Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Laptops XP Logins

Laptops XP Logins

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Patrick Dunford wrote:
>>>The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
>>>plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
>>>the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.

>>If they have already logged in once to the laptop, it should load a
>>cached copy of their network profile.
>>Is there a specific need for them to have local logons too? assuming
>>that they have already done above and can use it as what is effectivly a
>>"local logon" anyway.

> So you can "log into the domain" even when you're not physically
> connected?

nope, but you can logon using the cached credentials.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Disco Stu

Patrick Dunford wrote:
> I just remembered the other reason why we don't want to use a roaming
> profile.
>
> We don't want to cache their desktop and all the subfolders in the
> profile because it takes too long to send it back to the server at
> logoff. Also there is a quota limitation on the server for profile size.

I create local user accounts for use when off network.

Users need to be trained to change domains at logon, but that's about it.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Disco Stu wrote:
> Patrick Dunford wrote:
>> I just remembered the other reason why we don't want to use a roaming
>> profile.
>>
>> We don't want to cache their desktop and all the subfolders in the
>> profile because it takes too long to send it back to the server at
>> logoff. Also there is a quota limitation on the server for profile
>> size.

> I create local user accounts for use when off network.

Not necessary - see my reply above....

> Users need to be trained to change domains at logon, but that's about
> it.

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Thu, 19
Aug 2004 11:45:59 +1200, Disco Stu <stu@springfield_dance_studio.com>
says...
> Patrick Dunford wrote:
> > I just remembered the other reason why we don't want to use a roaming
> > profile.
> >
> > We don't want to cache their desktop and all the subfolders in the
> > profile because it takes too long to send it back to the server at
> > logoff. Also there is a quota limitation on the server for profile size.

> I create local user accounts for use when off network.
>
> Users need to be trained to change domains at logon, but that's about it.

But your user now has two user profiles. Each profile has its own
settings.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Patrick Dunford wrote:
>>>I just remembered the other reason why we don't want to use a roaming
>>>profile.
>>>We don't want to cache their desktop and all the subfolders in the
>>>profile because it takes too long to send it back to the server at
>>>logoff. Also there is a quota limitation on the server for profile size.

>>I create local user accounts for use when off network.
>>Users need to be trained to change domains at logon, but that's about it.

> But your user now has two user profiles. Each profile has its own
> settings.

and permissions.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

T-Boy

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Thu, 19
> Aug 2004 11:45:59 +1200, Disco Stu <stu@springfield_dance_studio.com>
> says...
> > Patrick Dunford wrote:
> > > I just remembered the other reason why we don't want to use a roaming
> > > profile.
> > >
> > > We don't want to cache their desktop and all the subfolders in the
> > > profile because it takes too long to send it back to the server at
> > > logoff. Also there is a quota limitation on the server for profile size.

> > I create local user accounts for use when off network.
> >
> > Users need to be trained to change domains at logon, but that's about it.

> But your user now has two user profiles. Each profile has its own
> settings.

So use the domain logon. How many times has this been replied to you
now ???

--
Duncan

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed) > in nz.comp
on Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:26:34 +1200, T-Boy <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Thu, 19
> > Aug 2004 11:45:59 +1200, Disco Stu <stu@springfield_dance_studio.com>
> > says...

> > > I create local user accounts for use when off network.
> > >
> > > Users need to be trained to change domains at logon, but that's about it.

> > But your user now has two user profiles. Each profile has its own
> > settings.

> So use the domain logon. How many times has this been replied to you
> now ???

Try reading.

T-Boy

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) > in nz.comp
> on Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:26:34 +1200, T-Boy <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> > (E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> > > In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Thu, 19
> > > Aug 2004 11:45:59 +1200, Disco Stu <stu@springfield_dance_studio.com>
> > > says...

> > > But your user now has two user profiles. Each profile has its own
> > > settings.

> > So use the domain logon. How many times has this been replied to you
> > now ???

> Try reading.

10 x - yer blind!

Subject: Re: Laptops XP Logins
From: T-Boy <(E-Mail Removed)>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web, nz.comp
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:26:11 +1200

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> OK, everyone on a corporate network must have faced this one. Your users
> have laptops and are joined to the domain so that they can log into the
> server just as if they were working at a desktop PC.
>
> The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
> plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
> the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.
>
> The server is set up to deliver roaming profiles automatically, can it be
> overridden in a local machine? And then can I make the two different
> logins, the server one and the local one, use the same local profile?

What's wrong with logging on to the domain when you're not physically
connected to it? (The logon goes fine - uses cached credentials). VPN
to the domain (if req'd). OWA to exchange. Where's the prob ???

The only thing (domain wise) is that it might be prudent to have some AD
OU's like: "Desktop" and "Portable" (or whatever) and apply a tighter
lockdown for portable users. (MS have something on that somewhere on
their website - and MS's Security Guidance Kit (I think that's what it's
called).

--
Duncan

From: "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web, nz.comp
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:23:52 +1200

From: K T T <(E-Mail Removed)>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web, nz.comp
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:08:40 +1200

Patrick Dunford wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Mon, 16 Aug 2004
> 20:23:52 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz
> <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> says...
>
>>Patrick Dunford wrote:
>>
>>>The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
>>>plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile

from
>>>the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.

