Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Bloody Xtra POP3 limitations

Bloody Xtra POP3 limitations

Collector

Have a person with Xtra who is going stateside for a couple of weeks. He
hates IPASS it is crap and I agree, trouble is while connectivity is
easy to get (he has wifi and is staying in Wifi equiped hotels) we
cannot pop mail off xtra as the connection is outside there network.

Webmail is not an option, he requires pop so that he can refer to emails
offline.

Now the thing is how to get him POP, well I am considering fowarding to
another service provider (I will be moving them from Xtra as soon as
Possible, but not before the trip)that has pop from other networks, but
would prefer an intrim solution with some free relaible service. (Not
Yahoo or Hotmail thou)

Any suggestions.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Collector wrote:
> Webmail is not an option, he requires pop so that he can refer to emails
> offline.

port forwarding from an existing Xtra connection?
It would mean that you would need an existing Xtra connection to do it
from, but it could work.

What I mean is something like a pop-proxy that just passes on his
username etc.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Mon, 16 Aug 2004
12:22:25 +1200, Collector <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> Have a person with Xtra who is going stateside for a couple of weeks. He
> hates IPASS it is crap and I agree, trouble is while connectivity is
> easy to get (he has wifi and is staying in Wifi equiped hotels) we
> cannot pop mail off xtra as the connection is outside there network.
>
> Webmail is not an option, he requires pop so that he can refer to emails
> offline.

Get another account somewhere and have your Xtra emails forwarded to it -
you can set up forwarding in Xtra webmail.

Brendan

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:22:25 +1200, Collector wrote:

> Have a person with Xtra who is going stateside for a couple of weeks. He
> hates IPASS it is crap and I agree, trouble is while connectivity is
> easy to get (he has wifi and is staying in Wifi equiped hotels) we
> cannot pop mail off xtra as the connection is outside there network.
>
> Webmail is not an option, he requires pop so that he can refer to emails
> offline.
>
> Now the thing is how to get him POP, well I am considering fowarding to
> another service provider (I will be moving them from Xtra as soon as
> Possible, but not before the trip)that has pop from other networks, but
> would prefer an intrim solution with some free relaible service. (Not
> Yahoo or Hotmail thou)
>
> Any suggestions.

Get a free email account with Orcon, which is pop accessible. Tell xtra to
forward email to that account.

--

.... Brendan

I used to get high on life, but I've built up a tolerance.

Note: All my comments are copyright 16/08/2004 2:43:38 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Chris

Collector <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:2oad25F8lp56U1@uni-
berlin.de:

> Have a person with Xtra who is going stateside for a couple of weeks.

He
> hates IPASS it is crap and I agree, trouble is while connectivity is
> easy to get (he has wifi and is staying in Wifi equiped hotels) we
> cannot pop mail off xtra as the connection is outside there network.
>
> Webmail is not an option, he requires pop so that he can refer to

emails
> offline.
>
> Now the thing is how to get him POP, well I am considering fowarding to
> another service provider (I will be moving them from Xtra as soon as
> Possible, but not before the trip)that has pop from other networks, but
> would prefer an intrim solution with some free relaible service. (Not
> Yahoo or Hotmail thou)
>
> Any suggestions.

As much as I dislike Orcon at the moment their free emails do come in
handy - set one up for a friend that has a vodafone PDA

steve

Collector wrote:

> Have a person with Xtra who is going stateside for a couple of weeks. He
> hates IPASS it is crap and I agree, trouble is while connectivity is
> easy to get (he has wifi and is staying in Wifi equiped hotels) we
> cannot pop mail off xtra as the connection is outside there network.
>
> Webmail is not an option, he requires pop so that he can refer to emails
> offline.
>
> Now the thing is how to get him POP, well I am considering fowarding to
> another service provider (I will be moving them from Xtra as soon as
> Possible, but not before the trip)that has pop from other networks, but
> would prefer an intrim solution with some free relaible service. (Not
> Yahoo or Hotmail thou)
>
> Any suggestions.

AT&T.

Or Ihug (who use AT&T POPS overseas)

Or Actrix (who use AT&T POPS overseas).

The Hobbit

"Collector" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have a person with Xtra who is going stateside for a couple of weeks. He
> hates IPASS it is crap and I agree, trouble is while connectivity is easy
> to get (he has wifi and is staying in Wifi equiped hotels) we cannot pop
> mail off xtra as the connection is outside there network.

<Snip>
What's crap about iPass? The newer clients (as long as you update your phone
books) work fine for me overseas... I only use it to establish a connection
for email and use default whatever else is avalible for generic surfing
between pops.

Ian Boag

Let's not forget gotomypc. Set up your desktop machine in NZ, then you
can connect to it from anywhere you can find a browser .... do the
email thing by running OE at the end of a 10,000 wire to the keyboard
and screen. I've had a few chuckles when foreigners (in Argentina and
Croatia to name a couple of places) have boggled at seeing my
Palmerston North desktop on the screen of a NetCaf PC .......

IB

"The Hobbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Collector" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Have a person with Xtra who is going stateside for a couple of weeks. He
>> hates IPASS it is crap and I agree, trouble is while connectivity is easy
>> to get (he has wifi and is staying in Wifi equiped hotels) we cannot pop
>> mail off xtra as the connection is outside there network.

><Snip>
>What's crap about iPass? The newer clients (as long as you update your phone
>books) work fine for me overseas... I only use it to establish a connection
>for email and use default whatever else is avalible for generic surfing
>between pops.

Collector

The Hobbit said the following on 17/08/2004 07:28:

> "Collector" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Have a person with Xtra who is going stateside for a couple of weeks. He
>>hates IPASS it is crap and I agree, trouble is while connectivity is easy
>>to get (he has wifi and is staying in Wifi equiped hotels) we cannot pop
>>mail off xtra as the connection is outside there network.

> <Snip>
> What's crap about iPass? The newer clients (as long as you update your phone
> books) work fine for me overseas... I only use it to establish a connection
> for email and use default whatever else is avalible for generic surfing
> between pops.

Slow poor connections through digital paxs charged at several dollars a
minute to your hotel for a lawyer getting emails with documents attached
is what is crap, not to mention half the numers in its phone book dont
seem to connect.

Collector

Ian Boag said the following on 17/08/2004 09:06:

> Let's not forget gotomypc. Set up your desktop machine in NZ, then you
> can connect to it from anywhere you can find a browser .... do the
> email thing by running OE at the end of a 10,000 wire to the keyboard
> and screen. I've had a few chuckles when foreigners (in Argentina and
> Croatia to name a couple of places) have boggled at seeing my
> Palmerston North desktop on the screen of a NetCaf PC .......
>
> IB
>

> "The Hobbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"Collector" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Have a person with Xtra who is going stateside for a couple of weeks. He
>>>hates IPASS it is crap and I agree, trouble is while connectivity is easy
>>>to get (he has wifi and is staying in Wifi equiped hotels) we cannot pop
>>>mail off xtra as the connection is outside there network.

>><Snip>
>>What's crap about iPass? The newer clients (as long as you update your phone
>>books) work fine for me overseas... I only use it to establish a connection
>>for email and use default whatever else is avalible for generic surfing
>>between pops.

Too cumbersome for a ludite lawyer