Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Data Projectors - APM

Data Projectors - APM

frederick

Do any or most data projectors support APM Monitor power off / power on?
This seems not to be stated in specifications that I have seen. One
that I have fiddled with did not seem to support APM, but did have a
built-in countdown timer function to power off / standby.

thanks

Nigel

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:42:47 +1200, frederick wrote:

> Do any or most data projectors support APM Monitor power off / power on?
> This seems not to be stated in specifications that I have seen. One that
> I have fiddled with did not seem to support APM, but did have a built-in
> countdown timer function to power off / standby.
>
> thanks

The Dell ones do I believe, not sure of the model but the one I used would
go into standby mode ( not always at the best of times ).

Nigel

P.S. Given the price of DLP bulbs I'd be surprised if any DLP projector
didn't do this.

frederick

"Nigel" <sgidude_@_yahoo.co.nz> wrote in message
newsan.2004.08.17.01.28.16.421992@_yahoo.co.nz.. .
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:42:47 +1200, frederick wrote:
>
> > Do any or most data projectors support APM Monitor power off / power

on?
> > This seems not to be stated in specifications that I have seen. One

that
> > I have fiddled with did not seem to support APM, but did have a

built-in
> > countdown timer function to power off / standby.
> >
> > thanks

> The Dell ones do I believe, not sure of the model but the one I used

would
> go into standby mode ( not always at the best of times ).
>
> Nigel
>
> P.S. Given the price of DLP bulbs I'd be surprised if any DLP

projector
> didn't do this.

I wondered whether the fact that resetting power options can be a pain
in the behind - or just something forgotten about, combined with the
nuisance value of having a monitor power-off occur in the middle of a
presentation, might mean that APM support is more nuisance than it is
worth to many users. It doesn't seem high in the priority of features
listed by manufacturers / resellers.

The bulb cost of about 50c / hour isn't bad IMO - though maybe a home
user would want to glue a piggy bank to the machine, and feed it by the
hour.

Nigel

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:01:33 +1200, frederick wrote:

> "Nigel" <sgidude_@_yahoo.co.nz> wrote in message
> newsan.2004.08.17.01.28.16.421992@_yahoo.co.nz.. .
>> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:42:47 +1200, frederick wrote:
>>
>> > Do any or most data projectors support APM Monitor power off / power

> on?
>> > This seems not to be stated in specifications that I have seen. One

> that
>> > I have fiddled with did not seem to support APM, but did have a

> built-in
>> > countdown timer function to power off / standby.
>> >
>> > thanks

>> The Dell ones do I believe, not sure of the model but the one I used

> would
>> go into standby mode ( not always at the best of times ).
>>
>> Nigel
>>
>> P.S. Given the price of DLP bulbs I'd be surprised if any DLP

> projector
>> didn't do this.

> I wondered whether the fact that resetting power options can be a pain in
> the behind - or just something forgotten about, combined with the nuisance
> value of having a monitor power-off occur in the middle of a presentation,
> might mean that APM support is more nuisance than it is worth to many
> users. It doesn't seem high in the priority of features listed by
> manufacturers / resellers.
>
> The bulb cost of about 50c / hour isn't bad IMO - though maybe a home user
> would want to glue a piggy bank to the machine, and feed it by the hour.

50c an hour seems a bit high actually, I'm not sure about projectors but
we were at about $500USD for a bulb on cubes & they lasted around 2,500
hours. It starts adding up for a 42 cube video wall mind you & even for
offices if you have 20+ projectors in the building.

I'd say it's a handy feature myself, I'd rather the laptop/PC controlled
the APM than the projector itself, then it's all in one place. But it
would depend on the usage, ours was in a meeting room for internal
presentations so was never really an issue, much more important if it's
for prospective clients.

Good Luck

Nigel

Patrick Dunford

In article <1092703442.917718@ftpsrv1> in nz.comp on Tue, 17 Aug 2004
12:42:47 +1200, frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> Do any or most data projectors support APM Monitor power off / power on?
> This seems not to be stated in specifications that I have seen. One
> that I have fiddled with did not seem to support APM, but did have a
> built-in countdown timer function to power off / standby.

