Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP - Home or Pro

XP - Home or Pro

Woolfie

Wanting to get XP quite soon. What are the main differences between
Home and Pro and why would I buy one or the other.

Your logical and considered opinions appreciated. Thanks

Andrew Bryson

"Woolfie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wanting to get XP quite soon. What are the main differences between
> Home and Pro and why would I buy one or the other.
>
> Your logical and considered opinions appreciated. Thanks

Basically XP Pro has a lot more network oriented services. There are also a
number of commercial packages that will not work at all on XP Home
(including a number of accounting packages) probably due to the missing
network features.

Features missing in XP Home include VPN support and support for domain
controllers. There are many other things which I forget at the moment.

To make it simple, you want to think about whether you are ever going to
connect to a network other than the internet. If the answer is no, then you
will most likely be happy with WinXP Home. If the answer is yes, you will
probably be better off with WinXP Pro. Note that this is by no means a
definitive answer - there are many XP Home machines running in networks with
no problems at all, and most of the features that are missing in XP Home are
ones that the average person probably would not notice anyway.

The other thing to consider is that XP has been out for some time now. It
would probably be a good idea to post the specs of your machine here so that
people can comment on whether it is likely to run winxp well or not. As a
guideline, you would want a minimum of 256MB of RAM and probably around a
750MHz CPU (although it will run quite happily on much slower CPUs than
this - I have seen it running nicely on a P2-350).

Hope this helps

Andrew Bryson
http://www.bryson.co.nz

T-Boy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Wanting to get XP quite soon. What are the main differences between
> Home and Pro and why would I buy one or the other.
>
> Your logical and considered opinions appreciated. Thanks

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...choosing2.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...n/compare.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ford_november2
6.mspx

So depending on what you want/need to do - hopefully you can decide.

--
Duncan

wogers nemesis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Wanting to get XP quite soon. What are the main differences between
> Home and Pro and why would I buy one or the other.
>
> Your logical and considered opinions appreciated. Thanks

read:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...p_home_pro.asp

basically if your xp installs need to be managed (i.e. a business)
you'll want pro.

Divine

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:40:06 +1200, Woolfie wrote:

> Wanting to get XP quite soon. What are the main differences between Home
> and Pro and why would I buy one or the other.
>
> Your logical and considered opinions appreciated. Thanks

Pro is *the* version of XP.

Home is a knobbled version.

But why should you want to use Micro$oft Windows XP when there are better
(not to mention free) Operating systems out there?

Divine

--
43 - for those who require slightly more than the answer to life, the universe
and everything.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Andrew Bryson wrote:
> Features missing in XP Home include VPN support and support for domain
> controllers.

are you certain on the VPN thing?
Im sure I set one up the other day to connect into work, Im not certain
that it was XP home, but it was a warewhare Dell, which I thought only
came with Home.

> To make it simple, you want to think about whether you are ever going to
> connect to a network other than the internet. If the answer is no, then you
> will most likely be happy with WinXP Home. If the answer is yes, you will
> probably be better off with WinXP Pro.

this is pretty sound advice.

> The other thing to consider is that XP has been out for some time now. It
> would probably be a good idea to post the specs of your machine here so that
> people can comment on whether it is likely to run winxp well or not. As a
> guideline, you would want a minimum of 256MB of RAM and probably around a
> 750MHz CPU (although it will run quite happily on much slower CPUs than
> this - I have seen it running nicely on a P2-350).

indeed, I was going to say the same.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Divine wrote:
> But why should you want to use Micro$oft Windows XP when there are better
> (not to mention free) Operating systems out there?

why should you question his right to choose?

Andrew Bryson

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> are you certain on the VPN thing?
> Im sure I set one up the other day to connect into work, Im not certain
> that it was XP home, but it was a warewhare Dell, which I thought only
> came with Home.

Not 100% sure but sure enough. Someone else posted a link that implies that
VPN might work under home but not actually be useful due to a lack of secure
authentication. I have not been able to find the part of winxp home that
allows you to set up a vpn. That said, none of my machines have XP Home and
I always recommend XP Pro (or linux) to people requiring VPNs . So it is
possible that I am wrong on that one.

Andrew Bryson
http://www.bryson.co.nz

Divine

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:03:24 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>> But why should you want to use Micro$oft Windows XP when there are
>> better (not to mention free) Operating systems out there?

> why should you question his right to choose?

I don't question his "right" to choose. I question the sanity of choosing
Micro$oft software when there is better, safer, cheaper, software out
there.

Divine

--

Divine wrote:
>>>But why should you want to use Micro$oft Windows XP when there are
>>>better (not to mention free) Operating systems out there?

>>why should you question his right to choose?

> I don't question his "right" to choose. I question the sanity of choosing
> Micro$oft software when there is better, safer, cheaper, software out
> there.

from what they posted "Wanting to get XP quite soon." it looks like they
have already decided on XP.

better is relative. better at what?
safer depends on how it is setup/configured.
cheaper depends on which costs you are counting.