Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > bittorrent D/L speed

bittorrent D/L speed

Ferg

Has anyone else had a big drop in D/L speed?

Ferg

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Ferg wrote:
> Has anyone else had a big drop in D/L speed?

errr, nope.
downloading what?

which ISP?
what type of connection?

Ferg

Hmmm. I suppose I was a bit vague...

IHUG
256 Kb ADSL
Downloading Stargate episodes.

Ferg

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ferg wrote:
>> Has anyone else had a big drop in D/L speed?

> errr, nope.
> downloading what?
>
> which ISP?
> what type of connection?

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Ferg wrote:
>>>Has anyone else had a big drop in D/L speed?

>>errr, nope.
>>downloading what?
>>which ISP?
>>what type of connection?

> Hmmm. I suppose I was a bit vague...
> IHUG
> 256 Kb ADSL
> Downloading Stargate episodes.

ummm, well, with bittorrent your d/l speed is usually governed by how
many users have portions of that file available, so maybe there are just
not as many users with that file as there used to be.

Does BT use a static port?
Maybe Ihug have rate limited you.
Are you using a heap of traffic(compared to "normal" users)?
Maybe Ihug have put you into a group of rate limited IP's.(I know of two
ISPs that do this, well, used to do this with 128k and dialup customers
who abused the connection)

Andrew Bryson

"Ferg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cfmj1q$4ta$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hmmm. I suppose I was a bit vague...
>
> IHUG
> 256 Kb ADSL
> Downloading Stargate episodes.

You are looking for people to publically admit that they have been
downloading pirated episodes of a television show? Or is it the case that
they are available for download legally now?

Andrew

Ferg

I think people could legitimately respond to my post by talking about their
experience of downloading Linux distributions...

Ferg

"Andrew Bryson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3lCTc.3273$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Ferg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cfmj1q$4ta$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hmmm. I suppose I was a bit vague...
>>
>> IHUG
>> 256 Kb ADSL
>> Downloading Stargate episodes.

> You are looking for people to publically admit that they have been
> downloading pirated episodes of a television show? Or is it the case that
> they are available for download legally now?
>
> Andrew

Tim

"Andrew Bryson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3lCTc.3273$zS6.390258
@news02.tsnz.net:

> "Ferg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cfmj1q$4ta$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hmmm. I suppose I was a bit vague...
>>
>> IHUG
>> 256 Kb ADSL
>> Downloading Stargate episodes.

> You are looking for people to publically admit that they have been
> downloading pirated episodes of a television show? Or is it the case that
> they are available for download legally now?
>
> Andrew

Nope, that isn't the case - in fact, I just heard yesterday about how MGM
have started writing nastygrams to NZ ISPs about people downloading their
programs from BT (this was a different show - Dead Like Me, but I expect
they are probably doing it for Stargate too).

--
Tim
- <insert witty signature here>

samg

> Maybe Ihug have put you into a group of rate limited IP's.(I know of two
> ISPs that do this, well, used to do this with 128k and dialup customers
> who abused the connection)

heh how the fek can you abuse a dialup connection? Unless unlimited doesnt
mean unlimited, once again.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

samg wrote:
>>Maybe Ihug have put you into a group of rate limited IP's.(I know of two
>>ISPs that do this, well, used to do this with 128k and dialup customers
>>who abused the connection)

> heh how the fek can you abuse a dialup connection? Unless unlimited doesnt
> mean unlimited, once again.

yep, unlimited doesnt mean unlimited, no real point in going into it
again, but you know what I mean with it, staying connected 24/7,
treating it as a leased line, that sort of thing.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Patrick Dunford

In article <Xns954768B1BEDBDsamg@203.97.37.6> in nz.comp on 16 Aug 2004
10:18:33 +1200, samg <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> > Maybe Ihug have put you into a group of rate limited IP's.(I know of two
> > ISPs that do this, well, used to do this with 128k and dialup customers
> > who abused the connection)

> heh how the fek can you abuse a dialup connection? Unless unlimited doesnt
> mean unlimited, once again.

It never did. NEarly all dialup ISPs limit people from staying connected
24 hours a day.

Bittorrent Download/Upload Speed cc Computer Support 3 05-02-2004 07:19 PM
Bittorrent download speed cc Computer Support 3 05-02-2004 09:13 AM
NBAR and BitTorrent Ben Horner Cisco 7 02-01-2004 02:22 PM
[ANN] Mozilla & FireBird download links for BitTorrent Martijn Dekker Firefox 0 10-15-2003 03:18 PM

Advertisments