>>If they have already logged in once to the laptop, it should load a
>>cached copy of their network profile.
>>Is there a specific need for them to have local logons too? assuming
>>that they have already done above and can use it as what is effectivly

>>"local logon" anyway.

> So you can "log into the domain" even when you're not physically
> connected?

Yes

From: "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web, nz.comp
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:27:34 +1200

From: (E-Mail Removed) (Nathan Mercer)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web, nz.comp
Date: 16 Aug 2004 03:43:46 -0700

Patrick Dunford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:
<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> OK, everyone on a corporate network must have faced this one. Your users
> have laptops and are joined to the domain so that they can log into the
> server just as if they were working at a desktop PC.
>
> The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
> plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
> the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.
>
> The server is set up to deliver roaming profiles automatically, can it be
> overridden in a local machine? And then can I make the two different
> logins, the server one and the local one, use the same local profile?

Windows XP has cached credentials. Logon when plugged into the LAN,
and then you can login offline with the same account
Perhaps you have disabled it? I'm pretty sure its on by default

Cheers
Nathan

From: T-Boy <(E-Mail Removed)>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web, nz.comp
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:23:24 +1200

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) > in nz.comp
> on Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:10:42 +1200, Patrick Dunford
> <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed) > in nz.comp
> > on 16 Aug 2004 03:43:46 -0700, Nathan Mercer <(E-Mail Removed)> says...

> > > Windows XP has cached credentials. Logon when plugged into the LAN,
> > > and then you can login offline with the same account
> > > Perhaps you have disabled it? I'm pretty sure its on by default

> > Probably on, but we never tried it
> >
> > Does it just use the local cached version of the profile?

> I just remembered the other reason why we don't want to use a roaming
> profile.
>
> We don't want to cache their desktop and all the subfolders in the
> profile because it takes too long to send it back to the server at
> logoff. Also there is a quota limitation on the server for profile size.

*Cached logon credentials* - nothing to do with the profile - per se.

--
Duncan

From: "Terry" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Newsgroups: nz.comp
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 08:22:24 +1200

There is an entry in the Group Policy that allows you to remove portions
of
the profile from roaming. This means these folders/files will not copy
the network, thereby bloating the network copy of the roaming profile.
Run gpedit.msc
Go to:
UC\AT\S\UP\Exclude directories in roaming profile

UC means User Configuration, the rest you should be able to work out.
There
is a limit to the number of characters that can be entered here, not in
terms of stopping you from typing more, but it stops working if the
limit is
exceeded. Microsoft has a KB on it, not sure what the number is at
present.
They have other articles about this feature as well.

I personally exclude:
Start Menu;Desktop;My Documents;My Documents\My Pictures;Application
Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent

Some of these fodlers not only represent lots in terms of file sizes,
but
also in the last instance, lots of little files (shortcuts), which with
the
block size on the network result in a lot of slack space, and lots of
time
taken to copy up and down (well check anyway each time a logon/logoff
occurs).

Terry...

From: Disco Stu <stu@springfield_dance_studio.com>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web, nz.comp
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:45:59 +1200

From: "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<(E-Mail Removed) ahoo.com>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web, nz.comp
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:47:45 -0400

From: "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web, nz.comp
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:11:44 +1200

Patrick Dunford wrote:
>>>I just remembered the other reason why we don't want to use a roaming
>>>profile.
>>>We don't want to cache their desktop and all the subfolders in the
>>>profile because it takes too long to send it back to the server at
>>>logoff. Also there is a quota limitation on the server for profile

size.

>>I create local user accounts for use when off network.
>>Users need to be trained to change domains at logon, but that's about

it.

> But your user now has two user profiles. Each profile has its own
> settings.

and permissions.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

--
Duncan

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed) > in nz.comp
on Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:34:31 +1200, T-Boy <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed) > in nz.comp
> > on Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:26:34 +1200, T-Boy <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> > > In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> > > (E-Mail Removed)lid says...

> > > So use the domain logon. How many times has this been replied to you
> > > now ???

> > Try reading.

> 10 x - yer blind!

You are wrong. I was replying to the previous poster who said he created
separate offline logins.

Rob

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> >>I create local user accounts for use when off network.
> >>Users need to be trained to change domains at logon, but that's about it.

> > But your user now has two user profiles. Each profile has its own
> > settings.

> and permissions.

Login as the local user and set their domain credentials in the
Control Panel:

In Control Panel, go User Accounts -> User Accounts -> Advanced (tab)
-> Manage Passwords -> Add

Put in "domainname\*" for the Server field and the other credentials
are self-explanatory.

Now they can login locally but access all domain resources as if they
had logged in to the domain. I've done this for a few laptop users
and they can use Exchange and everything whilst only having one
profile.

Wireless link not established until user logins on Windows 2000 Server Rob Nicholson Wireless Networking 2 11-29-2005 07:16 PM
AS5300: Preventing multiple logins of the same account Pavlov Cisco 0 11-23-2004 04:39 PM
Laptops,laptops Mark Computer Support 1 09-20-2004 05:10 AM
Disallowing Logins to Routers Matt Cisco 1 05-21-2004 03:55 PM
Does PIX 515, Version 6.3.1 Support simultaneous logins? Jason Cisco 2 04-28-2004 07:21 PM

Advertisments