Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Laptops XP Logins

Laptops XP Logins

Patrick Dunford

OK, everyone on a corporate network must have faced this one. Your users
have laptops and are joined to the domain so that they can log into the
server just as if they were working at a desktop PC.

The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.

The server is set up to deliver roaming profiles automatically, can it be
overridden in a local machine? And then can I make the two different
logins, the server one and the local one, use the same local profile?

T-Boy

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> OK, everyone on a corporate network must have faced this one. Your users
> have laptops and are joined to the domain so that they can log into the
> server just as if they were working at a desktop PC.
>
> The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
> plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
> the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.
>
> The server is set up to deliver roaming profiles automatically, can it be
> overridden in a local machine? And then can I make the two different
> logins, the server one and the local one, use the same local profile?

What's wrong with logging on to the domain when you're not physically
connected to it? (The logon goes fine - uses cached credentials). VPN
to the domain (if req'd). OWA to exchange. Where's the prob ???

The only thing (domain wise) is that it might be prudent to have some AD
OU's like: "Desktop" and "Portable" (or whatever) and apply a tighter
lockdown for portable users. (MS have something on that somewhere on
their website - and MS's Security Guidance Kit (I think that's what it's
called).

--
Duncan

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Patrick Dunford wrote:
> The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
> plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
> the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.

If they have already logged in once to the laptop, it should load a
cached copy of their network profile.
Is there a specific need for them to have local logons too? assuming
that they have already done above and can use it as what is effectivly a
"local logon" anyway.

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Mon, 16 Aug 2004
20:23:52 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz
<Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> says...
> Patrick Dunford wrote:
> > The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
> > plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
> > the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.

> If they have already logged in once to the laptop, it should load a
> cached copy of their network profile.
> Is there a specific need for them to have local logons too? assuming
> that they have already done above and can use it as what is effectivly a
> "local logon" anyway.

So you can "log into the domain" even when you're not physically
connected?

K T T

Patrick Dunford wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Mon, 16 Aug 2004
> 20:23:52 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz
> <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> says...
>
>>Patrick Dunford wrote:
>>
>>>The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
>>>plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
>>>the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.

>>If they have already logged in once to the laptop, it should load a
>>cached copy of their network profile.
>>Is there a specific need for them to have local logons too? assuming
>>that they have already done above and can use it as what is effectivly a
>>"local logon" anyway.

> So you can "log into the domain" even when you're not physically
> connected?

Yes

Nathan Mercer

Patrick Dunford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) .nz>...
> OK, everyone on a corporate network must have faced this one. Your users
> have laptops and are joined to the domain so that they can log into the
> server just as if they were working at a desktop PC.
>
> The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
> plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
> the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.
>
> The server is set up to deliver roaming profiles automatically, can it be
> overridden in a local machine? And then can I make the two different
> logins, the server one and the local one, use the same local profile?

Windows XP has cached credentials. Logon when plugged into the LAN,
and then you can login offline with the same account
Perhaps you have disabled it? I'm pretty sure its on by default

Cheers
Nathan

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed) > in nz.comp
on 16 Aug 2004 03:43:46 -0700, Nathan Mercer <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> Patrick Dunford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) .nz>...
> > OK, everyone on a corporate network must have faced this one. Your users
> > have laptops and are joined to the domain so that they can log into the
> > server just as if they were working at a desktop PC.
> >
> > The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
> > plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
> > the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.
> >
> > The server is set up to deliver roaming profiles automatically, can it be
> > overridden in a local machine? And then can I make the two different
> > logins, the server one and the local one, use the same local profile?

> Windows XP has cached credentials. Logon when plugged into the LAN,
> and then you can login offline with the same account
> Perhaps you have disabled it? I'm pretty sure its on by default

Probably on, but we never tried it

Does it just use the local cached version of the profile?

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed) > in nz.comp
on Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:10:42 +1200, Patrick Dunford
<(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) > in nz.comp
> on 16 Aug 2004 03:43:46 -0700, Nathan Mercer <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> > Patrick Dunford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) .nz>...
> > > OK, everyone on a corporate network must have faced this one. Your users
> > > have laptops and are joined to the domain so that they can log into the
> > > server just as if they were working at a desktop PC.
> > >
> > > The problem is that they need a local login to use when they are not
> > > plugged into the network, and this gives them a different profile from
> > > the roaming one that gets downloaded from the server.
> > >
> > > The server is set up to deliver roaming profiles automatically, can it be
> > > overridden in a local machine? And then can I make the two different
> > > logins, the server one and the local one, use the same local profile?

> > Windows XP has cached credentials. Logon when plugged into the LAN,
> > and then you can login offline with the same account
> > Perhaps you have disabled it? I'm pretty sure its on by default

> Probably on, but we never tried it
>
> Does it just use the local cached version of the profile?

I just remembered the other reason why we don't want to use a roaming
profile.

We don't want to cache their desktop and all the subfolders in the
profile because it takes too long to send it back to the server at
logoff. Also there is a quota limitation on the server for profile size.

T-Boy

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) > in nz.comp
> on Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:10:42 +1200, Patrick Dunford
> <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed) > in nz.comp
> > on 16 Aug 2004 03:43:46 -0700, Nathan Mercer <(E-Mail Removed)> says...

> > > Windows XP has cached credentials. Logon when plugged into the LAN,
> > > and then you can login offline with the same account
> > > Perhaps you have disabled it? I'm pretty sure its on by default

> > Probably on, but we never tried it
> >
> > Does it just use the local cached version of the profile?

> I just remembered the other reason why we don't want to use a roaming
> profile.
>
> We don't want to cache their desktop and all the subfolders in the
> profile because it takes too long to send it back to the server at
> logoff. Also there is a quota limitation on the server for profile size.

*Cached logon credentials* - nothing to do with the profile - per se.

--
Duncan

Terry

There is an entry in the Group Policy that allows you to remove portions of
the profile from roaming. This means these folders/files will not copy to
the network, thereby bloating the network copy of the roaming profile.
Run gpedit.msc
Go to:
UC\AT\S\UP\Exclude directories in roaming profile

UC means User Configuration, the rest you should be able to work out. There
is a limit to the number of characters that can be entered here, not in
terms of stopping you from typing more, but it stops working if the limit is
exceeded. Microsoft has a KB on it, not sure what the number is at present.
They have other articles about this feature as well.

I personally exclude:
Start Menu;Desktop;My Documents;My Documents\My Pictures;Application
Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent

Some of these fodlers not only represent lots in terms of file sizes, but
also in the last instance, lots of little files (shortcuts), which with the
block size on the network result in a lot of slack space, and lots of time
taken to copy up and down (well check anyway each time a logon/logoff
occurs).

Terry...

Wireless link not established until user logins on Windows 2000 Server Rob Nicholson Wireless Networking 2 11-29-2005 07:16 PM
AS5300: Preventing multiple logins of the same account Pavlov Cisco 0 11-23-2004 04:39 PM
Laptops,laptops Mark Computer Support 1 09-20-2004 05:10 AM
Disallowing Logins to Routers Matt Cisco 1 05-21-2004 03:55 PM
Does PIX 515, Version 6.3.1 Support simultaneous logins? Jason Cisco 2 04-28-2004 07:21 PM

Advertisments