I think there is only limited support for computer display standards such
as DDC and APM.

But if you want the projector to power itself off, look in the
instruction manual for an auto off setting.

Let's make it clear, you don't want a projector powering itself on and
off like a screen. Repeated short on-off cycles will shorten the life of
the bulb and they are very expensive to replace.

newsan.2004.08.17.03.35.25.166101@_yahoo.co.nz.. .
/ resellers.

> > The bulb cost of about 50c / hour isn't bad IMO - though maybe a

home user
> > would want to glue a piggy bank to the machine, and feed it by the

hour.
> 50c an hour seems a bit high actually, I'm not sure about projectors

but
> we were at about $500USD for a bulb on cubes & they lasted around

2,500
> hours. It starts adding up for a 42 cube video wall mind you & even

for
> offices if you have 20+ projectors in the building.
>
> I'd say it's a handy feature myself, I'd rather the laptop/PC

controlled
> the APM than the projector itself, then it's all in one place. But it
> would depend on the usage, ours was in a meeting room for internal
> presentations so was never really an issue, much more important if

it's
> for prospective clients.
>
> Good Luck
>
> Nigel

I was looking at methods to simply detect and overrride windows apm
settings. IMO it is a pain to have to consider and change settings for
screensaver, sleep/standby, and monitor power if using a laptop for
display via a data projector, and then set them back to normal later.
It should be a "one click" job to override / reset. I wondered whether
the monitor on/off functions might have use for unattended display - not
that I imagine there is great appeal in leaving a few thousand $$ of
gear "unattended" too long.

Patrick D suggests that short cycles may shorten the life of the lamps.
That makes sense. The "estimated life" quoted by the manufacturer
typically makes a point of stating that lamp life is an estimate, based
on environmental and usage conditions, but generally don't go on to
explain what those conditions are. I expect that he is right - but is
there some data somewhere to show that this has been tested? Would 2000
one hour sessions be a problem, or would 20,000 six minute sessions be
the problem?

Nigel

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:36:57 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:

> In article <1092703442.917718@ftpsrv1> in nz.comp on Tue, 17 Aug 2004
> 12:42:47 +1200, frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
>> Do any or most data projectors support APM Monitor power off / power on?
>> This seems not to be stated in specifications that I have seen. One
>> that I have fiddled with did not seem to support APM, but did have a
>> built-in countdown timer function to power off / standby.

> I think there is only limited support for computer display standards such
> as DDC and APM.
>
> But if you want the projector to power itself off, look in the instruction
> manual for an auto off setting.
>
> Let's make it clear, you don't want a projector powering itself on and off
> like a screen. Repeated short on-off cycles will shorten the life of the
> bulb and they are very expensive to replace.

It's a trade off though is it not, balancing the on/off problem ( which
bulbs hate ) with being left on & prematurely wearing out.

Not an easy balance

Nigel

P.S. The projector we had seemed to be quite smart at looking after it's
bulb, in terms of working to manage the temperature of it when it was
turned off & then being turned back on.
The real killer would be pulling the plug on the projector before the bulb
had been cooled down, that & touching the bulb ( they just hate the oils
from your skin ) .

Patrick Dunford

In article <1092715704.272741@ftpsrv1> in nz.comp on Tue, 17 Aug 2004
16:07:32 +1200, frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> "Nigel" <sgidude_@_yahoo.co.nz> wrote in message
> newsan.2004.08.17.03.35.25.166101@_yahoo.co.nz.. .
> / resellers.
> > >
> > > The bulb cost of about 50c / hour isn't bad IMO - though maybe a

> home user
> > > would want to glue a piggy bank to the machine, and feed it by the

> hour.
> > 50c an hour seems a bit high actually, I'm not sure about projectors

> but
> > we were at about $500USD for a bulb on cubes & they lasted around

> 2,500
> > hours. It starts adding up for a 42 cube video wall mind you & even

> for
> > offices if you have 20+ projectors in the building.
> >
> > I'd say it's a handy feature myself, I'd rather the laptop/PC

