Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > xtra domain name ripoff

xtra domain name ripoff

Chris Hope

Wow. I knew Xtra was a ripoff for domain names but I just found out it's
even worse. Not only do they charge $14+GST per MONTH for a .nz domain
name, but they charge $70 to set it up in the first place or $50 to
transfer from another registrar. The last two are free from any decent
registrar and you should be paying $40 tops per YEAR for a New Zealad
domain name.

And don't get me started on their pricing for .com domains... ($NZ171.50 per
year compared with eg GoDaddy US$8.95).

Ryan Jacobs

"Chris Hope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Wow. I knew Xtra was a ripoff for domain names but I just found out it's
> even worse. Not only do they charge $14+GST per MONTH for a .nz domain
> name, but they charge $70 to set it up in the first place or $50 to
> transfer from another registrar. The last two are free from any decent
> registrar and you should be paying $40 tops per YEAR for a New Zealad
> domain name.
>
> And don't get me started on their pricing for .com domains... ($NZ171.50

per
> year compared with eg GoDaddy US$8.95).

Well, I'm mixed on this one

Yes its true xtra (and most of the other major ISPs) charge outrageous
prices for this. But on the other hand, we live in a free capitalist
society - so xtra (and others) are entitled to charge whatever they want.

The other side of the coin is, of course, there are many cheaper
alternatives - people need to learn to "shop around".

Although, I can see Teresa G. thinking.......... I wonder if we buy out all
the competition, we can REALLY stiff the people.

RJ out.

Collector

Chris Hope said the following on 10/08/2004 18:25:
> Wow. I knew Xtra was a ripoff for domain names but I just found out it's
> even worse. Not only do they charge $14+GST per MONTH for a .nz domain
> name, but they charge $70 to set it up in the first place or $50 to
> transfer from another registrar. The last two are free from any decent
> registrar and you should be paying $40 tops per YEAR for a New Zealad
> domain name.
>
> And don't get me started on their pricing for .com domains... ($NZ171.50 per
> year compared with eg GoDaddy US$8.95).

You have just discovered the fact of it, typical Telescum rip off.
My ISP charges $3 a month for my domain and advanced email on it and
another domain I have costs $1.95 a month. Register a domain I think
they charge $32.
I went down the price question with xtra when a client who was connected
via them wanted to have a domain name, it cost xtra a customer and I
suspect will continue to for as long as the keep gougng customers

Chris Hope

Ryan Jacobs wrote:

> "Chris Hope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Wow. I knew Xtra was a ripoff for domain names but I just found out it's
>> even worse. Not only do they charge $14+GST per MONTH for a .nz domain
>> name, but they charge $70 to set it up in the first place or $50 to
>> transfer from another registrar. The last two are free from any decent
>> registrar and you should be paying $40 tops per YEAR for a New Zealad
>> domain name.
>>
>> And don't get me started on their pricing for .com domains... ($NZ171.50

> per
>> year compared with eg GoDaddy US$8.95).
>>

> Well, I'm mixed on this one
>
> Yes its true xtra (and most of the other major ISPs) charge outrageous
> prices for this. But on the other hand, we live in a free capitalist
> society - so xtra (and others) are entitled to charge whatever they want.
>
> The other side of the coin is, of course, there are many cheaper
> alternatives - people need to learn to "shop around".
>
> Although, I can see Teresa G. thinking.......... I wonder if we buy out
> all the competition, we can REALLY stiff the people.

I don't disagree with you (about being able to charge what they want), but
unfortunately a *lot* of people who register their first domain don't know
or think to shop around. Xtra is their ISP and so they go to their ISP to
register their domain and they get ripped off because of it.

> Ryan Jacobs wrote:
>

> > "Chris Hope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> Wow. I knew Xtra was a ripoff for domain names but I just found out

it's
> >> even worse. Not only do they charge $14+GST per MONTH for a .nz domain
> >> name, but they charge $70 to set it up in the first place or $50 to
> >> transfer from another registrar. The last two are free from any decent
> >> registrar and you should be paying $40 tops per YEAR for a New Zealad
> >> domain name.
> >>
> >> And don't get me started on their pricing for .com domains...

($NZ171.50
> > per
> >> year compared with eg GoDaddy US$8.95).
> >>

> > Well, I'm mixed on this one
> >
> > Yes its true xtra (and most of the other major ISPs) charge outrageous
> > prices for this. But on the other hand, we live in a free capitalist
> > society - so xtra (and others) are entitled to charge whatever they

want.

