Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Backing up a MAC

Backing up a MAC

TEX

Can you explain this a bit more?? So if I get a clean HDD and plug the
sucker as a USB hdd on the mac and then just partition/format it under
mac format and then copy/paste to the drive it will be ok??
What if my current hdd is in pc format? How can I do it?

Thanks

TEX

Bob McLellan wrote:

> A USB HDD should work.
> If you backup to another system remember that Mac files have an 'extra
> bit' called a resource fork which is important to the Mac system. This
> bit is not recognised by PC's or Unix and will get lost if you just
> transfer the files. Mac sure that you transfer them in Macbin format (or
> oneof the many zip type formats) to preserve this bit.
>
> TEX wrote:
>
>> I have to backup a friends Mac computer, so that when the take it back
>> to the store to have the faulty CDR fixed, the data doesn't get
>> deleted. Can I juts plug in a USB HDD and copy paste all the files???
>> Is this correct or do I have to do something more??? They are just not
>> keen on loosing all thier data and apps. I was told that is all I need
>> to do. Why couldn't PC's be this easy?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> TEX

wogers nemesis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> In <z2ZSc.12686$(E-Mail Removed)> Harry wrote:
>
> > TEX wrote:

> >> What I meant by "easy" was, the fact that all i have to do is just
> >> drag and drop the files to a hdd or like you mentioned, a network
> >> drive. Not many times you can do that on a pc without having to re-
> >> install the program again. This what I have been told, is all that is
> >> required. Will have the unit over the weekend and see what the story
> >> is.

> > Which is exactly what you can do on a PC.
> > You can backup your entire disk onto another disk.
> > And that other disk will run just like the original.
> > You can also restore the same way.
> > What is more, you don't need any special backup program to do
> > that on a pc either.

> What if you only want to back up specific programs and not the entire
> hard drive? I have always found it bizarre how PCs scatter files all
> over the place whenever you install an application.

Yes, its great with Macs (both Classic or X) - I can easily transfer
anll the programs people install simply by copying files with a
crossover ethernet cable. And the Mac OS X packages are painless to
install if needed.

whoisthis

In article <cfhojk$ul3$(E-Mail Removed)>,
I'm a Trampoline <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> whoisthis wrote:
> >
> > However I am unsure why you think their data may be at risk, if it is
> > being done by an authorised service technician then I would be horrified
> > to think the drive would be at risk, no competent Apple tech would loose
> > data that way.

> When I got my iBook fully replaced due to excessive problems with it, I
> had to ask to have the old one shipped back to my local dealer so the
> files could be copied, otherwise it would have been forgotten. I always
> did a partial backup of my most important files before each reapair job
> with the old one, at the least I don't trust couriers.

Ah well I have a better service agent then, he ALWAYS backs a machine up
first thing, uses a UPS for most machines so that there will be as
little chance of any issues as possible.

Bob McLellan

I guess you reformat the partition using Mac. Never had a usb drive myself.

TEX wrote:
> Can you explain this a bit more?? So if I get a clean HDD and plug the
> sucker as a USB hdd on the mac and then just partition/format it under
> mac format and then copy/paste to the drive it will be ok??
> What if my current hdd is in pc format? How can I do it?
>
> Thanks
>
> TEX
>
> Bob McLellan wrote:
>
>> A USB HDD should work.
>> If you backup to another system remember that Mac files have an 'extra
>> bit' called a resource fork which is important to the Mac system. This
>> bit is not recognised by PC's or Unix and will get lost if you just
>> transfer the files. Mac sure that you transfer them in Macbin format
>> (or oneof the many zip type formats) to preserve this bit.
>>
>> TEX wrote:
>>
>>> I have to backup a friends Mac computer, so that when the take it
>>> back to the store to have the faulty CDR fixed, the data doesn't get
>>> deleted. Can I juts plug in a USB HDD and copy paste all the files???
>>> Is this correct or do I have to do something more??? They are just
>>> not keen on loosing all thier data and apps. I was told that is all I
>>> need to do. Why couldn't PC's be this easy?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> TEX

quietguy

Seems a bit strange to me to hear someone suggest that backing up data
is a bad idea - apart from repairers that don't have a clue (most are
just board jockeys) their are many others risks - lost in transport,
stolen from store, accidently dropped, etc etc.

Hard t imagine any sensible person NOT backing up their data before
taking theor Mac for repair - and srely they should back up their stuff anyway.

David - who 15 years ago lost a month of work on his Mac because he
didn't backup

--
If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?

quietguy

Well, there is a program named Ghost that is supposed to do just that -
but like Windows it is crap, and when I tried it I ended up having to
reload every bloody application onto the new HD.

David

--

quietguy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Well, there is a program named Ghost that is supposed to do just that -
> but like Windows it is crap, and when I tried it I ended up having to
> reload every bloody application onto the new HD.
>
> David

Funny, we use Ghost all the time at work for W2K,XP,98,95, seems to work
really well from what I can see (No, I dont use it, I do Mac support)

whoisthis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
quietguy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Seems a bit strange to me to hear someone suggest that backing up data
> is a bad idea - apart from repairers that don't have a clue (most are
> just board jockeys) their are many others risks - lost in transport,
> stolen from store, accidently dropped, etc etc.

OK, well fist of all I presuming they will drop it off to an authorised
service centre.

As for the rest, well then they should already have a backup at home, in
fact it should be stored elsewhere in case of fire! Why is a backup only
important when it may be too late ?

> Hard t imagine any sensible person NOT backing up their data before
> taking theor Mac for repair - and srely they should back up their stuff
> anyway.

Because most people do not have the facility to back up large Hard
drives easily. Try backing up 10G over USB, its start in the morning,
then go to work and hope for the best time.

> David - who 15 years ago lost a month of work on his Mac because he
> didn't backup

And it can still happen to day I am sure.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

quietguy wrote:
> Well, there is a program named Ghost that is supposed to do just that -
> but like Windows it is crap

Funny, at work here we use it constantly(with ghost images of each model
of PC). I've done ~1000 in the last 20 odd months, with what I can only
guess to be under 10 failures, and each caused by hardware problems, not
the software or the image.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

wogers nemesis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz
says...
> quietguy wrote:
> > Well, there is a program named Ghost that is supposed to do just that -
> > but like Windows it is crap

> Funny, at work here we use it constantly(with ghost images of each model
> of PC). I've done ~1000 in the last 20 odd months, with what I can only
> guess to be under 10 failures, and each caused by hardware problems, not
> the software or the image.

Yeah I even use it with Sysprep, so that I can deploy Windows XP on AMD
and Intel machines with different hardware. The only problems were with
some Dells that could be fixed with a bios upgrade and then enabling
acpi.

The biggest issue is dirty cdrs with ghost images on them..

Backing up extensions Marc in the Glades Firefox 9 08-07-2004 11:00 PM
Backing up Bookmarks and Address' Tono Firefox 10 01-13-2004 04:24 AM
backing up FB and TB Axl Firefox 23 12-19-2003 01:21 AM
Backing up mail in Mozilla James Messick Firefox 11 11-11-2003 07:27 PM
Re: Backing up and restoring Mozilla mail and news Leonidas Jones Firefox 1 08-07-2003 02:06 PM

Advertisments