Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Backing up a MAC

Backing up a MAC

EMB

Harry wrote:

> Which is exactly what you can do on a PC.
> You can backup your entire disk onto another disk.
> And that other disk will run just like the original.
> You can also restore the same way.
> What is more, you don't need any special backup program to do
> that on a pc either.

Ok then, how do I copy my Windows 2000 boot drive to another hard disk
(without any special programs) such that the new copy will boot?

--
EMB
change two to number to reply

thing

TEX wrote:
> I have to backup a friends Mac computer, so that when the take it back
> to the store to have the faulty CDR fixed, the data doesn't get deleted.
> Can I juts plug in a USB HDD and copy paste all the files???
> Is this correct or do I have to do something more??? They are just not
> keen on loosing all thier data and apps. I was told that is all I need
> to do. Why couldn't PC's be this easy?
>
> Thanks
>
> TEX

check to make sure the system folder is copied over, but otherwise yes
its that easy. I swapped out the internal hd on my imac to a firwire ext
drive and put a new drive in, and found I had 2 bootable 9.2.2 images....

;]

regards

Thing

I'm a Trampoline

whoisthis wrote:

> However I am unsure why you think their data may be at risk, if it is
> being done by an authorised service technician then I would be horrified
> to think the drive would be at risk, no competent Apple tech would loose
> data that way.

When I got my iBook fully replaced due to excessive problems with it, I
had to ask to have the old one shipped back to my local dealer so the
files could be copied, otherwise it would have been forgotten. I always
did a partial backup of my most important files before each reapair job
with the old one, at the least I don't trust couriers.

thing

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> whoisthis wrote:
>
>> ALWAYS load the latest version of the drivers for the correct version
>> of the OS, you can get them off the Net.

> heh, I never do this, I usually have a "favourite" set of drivers for
> most things.
>
> my bluetooth adapter wont connect to my cell phone if I use the latest
> ones, this is what I got from the manufacturer.
> "it is a know issue and may be fixed in the next driver revision"
> "no, I'm sorry but the older drivers are no longer available for download"
>
> Thankfully, someone in the US from some forum had a copy of them, and
> posted them online.

I swapped out a drive and it just went dead, used a static strap etc
etc...so it can happen....

regards

Thing

Harry

EMB wrote:

> Harry wrote:
>

>> Which is exactly what you can do on a PC.
>> You can backup your entire disk onto another disk.
>> And that other disk will run just like the original.
>> You can also restore the same way.
>> What is more, you don't need any special backup program to do
>> that on a pc either.

> Ok then, how do I copy my Windows 2000 boot drive to another hard disk
> (without any special programs) such that the new copy will boot?

Use xcopy32

Alastair

In <z2ZSc.12686$(E-Mail Removed)> Harry wrote:

> TEX wrote:

>> What I meant by "easy" was, the fact that all i have to do is just
>> drag and drop the files to a hdd or like you mentioned, a network
>> drive. Not many times you can do that on a pc without having to re-
>> install the program again. This what I have been told, is all that is
>> required. Will have the unit over the weekend and see what the story
>> is.

> Which is exactly what you can do on a PC.
> You can backup your entire disk onto another disk.
> And that other disk will run just like the original.
> You can also restore the same way.
> What is more, you don't need any special backup program to do
> that on a pc either.

What if you only want to back up specific programs and not the entire
hard drive? I have always found it bizarre how PCs scatter files all
over the place whenever you install an application.

--
Regards, Alastair.
http://www.alastair.net.nz

Dave - Dave.net.nz

EMB wrote:
> Ok then, how do I copy my Windows 2000 boot drive to another hard disk
> (without any special programs) such that the new copy will boot?

disk management, and set up a mirror

Bob McLellan

A USB HDD should work.
If you backup to another system remember that Mac files have an 'extra
bit' called a resource fork which is important to the Mac system. This
bit is not recognised by PC's or Unix and will get lost if you just
transfer the files. Mac sure that you transfer them in Macbin format (or
oneof the many zip type formats) to preserve this bit.

TEX wrote:
> I have to backup a friends Mac computer, so that when the take it back
> to the store to have the faulty CDR fixed, the data doesn't get deleted.
> Can I juts plug in a USB HDD and copy paste all the files???
> Is this correct or do I have to do something more??? They are just not
> keen on loosing all thier data and apps. I was told that is all I need
> to do. Why couldn't PC's be this easy?
>
> Thanks
>
> TEX

Mauricio Freitas

> TEX wrote:
> > I have to backup a friends Mac computer, so that when the take it back
> > to the store to have the faulty CDR fixed, the data doesn't get deleted.
> > Can I juts plug in a USB HDD and copy paste all the files???
> > Is this correct or do I have to do something more??? They are just not
> > keen on loosing all thier data and apps. I was told that is all I need
> > to do. Why couldn't PC's be this easy?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > TEX

I'm using Dantz retrospect. It works with external USB/firewire drives and
CD-RW. In my case I have a FTP server in one machine at home, and the
software uses the LAN connection to dump the files in a folder on this
server. It's a Windows XP Pro server, but Dantz Retrospect uses its own file
format when storing the data. I leave it running at night and it works very
well, including incremental backups, etc.

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

TEX

Alastair wrote:

> In <z2ZSc.12686$(E-Mail Removed)> Harry wrote:
>

>>TEX wrote:

>>>What I meant by "easy" was, the fact that all i have to do is just
>>>drag and drop the files to a hdd or like you mentioned, a network
>>>drive. Not many times you can do that on a pc without having to re-
>>>install the program again. This what I have been told, is all that is
>>>required. Will have the unit over the weekend and see what the story
>>>is.

>>Which is exactly what you can do on a PC.
>>You can backup your entire disk onto another disk.
>>And that other disk will run just like the original.
>>You can also restore the same way.
>>What is more, you don't need any special backup program to do
>>that on a pc either.

> What if you only want to back up specific programs and not the entire
> hard drive? I have always found it bizarre how PCs scatter files all
> over the place whenever you install an application.

Correct. That is what I was more concerned about. Yes you can copy
programs overs on a PC, but half the time they don't work cos missing
xxx file missing yyy file etc etc. Also registry settings etc etc

TEX

Backing up extensions Marc in the Glades Firefox 9 08-07-2004 11:00 PM
Backing up Bookmarks and Address' Tono Firefox 10 01-13-2004 04:24 AM
backing up FB and TB Axl Firefox 23 12-19-2003 01:21 AM
Backing up mail in Mozilla James Messick Firefox 11 11-11-2003 07:27 PM
Re: Backing up and restoring Mozilla mail and news Leonidas Jones Firefox 1 08-07-2003 02:06 PM

Advertisments