Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: router for Wired Country/IHUG

Re: router for Wired Country/IHUG

~misfit~

Gavin Stephens wrote:
> "Ripping Silk" <lade****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cfench$ohf$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> i just signed up to get myself onto the wireless network through
>> IHUG. Currently I am on Ultra satellite, using a PC running
>> 'winproxy' to serve my home network.
>> With the wireless I would like to use a router to serve the
>> network, then i can ditch the 'winproxy' box (getting long in the
>> tooth). I want to be able to specify my own permanent internal IP
>> addresses (ie 192.168.1.xx) and have it compatible with all the
>> usual protocols and internet software.
>> Any suggestions as to makes/models. As far as I am aware I do not
>> need a modem, ADSL or otherwise.
>>
>> thanks..
>>
>> Ripping

> How do they deliver the "superior phone line service" using wireless
> technology?

http://www.wiredcountry.co.nz/index.html

IHUG are the only ones using Wiredcountry to offer a voice-over-ip (or
whatever it is, you can basically cancel your telecom line and use it for
all your phone calls and save a lot of money) telephone service at the
moment.

> I would find out what the wireless service is to start with, it
> poberly won't be wi-fi if it's offering time critical services such
> as phone calls. Proberly a 3G wireless technology with specturm they
> actually own which means the hardware you'll proberly only be able to
> get of them directly.

Around $100 for the install, a dish on your roof and a 10/100Base-T
jackpoint in your house. (And a 'wall-wart' to power the transciever) The
rest is up to you. I *think* you need to run it directly to a PC NIC to run
the software, though I am unsure. A router may do it.
--
~misfit~ (cross-posted to nz.comp for further input)

> If they supply a box to connect to their network, with a standard
> 10/100Base-T
> jack then you can proberly just get a cheap o' dic smith ethernet
> router. It does PPPoE security and that kind of thing, and does NAT
> for the other computers so you can use Internal IP's etc... I think
> the DSE ethernet router is about $90 (no modems no DSL, a no-frills
> 10/100Base-T router). Check their website.
>

> Gavin.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

~misfit~ wrote:
>>How do they deliver the "superior phone line service" using wireless
>>technology?

> http://www.wiredcountry.co.nz/index.html
> IHUG are the only ones using Wiredcountry to offer a voice-over-ip (or
> whatever it is, you can basically cancel your telecom line and use it for
> all your phone calls and save a lot of money) telephone service at the
> moment.

errr, wasnt A(sia)OL/Iconz and a few others offering it too?
sure I read that somewhere.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Gavin Stephens

news:%vCSc.12259$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gavin Stephens wrote:
> > "Ripping Silk" <lade****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:cfench$ohf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> i just signed up to get myself onto the wireless network through
> >> IHUG. Currently I am on Ultra satellite, using a PC running
> >> 'winproxy' to serve my home network.
> >> With the wireless I would like to use a router to serve the
> >> network, then i can ditch the 'winproxy' box (getting long in the
> >> tooth). I want to be able to specify my own permanent internal IP
> >> addresses (ie 192.168.1.xx) and have it compatible with all the
> >> usual protocols and internet software.
> >> Any suggestions as to makes/models. As far as I am aware I do not
> >> need a modem, ADSL or otherwise.
> >>
> >> thanks..
> >>
> >> Ripping

> > How do they deliver the "superior phone line service" using wireless
> > technology?

> http://www.wiredcountry.co.nz/index.html
>
> IHUG are the only ones using Wiredcountry to offer a voice-over-ip (or
> whatever it is, you can basically cancel your telecom line and use it for
> all your phone calls and save a lot of money) telephone service at the
> moment.
>
> > I would find out what the wireless service is to start with, it
> > poberly won't be wi-fi if it's offering time critical services such
> > as phone calls. Proberly a 3G wireless technology with specturm they
> > actually own which means the hardware you'll proberly only be able to
> > get of them directly.

> Around $100 for the install, a dish on your roof and a 10/100Base-T
> jackpoint in your house. (And a 'wall-wart' to power the transciever) The
> rest is up to you. I *think* you need to run it directly to a PC NIC to

run
> the software, though I am unsure. A router may do it.

