIOS set up on laptop includes an enable/disable flag for USB legacy
> support. (I figure the drivers included in the product are for USB v2, and
> BIOS will support v1.1 - or maybe greater).

It depends on if your bios supports boot from USB, many dont.
If it does support that, then it may work, it depend on what sort of
boot support it(the bios) has.

We have Dells and IBMs here at work that both support boot from USB.
The IBMs will boot from USB floppy drives, but not Hdd.
The Dells will boot from USB floppys, and CDroms.
My home machine will boot from all three, and a USB flash drive.

So I guess he could have been correct.

There are also (MS and PC)DOS USB mass storage device drivers(Japanese
only and made by panasonic) floating around "out there" so you can boot
from floppy and access a "USB mass storage device", although I dont know
what qualifies as a mass storage device.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Karen Parker

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:24:07 +1200, Warwick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I went to buy a usb cradle that takes IDE devices from Dick Smith.
>I intended to boot from it.
>I noticed the box said "drivers included", which raised an eyebrow, so I
>asked one of the reps.
>W: "Can I boot from this?, I notice it needs drivers."
>DS: "What operating system are you using?"
>W:"I want to boot from it."
>DS:"What operating system are you using?"
>W: [pause] "BIOS".
>DS: "No you can't boot from it".
>W: "Ok" [leaves shop grumpy and mystified].
>
>Can anyone give me the sus on this ?
>
>I cant get bios revision off laptop, I think its phoenix, and can't be more
>than 2 years old.
>Desktop is AMI 12/15/2001.
>
>BIOS set up on laptop includes an enable/disable flag for USB legacy
>support. (I figure the drivers included in the product are for USB v2, and
>BIOS will support v1.1 - or maybe greater).
>
>TIA
>Warwick

No from as far as i know, no DOS support.

Warwick

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:30:56 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Warwick wrote:
>
>> I went to buy a usb cradle that takes IDE devices from Dick Smith.
>> I intended to boot from it.
>> I noticed the box said "drivers included", which raised an eyebrow, so I
>> asked one of the reps.
>> W: "Can I boot from this?, I notice it needs drivers."
>> DS: "What operating system are you using?"
>> W:"I want to boot from it."
>> DS:"What operating system are you using?"
>> W: [pause] "BIOS".
>> DS: "No you can't boot from it".
>> W: "Ok" [leaves shop grumpy and mystified].
>>
>> Can anyone give me the sus on this ?
>>
>> I cant get bios revision off laptop, I think its phoenix, and can't be more
>> than 2 years old.
>> Desktop is AMI 12/15/2001.
>>
>> BIOS set up on laptop includes an enable/disable flag for USB legacy
>> support. (I figure the drivers included in the product are for USB v2, and
>> BIOS will support v1.1 - or maybe greater).

> It depends on if your bios supports boot from USB, many dont.
> If it does support that, then it may work, it depend on what sort of
> boot support it(the bios) has.
>
> We have Dells and IBMs here at work that both support boot from USB.
> The IBMs will boot from USB floppy drives, but not Hdd.
> The Dells will boot from USB floppys, and CDroms.
> My home machine will boot from all three, and a USB flash drive.
>
> So I guess he could have been correct.
>
> There are also (MS and PC)DOS USB mass storage device drivers(Japanese
> only and made by panasonic) floating around "out there" so you can boot
> from floppy and access a "USB mass storage device", although I dont know
> what qualifies as a mass storage device.

Thanks Dave .

I might see if I can get it on appro overnight. They have done this for me
before.

The USB legacy support in BIOS set up looks promising.
For some reason there is no splash on boot saying the BIOS manufacturer and
version, otherwise I could look it up.

cheers

theseus

Warwick wrote:
> I went to buy a usb cradle that takes IDE devices from Dick Smith.
> I intended to boot from it.
> I noticed the box said "drivers included", which raised an eyebrow,
> so I asked one of the reps.
> W: "Can I boot from this?, I notice it needs drivers."
> DS: "What operating system are you using?"
> W:"I want to boot from it."
> DS:"What operating system are you using?"
> W: [pause] "BIOS".
> DS: "No you can't boot from it".
> W: "Ok" [leaves shop grumpy and mystified].
>
> Can anyone give me the sus on this ?
>
> I cant get bios revision off laptop, I think its phoenix, and can't
> be more than 2 years old.
> Desktop is AMI 12/15/2001.
>
> BIOS set up on laptop includes an enable/disable flag for USB legacy
> support. (I figure the drivers included in the product are for USB
> v2, and BIOS will support v1.1 - or maybe greater).
>
> TIA
> Warwick

If USB is one of the options in the BIOS boot order you can boot from USB
flash keys, I had it working on Via Epia with http://www.flonix.com/
I havent tried an ide enclosure, but I assume that the USB storage firmware
would be best made to function the same way.

Tim

Agree. I created a DOS boot disc the other day using a 256MB USB Flash drive
and some utilities I found on the web.
Linux on it is next (mono) if I can figure out how to write the image under
windows.

- Tim

news:Ci_Uc.4102$(E-Mail Removed)...

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 21:57:14 +1200, Tim wrote:

> Agree. I created a DOS boot disc the other day using a 256MB USB Flash drive
> and some utilities I found on the web.
> Linux on it is next (mono) if I can figure out how to write the image under
> windows.
>
> - Tim

I have wondered if that can be done myself, with cygwin or something.
I just got a complete image off the net to get going and added the modules
I needed once it was running.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Warwick wrote:
>>It depends on if your bios supports boot from USB, many dont.
>>If it does support that, then it may work, it depend on what sort of
>>boot support it(the bios) has.
>>We have Dells and IBMs here at work that both support boot from USB.
>>The IBMs will boot from USB floppy drives, but not Hdd.
>>The Dells will boot from USB floppys, and CDroms.
>>My home machine will boot from all three, and a USB flash drive.
>>So I guess he could have been correct.
>>There are also (MS and PC)DOS USB mass storage device drivers(Japanese
>>only and made by panasonic) floating around "out there" so you can boot
>>from floppy and access a "USB mass storage device", although I dont know
>>what qualifies as a mass storage device.

> I might see if I can get it on appro overnight. They have done this for me
> before.

DSE have a 14 day "if you cant get it to work return it policy" which is
kinda handy sometimes.

> The USB legacy support in BIOS set up looks promising.
> For some reason there is no splash on boot saying the BIOS manufacturer and
> version, otherwise I could look it up.

The USB legacy support option is usually referring to USB Keyboard and
Mouse Support, something well worth turning on, a friend somehow killed
his PS2 ports, and nothing else, luckily he had that enabled, and so
could still use his machine.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

theseus

Tim wrote:
> Agree. I created a DOS boot disc the other day using a 256MB USB
> Flash drive and some utilities I found on the web.
> Linux on it is next (mono) if I can figure out how to write the image
> under windows.
>
> - Tim

You can do it from a Knoppix type distro
http://rz-obrian.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/knoppix-usb/

AD.

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 21:57:14 +1200, Tim wrote:

> Agree. I created a DOS boot disc the other day using a 256MB USB Flash
> drive and some utilities I found on the web. Linux on it is next (mono) if
> I can figure out how to write the image under windows.

Maybe rawrite.exe (DOS/9x) or ntrw.exe (NT/W2K/XP) could write the image?

They can write floppy disk images in Windows, and I'm pretty sure they'd
work for other devices too.

One place to get them from is here:

ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.5/tools/

Cheers
Anton