> controlled
> > the APM than the projector itself, then it's all in one place. But it
> > would depend on the usage, ours was in a meeting room for internal
> > presentations so was never really an issue, much more important if

> it's
> > for prospective clients.
> >
> > Good Luck
> >
> > Nigel

> I was looking at methods to simply detect and overrride windows apm
> settings. IMO it is a pain to have to consider and change settings for
> screensaver, sleep/standby, and monitor power if using a laptop for
> display via a data projector, and then set them back to normal later.
> It should be a "one click" job to override / reset. I wondered whether
> the monitor on/off functions might have use for unattended display - not
> that I imagine there is great appeal in leaving a few thousand $$ of
> gear "unattended" too long.
>
> Patrick D suggests that short cycles may shorten the life of the lamps.
> That makes sense. The "estimated life" quoted by the manufacturer
> typically makes a point of stating that lamp life is an estimate, based
> on environmental and usage conditions, but generally don't go on to
> explain what those conditions are. I expect that he is right - but is
> there some data somewhere to show that this has been tested? Would 2000
> one hour sessions be a problem, or would 20,000 six minute sessions be
> the problem?

All I can give you are the instructions from Sanyo, who make a range of
projectors from $2000 home units up to 10,000 lumens 4-lamp fixed
projectors designed to be stacked in multiples.

They state the lamp should not be turned off until at least 5 minutes
after it has been turned on.

Lamps normally do blow when they are first turned on, but projectors may
have a slow start feature to limit the inrush current through a cold
filament.

There is going to be an issue with repetitive thermal cycling on-off of a
lamp IMO. They become very hot and the heat normally has to be removed by
a fan, which often keeps running after the lamp has turned off in order
to cool the insides of the projector down.

Why are the lamps so expensive? Compared to a halogen light, which is
yellowish and has a life of only about 50 hours, the light produced by a
metal halide lamp is very white and they typically have a life of 1000
hours or more, although the actual light output will steadily decline
throughout the life of the bulb.

Nigel

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:07:32 +1200, frederick wrote:

> I was looking at methods to simply detect and overrride windows apm
> settings. IMO it is a pain to have to consider and change settings for
> screensaver, sleep/standby, and monitor power if using a laptop for
> display via a data projector, and then set them back to normal later. It
> should be a "one click" job to override / reset. I wondered whether the
> monitor on/off functions might have use for unattended display - not that
> I imagine there is great appeal in leaving a few thousand $$ of gear
> "unattended" too long.

I agree on the one click, but I have no idea how on windows.

Not so sure about the unattended comment, could be handy for trade shows
or leaving a Doom 3 scene going to frighten the cleaners .

> Patrick D suggests that short cycles may shorten the life of the lamps.
> That makes sense. The "estimated life" quoted by the manufacturer
> typically makes a point of stating that lamp life is an estimate, based
> on environmental and usage conditions, but generally don't go on to
> explain what those conditions are. I expect that he is right - but is
> there some data somewhere to show that this has been tested? Would 2000
> one hour sessions be a problem, or would 20,000 six minute sessions be
> the problem?

We left the cubes on 24x7, but they were in use for around 14 hours a day.

Tough to know, the other problem is they degrade ( at about 80% roughly of
life span ) rather than blow, so knowing when to replace the bulb might
not be so easy.

From what I got told turning on/off is not great, but shutting off (
pulling the cable ) is what they really hate, they run pretty hot & like
to be cooled down.

Nigel

Nigel

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:17:59 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:

> Why are the lamps so expensive? Compared to a halogen light, which is
> yellowish and has a life of only about 50 hours, the light produced by a
> metal halide lamp is very white and they typically have a life of 1000
> hours or more, although the actual light output will steadily decline
> throughout the life of the bulb.

Mmm, not so sure about the steady decline, I though they stayed pretty
constant for about 80% of life & then decline. That was what I got told
anyways.

Nigel