Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Storage

Storage

Nick

I got more mp3's than this old computer can handle. And so I need to
get another hard rive. At the mo I have a 20 gig, I know, but thats all
I need. part from wanting to keep music on my computer. Anyway, I
thought about getting a 40 or even a 60 gig hard rive since I think, for
now at least, I got all the music I want. Or for that matter need.
Anyway, my question. I don t know much about makes and costs of hard
drive. It either works or it dont huh. But what would be a good hard
drive to get. I don't need the latest wiz bang technological
masterpiece. Just a good, simple basic h/d. Oh yeah. Did I say cheap. lol

wogers nemesis

In article <4121ddc5$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I got more mp3's than this old computer can handle. And so I need to
> get another hard rive. At the mo I have a 20 gig, I know, but thats all
> I need. part from wanting to keep music on my computer. Anyway, I
> thought about getting a 40 or even a 60 gig hard rive since I think, for
> now at least, I got all the music I want. Or for that matter need.
> Anyway, my question. I don t know much about makes and costs of hard
> drive. It either works or it dont huh. But what would be a good hard
> drive to get. I don't need the latest wiz bang technological
> masterpiece. Just a good, simple basic h/d. Oh yeah. Did I say cheap. lol

Get a Seagate with a 5 year warranty..
See http://www.pricespy.co.nz

Karen Parker

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:37:34 +1200, Nick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I got more mp3's than this old computer can handle. And so I need to
>get another hard rive. At the mo I have a 20 gig, I know, but thats all
>I need. part from wanting to keep music on my computer. Anyway, I
>thought about getting a 40 or even a 60 gig hard rive since I think, for
>now at least, I got all the music I want. Or for that matter need.
>Anyway, my question. I don t know much about makes and costs of hard
>drive. It either works or it dont huh. But what would be a good hard
>drive to get. I don't need the latest wiz bang technological
>masterpiece. Just a good, simple basic h/d. Oh yeah. Did I say cheap. lol

DSE are flagged now as the cheapest, I think that 60g is the smallest these
days, but why not burn them on CD's..?

$119 inc for the 60g Maxtor or $133 for the 80g WD

Steve

wogers nemesis wrote:
> In article <4121ddc5$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>>I got more mp3's than this old computer can handle. And so I need to
>>get another hard rive. At the mo I have a 20 gig, I know, but thats all
>>I need. part from wanting to keep music on my computer. Anyway, I
>>thought about getting a 40 or even a 60 gig hard rive since I think, for
>>now at least, I got all the music I want. Or for that matter need.
>>Anyway, my question. I don t know much about makes and costs of hard
>>drive. It either works or it dont huh. But what would be a good hard
>>drive to get. I don't need the latest wiz bang technological
>>masterpiece. Just a good, simple basic h/d. Oh yeah. Did I say cheap. lol
>>

> Get a Seagate with a 5 year warranty..
> See http://www.pricespy.co.nz

....I think that's a 3 year warranty. And I don't think people even sell
40GB disks any more, 80GB up now.

Nick

Karen Parker wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:37:34 +1200, Nick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I got more mp3's than this old computer can handle. And so I need to
>>get another hard rive. At the mo I have a 20 gig, I know, but thats all
>>I need. part from wanting to keep music on my computer. Anyway, I
>>thought about getting a 40 or even a 60 gig hard rive since I think, for
>>now at least, I got all the music I want. Or for that matter need.
>>Anyway, my question. I don t know much about makes and costs of hard
>>drive. It either works or it dont huh. But what would be a good hard
>>drive to get. I don't need the latest wiz bang technological
>>masterpiece. Just a good, simple basic h/d. Oh yeah. Did I say cheap. lol

> DSE are flagged now as the cheapest, I think that 60g is the smallest these
> days, but why not burn them on CD's..?
>
> $119 inc for the 60g Maxtor or $133 for the 80g WD

Already backed up onto cd thanks. But to ahve em on the computer saves
****ing around with cd's when you want to look for a song huh.

Nick

Karen Parker wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:37:34 +1200, Nick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I got more mp3's than this old computer can handle. And so I need to
>>get another hard rive. At the mo I have a 20 gig, I know, but thats all
>>I need. part from wanting to keep music on my computer. Anyway, I
>>thought about getting a 40 or even a 60 gig hard rive since I think, for
>>now at least, I got all the music I want. Or for that matter need.
>>Anyway, my question. I don t know much about makes and costs of hard
>>drive. It either works or it dont huh. But what would be a good hard
>>drive to get. I don't need the latest wiz bang technological
>>masterpiece. Just a good, simple basic h/d. Oh yeah. Did I say cheap. lol

> DSE are flagged now as the cheapest, I think that 60g is the smallest these
> days, but why not burn them on CD's..?
>
> $119 inc for the 60g Maxtor or $133 for the 80g WD

Already backed up onto cd thanks. But to ahve em on the computer saves
****ing around with cd's when you want to look for a song huh.

colinco

In article Steve says...
> ...I think that's a 3 year warranty. And I don't think people even sell
> 40GB disks any more, 80GB up now.

Seagate have upped their warranty to 5yr. Ascent show 60 Months for
Seagate. You can still get 40s and 60s but they are older stock priced
almost as high as an 80.