Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Kazaa gone to the pack

Kazaa gone to the pack

Warwick

Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The version
offered today is a lot different to the one I had been using.

Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans, and
one is clearly spyware.

Bastards.

cheers

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Warwick wrote:
> Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
> themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans, and
> one is clearly spyware.
> Bastards.

boy you must have been using an old version, it's had spyware in it for
quiet some time.

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:16:31 +1200, Warwick <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The version
> offered today is a lot different to the one I had been using.
>
> Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
> themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans, and
> one is clearly spyware.
>
> Bastards.

So why did you suppose it was going to be any different? This info is in
the public domain.

John B

Warwick wrote:
> Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The
> version offered today is a lot different to the one I had been using.
>
> Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
> themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans,
> and one is clearly spyware.
>
> Bastards.
>
> cheers

Use Kazaa Lite K++

--
Nothing that I say here is my final answer. I'm happy to revise,
retune, or reverse myself anytime I learn something new.

John B

Warwick

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:39:44 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on
> Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:16:31 +1200, Warwick <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
>> Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The version
>> offered today is a lot different to the one I had been using.
>>
>> Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
>> themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans, and
>> one is clearly spyware.
>>
>> Bastards.

> So why did you suppose it was going to be any different? This info is in
> the public domain.

Maybe you misunderstood me, or perhaps presumed that I would check the web
for comments/reports on kazaa.

The version I had been using was spyware, but it was tolerable. Two cydoor
registry keys from memory. They did sweet FA anyway, and adaware managed
them fine.

What is going on in this release is quite different.
bbss search engine is running flat out trying to connect to the web, this
is after I closed all the related programs. So its running a service as
well. There are nags to play on games sites, and a nag to trial a special
firewall for two months.

btw in an installation that is less than 24 hours old, adaware found 82
objects and AVG one virus. I reckon the whole ****ing lot came off the
kazaa install. ( I didn't bother to try and check provenance - which I
might have been able to do on file creation date/times alone, since the
install is so new).

steve

Warwick wrote:

> Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The version
> offered today is a lot different to the one I had been using.
>
> Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
> themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans, and
> one is clearly spyware.
>
> Bastards.
>
> cheers

You want Kazaa Lite.....which isn't available any more other than from
people who already have it.

If you can get onto Kazaa, then you can easily find Kazaa Lite...and
download it.

Or use some other P2P software.

steve

John B wrote:

> Warwick wrote:
>> Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The
>> version offered today is a lot different to the one I had been using.
>>
>> Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
>> themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans,
>> and one is clearly spyware.
>>
>> Bastards.
>>
>> cheers

> Use Kazaa Lite K++

That isn't easily found any more.

They have been frightened by lawyers and gone to being a paid service.

You need to get it from people who already have v2.4.2.

Warwick

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:38:42 +1200, steve wrote:

> Warwick wrote:
>
>> Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The version
>> offered today is a lot different to the one I had been using.
>>
>> Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
>> themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans, and
>> one is clearly spyware.
>>
>> Bastards.
>>
>> cheers

> You want Kazaa Lite.....which isn't available any more other than from
> people who already have it.
>
> If you can get onto Kazaa, then you can easily find Kazaa Lite...and
> download it.
>
> Or use some other P2P software.

Hey thanks! That is exactly what I will do.

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:38:42 +1200, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Warwick wrote:
>
>> Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The version
>> offered today is a lot different to the one I had been using.
>>
>> Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
>> themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans, and
>> one is clearly spyware.
>>
>> Bastards.
>>
>> cheers

>You want Kazaa Lite.....which isn't available any more other than from
>people who already have it.
>
>If you can get onto Kazaa, then you can easily find Kazaa Lite...and
>download it.
>
>Or use some other P2P software.

Yes K-Lite V2.6, it took 5 dnloads to get one that works..

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:39:41 +1200, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John B wrote:
>
>> Warwick wrote:
>>> Just downloaded kazaa as part of rebuilding a windows install. The
>>> version offered today is a lot different to the one I had been using.
>>>
>>> Three different bundled applications now, all of which have placed
>>> themselves unbidden into the start up routine, 2 behave like trojans,
>>> and one is clearly spyware.
>>>
>>> Bastards.
>>>
>>> cheers

>> Use Kazaa Lite K++

>That isn't easily found any more.
>
>They have been frightened by lawyers and gone to being a paid service.
>
>You need to get it from people who already have v2.4.2.

No you need K-Lite 2.6