I guess this depends on how they arrange the phone side of things. Does the
wall socket also have a telephone jack on it aswell for a standard phone? If
they use something more simple (funny some tech will have proberly made sure
it's not) like PPPoE for logging on to their network, then an average joe
router would do it for $90-$128 with a PPPoE dialer in it. Otherwise if it's
more fancy like MD-5 (similar to that of wi-fi radius based authetication)
then you would still need a PC to log-on with. That would be a bummer.

> --
> ~misfit~ (cross-posted to nz.comp for further input)
>
> > If they supply a box to connect to their network, with a standard
> > 10/100Base-T
> > jack then you can proberly just get a cheap o' dic smith ethernet
> > router. It does PPPoE security and that kind of thing, and does NAT
> > for the other computers so you can use Internal IP's etc... I think
> > the DSE ethernet router is about $90 (no modems no DSL, a no-frills
> > 10/100Base-T router). Check their website.
> >

> > Gavin.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Gavin Stephens wrote:
> I guess this depends on how they arrange the phone side of things. Does the
> wall socket also have a telephone jack on it aswell for a standard phone? If
> they use something more simple (funny some tech will have proberly made sure
> it's not) like PPPoE for logging on to their network, then an average joe
> router would do it for $90-$128 with a PPPoE dialer in it. Otherwise if it's
> more fancy like MD-5 (similar to that of wi-fi radius based authetication)
> then you would still need a PC to log-on with. That would be a bummer.

you get some sort of IP phone, the router gives your phone a real world IP.
Someone posted it a while ago.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Gavin Stephens

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gavin Stephens wrote:
> > I guess this depends on how they arrange the phone side of things. Does

the
> > wall socket also have a telephone jack on it aswell for a standard

phone? If
> > they use something more simple (funny some tech will have proberly made

sure
> > it's not) like PPPoE for logging on to their network, then an average

joe
> > router would do it for $90-$128 with a PPPoE dialer in it. Otherwise if

it's
> > more fancy like MD-5 (similar to that of wi-fi radius based

authetication)
> > then you would still need a PC to log-on with. That would be a bummer.

> you get some sort of IP phone, the router gives your phone a real world

IP.
> Someone posted it a while ago.

They mention on the website you'll need a router for more PC's. Can't find
anything else though regarding exactly what the 'piece' of unobtrusive
broadband equipment is. If they offer their network as a link to other
ISP's, IHUG may use something simple over their network that most router are
capable of. IHUG would be the one's to ask rather than wired country in that
instance, and ask them how does the computer log-on to this service? That
way you'll know what router might be capable of doing the dial-up process
for you, or it it is always on, a cheap router will definately do the job.

Another I found is the linksys BEFS41 which is about $130NZ, which is also
just a plan ethernet router with NAT, firewall etc...

> --
> Dave Hall
> http://www.dave.net.nz

Ripping Silk

OK.. thanks for the replies...
Maybe I should have rephrased the question...
I know what the wireless system is, main signal turn on. I'm not
going to sign up to IHUG phone.. only the internet connection. (for the
time being).
The ihug install (which includes an 'adaptor') will plug directly into
a router... or into a PC. I want to go the router.... er... route.
I'm more looking for some knowledge on particular routers that may be
compatible with the wireless setup... although it seems 'any' decent
router will probably work, that being the case... what are the good ones?
4 ports would be OK.. as long as I can bridge to another switch.

cheers.

Ripping

SteveM

Ripping Silk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:cff2si$37t$1
@lust.ihug.co.nz:

> OK.. thanks for the replies...
> Maybe I should have rephrased the question...
> I know what the wireless system is, main signal turn on. I'm not
> going to sign up to IHUG phone.. only the internet connection. (for the
> time being).
> The ihug install (which includes an 'adaptor') will plug directly into
> a router... or into a PC. I want to go the router.... er... route.
> I'm more looking for some knowledge on particular routers that may be
> compatible with the wireless setup... although it seems 'any' decent
> router will probably work, that being the case... what are the good ones?
> 4 ports would be OK.. as long as I can bridge to another switch.
>
> cheers.
>
> Ripping

I use a Linksys WRT54G 802.11G/Ethernet router so I can use my laptop
downstairs. Very happy with it. Currently around the $170ish mark.

