Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Backing up a MAC

Backing up a MAC

TEX

I have to backup a friends Mac computer, so that when the take it back
to the store to have the faulty CDR fixed, the data doesn't get deleted.
Can I juts plug in a USB HDD and copy paste all the files???
Is this correct or do I have to do something more??? They are just not
keen on loosing all thier data and apps. I was told that is all I need
to do. Why couldn't PC's be this easy?

Thanks

TEX

whoisthis

In article <411b4096$(E-Mail Removed)>, TEX <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have to backup a friends Mac computer, so that when the take it back
> to the store to have the faulty CDR fixed, the data doesn't get deleted.
> Can I juts plug in a USB HDD and copy paste all the files???
> Is this correct or do I have to do something more??? They are just not
> keen on loosing all thier data and apps. I was told that is all I need
> to do. Why couldn't PC's be this easy?
>
> Thanks
>
> TEX

depends on what Mac you are talking about, and what operating system it
is running.
If it has Firewire that will be a hell of a lot faster than USB !
If USB is your only choice then you may have to load drivers, the way to
find this out is to plug it in, it will either mount the drive or tell
you it needs drivers. ALWAYS load the latest version of the drivers for
the correct version of the OS, you can get them off the Net.

If it is OS9, yes you can just drag and drop the whole drive and it will
back everything up, if it is OSX you have a bigger problem and I would
use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to do the job.

However I am unsure why you think their data may be at risk, if it is
being done by an authorised service technician then I would be horrified
to think the drive would be at risk, no competent Apple tech would loose
data that way.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

whoisthis wrote:
> ALWAYS load the latest version of the drivers for
> the correct version of the OS, you can get them off the Net.

heh, I never do this, I usually have a "favourite" set of drivers for
most things.

my bluetooth adapter wont connect to my cell phone if I use the latest
ones, this is what I got from the manufacturer.
"it is a know issue and may be fixed in the next driver revision"
"no, I'm sorry but the older drivers are no longer available for download"

Thankfully, someone in the US from some forum had a copy of them, and
posted them online.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

whoisthis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote:

> whoisthis wrote:
> > ALWAYS load the latest version of the drivers for
> > the correct version of the OS, you can get them off the Net.

> heh, I never do this, I usually have a "favourite" set of drivers for
> most things.

well I have had to patch together too many OSX machines because the
users loaded on old drivers for my liking.

Harry

TEX wrote:

> I have to backup a friends Mac computer, so that when the take it back
> to the store to have the faulty CDR fixed, the data doesn't get deleted.
> Can I juts plug in a USB HDD and copy paste all the files???
> Is this correct or do I have to do something more??? They are just not
> keen on loosing all thier data and apps. I was told that is all I need
> to do. Why couldn't PC's be this easy?

Hang on a minute. What is "easy"?
That they have to take it back to the store - is that easy?
Or is the fact that you cannot figure out how to backup the data easy?

If it is networked just back it up onto a Linux box running netatalk.

whoisthis

In article <1fSSc.12522$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Harry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hang on a minute. What is "easy"?

lots of things are easy.

> That they have to take it back to the store - is that easy?

Best choice, they will have full anti-static gear there. I have seen too
many "PC techs" doing stuff without anti-static gear to ever trust one,
and I have a laser printer worked on by a PC Tech where he used a screw
driver to lever open the case because he could not figure of the correct
way of doing it, there are gouges all over the casing. Took me ages to
clean up the worst of the burrs then fix it properly.

Harry

whoisthis wrote:

> In article <1fSSc.12522$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Harry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hang on a minute. What is "easy"?

> lots of things are easy.

I wasn't asking you!

>> That they have to take it back to the store - is that easy?

> Best choice, they will have full anti-static gear there. I have seen too
> many "PC techs" doing stuff without anti-static gear to ever trust one,
> and I have a laser printer worked on by a PC Tech where he used a screw
> driver to lever open the case because he could not figure of the correct
> way of doing it, there are gouges all over the casing. Took me ages to
> clean up the worst of the burrs then fix it properly.

Thanks, but I am more interested in what TEX meant.

whoisthis

In article <28TSc.12546$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Harry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> whoisthis wrote:
>
> > In article <1fSSc.12522$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Harry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Hang on a minute. What is "easy"?

> > lots of things are easy.

> I wasn't asking you!

Well this is an open forum, so you get what you get.

> >> That they have to take it back to the store - is that easy?

> > Best choice, they will have full anti-static gear there. I have seen too
> > many "PC techs" doing stuff without anti-static gear to ever trust one,
> > and I have a laser printer worked on by a PC Tech where he used a screw
> > driver to lever open the case because he could not figure of the correct
> > way of doing it, there are gouges all over the casing. Took me ages to
> > clean up the worst of the burrs then fix it properly.

> Thanks, but I am more interested in what TEX meant.

Yet he did not ask YOU specifically, his question was general so one and
all could answer thus giving multiple POV and perhaps the best answer.

Having changed the Hard deives, CDs, etc in a number of Macs over the
years I figure I had something to add to the conversation.

TEX

Harry wrote:

> TEX wrote:
>

>>I have to backup a friends Mac computer, so that when the take it back
>>to the store to have the faulty CDR fixed, the data doesn't get deleted.
>>Can I juts plug in a USB HDD and copy paste all the files???
>>Is this correct or do I have to do something more??? They are just not
>>keen on loosing all thier data and apps. I was told that is all I need
>>to do. Why couldn't PC's be this easy?

> Hang on a minute. What is "easy"?
> That they have to take it back to the store - is that easy?
> Or is the fact that you cannot figure out how to backup the data easy?
>
> If it is networked just back it up onto a Linux box running netatalk.

What I meant by "easy" was, the fact that all i have to do is just drag
and drop the files to a hdd or like you mentioned, a network drive. Not
many times you can do that on a pc without having to re-install the
program again. This what I have been told, is all that is required. Will
have the unit over the weekend and see what the story is.

TEX

Harry

TEX wrote:

> Harry wrote:
>
>> TEX wrote:
>>

>>>I have to backup a friends Mac computer, so that when the take it back
>>>to the store to have the faulty CDR fixed, the data doesn't get deleted.
>>>Can I juts plug in a USB HDD and copy paste all the files???
>>>Is this correct or do I have to do something more??? They are just not
>>>keen on loosing all thier data and apps. I was told that is all I need
>>>to do. Why couldn't PC's be this easy?

>> Hang on a minute. What is "easy"?
>> That they have to take it back to the store - is that easy?
>> Or is the fact that you cannot figure out how to backup the data easy?
>>
>> If it is networked just back it up onto a Linux box running netatalk.
>>

> What I meant by "easy" was, the fact that all i have to do is just drag
> and drop the files to a hdd or like you mentioned, a network drive. Not
> many times you can do that on a pc without having to re-install the
> program again. This what I have been told, is all that is required. Will
> have the unit over the weekend and see what the story is.

Which is exactly what you can do on a PC.
You can backup your entire disk onto another disk.
And that other disk will run just like the original.
You can also restore the same way.
What is more, you don't need any special backup program to do
that on a pc either.

Backing up extensions Marc in the Glades Firefox 9 08-07-2004 11:00 PM
Backing up Bookmarks and Address' Tono Firefox 10 01-13-2004 04:24 AM
backing up FB and TB Axl Firefox 23 12-19-2003 01:21 AM
Backing up mail in Mozilla James Messick Firefox 11 11-11-2003 07:27 PM
Re: Backing up and restoring Mozilla mail and news Leonidas Jones Firefox 1 08-07-2003 02:06 PM

Advertisments