Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > email via SMS

email via SMS

will

hi,

i remember i used to be able to send email via the SMS service on mobile
phones, i did a couple of times via Vodafone on a Alcatel phone about 3
years ago, cost the same as a normal TXT.

is this service still available? or has it been replaced by GPRS & friends?

my current phone, a Seimens, only takes numbers so i can't even try
entering an email address.

cheers,

will.

Malcolm

will wrote:
> hi,
>
> i remember i used to be able to send email via the SMS service on mobile
> phones, i did a couple of times via Vodafone on a Alcatel phone about 3
> years ago, cost the same as a normal TXT.
>
> is this service still available? or has it been replaced by GPRS & friends?
>
> my current phone, a Seimens, only takes numbers so i can't even try
> entering an email address.
>
> cheers,
>
> will.

Hi
Start a text message with http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) then your test message...

Then send to +6421010099

Cheers
Malcolm

Collector

Malcolm said the following on 16/08/2004 18:21:

> will wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> i remember i used to be able to send email via the SMS service on
>> mobile phones, i did a couple of times via Vodafone on a Alcatel phone
>> about 3 years ago, cost the same as a normal TXT.
>>
>> is this service still available? or has it been replaced by GPRS &
>> friends?
>>
>> my current phone, a Seimens, only takes numbers so i can't even try
>> entering an email address.
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> will.

> Hi
> Start a text message with (E-Mail Removed) then your test message...
>
> Then send to +6421010099
>
> Cheers
> Malcolm

Didnt work for me, perhaps 1 digit missing on the number?

Malcolm

Collector wrote:
> Malcolm said the following on 16/08/2004 18:21:
>
>> will wrote:
>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> i remember i used to be able to send email via the SMS service on
>>> mobile phones, i did a couple of times via Vodafone on a Alcatel
>>> phone about 3 years ago, cost the same as a normal TXT.
>>>
>>> is this service still available? or has it been replaced by GPRS &
>>> friends?
>>>
>>> my current phone, a Seimens, only takes numbers so i can't even try
>>> entering an email address.
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>>
>>> will.

>> Hi
>> Start a text message with (E-Mail Removed) then your test message...
>>
>> Then send to +6421010099
>>
>> Cheers
>> Malcolm

> Didnt work for me, perhaps 1 digit missing on the number?

Hmm...worked fine for me

Send me an e-mail with an e-mail account to send to, I can do a test...?

Malcolm

John wrote:
> "Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cfpjod$lp3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>will wrote:
>>
>>>hi,
>>>
>>>i remember i used to be able to send email via the SMS service on mobile
>>>phones, i did a couple of times via Vodafone on a Alcatel phone about 3
>>>years ago, cost the same as a normal TXT.
>>>
>>>is this service still available? or has it been replaced by GPRS &

> friends?
>
>>>my current phone, a Seimens, only takes numbers so i can't even try
>>>entering an email address.
>>>
>>>cheers,
>>>
>>>will.

>>Hi
>>Start a text message with (E-Mail Removed) then your test message...
>>
>>Then send to +6421010099
>>
>>Cheers
>>Malcolm

> Where did you get that number from, as it doesn't work.

Vodafone...works fine for me...

John

"Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cfpjod$lp3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> will wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > i remember i used to be able to send email via the SMS service on mobile
> > phones, i did a couple of times via Vodafone on a Alcatel phone about 3
> > years ago, cost the same as a normal TXT.
> >
> > is this service still available? or has it been replaced by GPRS &

friends?

> > my current phone, a Seimens, only takes numbers so i can't even try
> > entering an email address.
> >
> > cheers,
> >
> > will.

> Hi
> Start a text message with (E-Mail Removed) then your test message...
>
> Then send to +6421010099
>
> Cheers
> Malcolm

Where did you get that number from, as it doesn't work.

G.Force

Malcolm wrote:

> John wrote:
>
>> "Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:cfpjod$lp3$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> friends?

>>> Hi
>>> Start a text message with (E-Mail Removed) then your test message...
>>>
>>> Then send to +6421010099
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Malcolm

>> Where did you get that number from, as it doesn't work.
>>

> Vodafone...works fine for me...

Works for me too

Maybe someone's sending their message to (E-Mail Removed) you reckon? :0D

Malcolm

G.Force wrote:
> Malcolm wrote:
>
>> John wrote:
>>
>>> "Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:cfpjod$lp3$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> friends?

>>> Where did you get that number from, as it doesn't work.
>>>

>> Vodafone...works fine for me...

> Works for me too
>
> Maybe someone's sending their message to (E-Mail Removed) you reckon?
> :0D

Damn...never thought of that.... should have said
<(E-Mail Removed)>

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:48:27 +1200, "G.Force"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Malcolm wrote:
>
>> John wrote:
>>
>>> "Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:cfpjod$lp3$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> friends?

>>> Where did you get that number from, as it doesn't work.
>>>

>> Vodafone...works fine for me...

>Works for me too
>
>Maybe someone's sending their message to (E-Mail Removed) you reckon? :0D

Ditto. Works for me too.

A couple of questions/points:

1. Is there a difference between the + sign and the + sign used for
international numbers?

2. Do you have to use the +64 or can you use 0211010099?

Malcolm

A wrote:

<snip>

>>>Vodafone...works fine for me...

>>Works for me too
>>
>>Maybe someone's sending their message to (E-Mail Removed) you reckon? :0D

> Ditto. Works for me too.
>
> A couple of questions/points:
>
> 1. Is there a difference between the + sign and the + sign used for
> international numbers?

As long as a + sign before the number, this will classify as an
international Country code number as far as I'm aware.

> 2. Do you have to use the +64 or can you use 0211010099?

Yes, has to be the the number +6421010099 to work.