SteveM

Ripping Silk

> I use a Linksys WRT54G 802.11G/Ethernet router so I can use my laptop
> downstairs. Very happy with it. Currently around the $170ish mark.
>
> SteveM

Ah, was considering going the wireless router, but heard the coverage
was a little patchy, although your seems to work fine?
Another consideration, while I do have a laptop its an older one.. and
has PCMCIA slots... not the 32bit cardbus slots. So if I was to go
wireless I'd prolly end up with a 802.11b PCMCIA card, not a 802.11g
card, as I've not seen 'g' cards for PCMCIA.
So all in all I think I will stay with a wired router.. then I can
always add access points at a later stage.
So I had a look at the cheap end at DSE:

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XH1151

looks like its does the right stuff... but there seems to be an aversion
to using static internal IP's, as DHCP is always favoured, so much so
that the online instruction don't even cover static IP setup, only DHCP.

Ripping

Gavin Stephens

"Ripping Silk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cfh49f$f12$(E-Mail Removed)...
> So I had a look at the cheap end at DSE:

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...3fc0a87f99071c
/Product/View/XH1151

> looks like its does the right stuff... but there seems to be an aversion
> to using static internal IP's, as DHCP is always favoured, so much so
> that the online instruction don't even cover static IP setup, only DHCP.

The DSE unit does static internal IP addressing and the DHCP server can be
switched off easily enough through it's reasonably detailed web-based
management system.

http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=109933 is a Linksys stand
alone wired-router with NAT also. $128.

For Wi-Fi, 3com office connect access points are about $200, but have a much
better range (18dBm=60mW output vs the 15dBm=30mW output most others like
the linksys, d-link etc have for $160).

My favourite wi-fi router, the Asus WL-500G is a great toy, USB port for a
usb drive with FTP server, print server, webcam server and seperate firewall
for lan, wan and wlan and a ton of security settings. It's quite a detailed
router for both wi-fi/wired use but comes with a $270 price tag. I'm
looking at putting a WL-500G with an external antenna and booster at home to
link an Internet terminal to one of our local cafe's to make a few extra
bucks and put our little community on the web with a streamign camera etc...
They also have a dynamic host name update in them if you want to run a
server using a dynamic Internet IP, a really well thought out all in one
router:
http://www.pcalpha.co.nz/product_inf..._id=432&osCsid
=737cb178f944f38c5c9b74a60a78cb98

Gavin.

theseus

Ripping Silk wrote:
>> I use a Linksys WRT54G 802.11G/Ethernet router so I can use my laptop
>> downstairs. Very happy with it. Currently around the $170ish mark.
>>
>> SteveM

> Ah, was considering going the wireless router, but heard the
> coverage was a little patchy, although your seems to work fine?
> Another consideration, while I do have a laptop its an older one..
> and has PCMCIA slots... not the 32bit cardbus slots. So if I was to go
> wireless I'd prolly end up with a 802.11b PCMCIA card, not a 802.11g
> card, as I've not seen 'g' cards for PCMCIA.
> So all in all I think I will stay with a wired router.. then I can
> always add access points at a later stage.
> So I had a look at the cheap end at DSE:

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XH1151

> looks like its does the right stuff... but there seems to be an
> aversion to using static internal IP's, as DHCP is always favoured,
> so much so that the online instruction don't even cover static IP
> setup, only DHCP.
>
> Ripping

I have one.
There isn't any setup required for static IPs, you just set them on the
clients, within the subnet and outside the dhcp range which is set to
192.168.1.2-51 by default on mine.
When I dual boot linux, I sometimes have to reboot the router to clear the
routing table
You can also set up static dhcp by mac address.
The wrt54g mentioned by the other poster has a built in four port switch for
wired use, and it can be flashed with 3rd party firmware projects that allow
bandwidth management etc. Its most definitely a superior unit, but the dse
box is cheap and functional and has a built in usb print server which is
handy.
It works as a Unix lpd printer with an address of routerip:lp0. I print to
it with CUPS, XP services for unix, and the bundled client on the install
disk.