> > The other side of the coin is, of course, there are many cheaper
> > alternatives - people need to learn to "shop around".
> >
> > Although, I can see Teresa G. thinking.......... I wonder if we buy out
> > all the competition, we can REALLY stiff the people.

> I don't disagree with you (about being able to charge what they want), but
> unfortunately a *lot* of people who register their first domain don't know
> or think to shop around. Xtra is their ISP and so they go to their ISP to
> register their domain and they get ripped off because of it.

Yeah your right. That's the thing that really confuses me though.

For example, anyone who buys a car, buys a washing machine, gets an
extension on their house, etc, etc............

......... shops around for the best deal.

But when it comes to computers/internet/etc people don't shop around for the
best deal

WTF is with that? Is it something to do with people being blinded with
technology, or people have TOO much money, or some other reason? I don't
know the answer - it just doesn't make sense.

RJ out.

Chris Hope

Ryan Jacobs wrote:

>> > The other side of the coin is, of course, there are many cheaper
>> > alternatives - people need to learn to "shop around".
>> >
>> > Although, I can see Teresa G. thinking.......... I wonder if we buy out
>> > all the competition, we can REALLY stiff the people.

>> I don't disagree with you (about being able to charge what they want),
>> but unfortunately a *lot* of people who register their first domain don't
>> know or think to shop around. Xtra is their ISP and so they go to their
>> ISP to register their domain and they get ripped off because of it.

> Yeah your right. That's the thing that really confuses me though.
>
> For example, anyone who buys a car, buys a washing machine, gets an
> extension on their house, etc, etc............
>
> ........ shops around for the best deal.
>
> But when it comes to computers/internet/etc people don't shop around for
> the best deal
>
> WTF is with that? Is it something to do with people being blinded with
> technology, or people have TOO much money, or some other reason? I don't
> know the answer - it just doesn't make sense.

Good point. Maybe they don't know *how* to shop around? This isn't
necessarily an answer - I'd like to know why as well. (Maybe they don't
know that Google is their friend... try 'domain names new zealand' and you
get some nice prices in the ads down the side.)

paora

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:53:54 +1200, "Ryan Jacobs"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>WTF is with that? Is it something to do with people being blinded with
>technology, or people have TOO much money, or some other reason? I don't
>know the answer - it just doesn't make sense.

They're scared to change, thinking it's too complicated to do so or
they don't know there's better or they don't know how to do it.

Some people don't really like using computers and only do it out of
necessity and trying to make helpful suggestions to improve their use
of them often falls on deaf ears or unco-operative brains.

" Politicians and Diapers should be changed with regularity, and for the same reasons. "

Ryan Jacobs

"paora" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:53:54 +1200, "Ryan Jacobs"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >WTF is with that? Is it something to do with people being blinded with
> >technology, or people have TOO much money, or some other reason? I don't
> >know the answer - it just doesn't make sense.

> They're scared to change, thinking it's too complicated to do so or
> they don't know there's better or they don't know how to do it.
>
> Some people don't really like using computers and only do it out of
> necessity

Absolutely agree. Fear of the unknown seems to affect people strangely.

>and trying to make helpful suggestions to improve their use
> of them often falls on deaf ears or unco-operative brains.

Alas, I think you're right. I used to try to "show the light" to "newbies".
Invariably, after they ignore advice - everything turns to s**t. And then
they want help. Now, I only offer advice when it's requested. Oh, and I
charge for it, lol.

RJ out.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Ryan Jacobs wrote:
>>They're scared to change, thinking it's too complicated to do so or
>>they don't know there's better or they don't know how to do it.
>>Some people don't really like using computers and only do it out of
>>necessity

> Absolutely agree. Fear of the unknown seems to affect people strangely.

Im the same with car stuff, I trust my mechanic doing what is needed as
I know nothing about it.

I'd shop around, but I don't know whats wrong with it sometimes, so I
just pull in and murmer about a loud gravel like noise coming from the
engine end of the car(kidding, but you get the idea.).

> Alas, I think you're right. I used to try to "show the light" to "newbies".
> Invariably, after they ignore advice - everything turns to s**t. And then
> they want help. Now, I only offer advice when it's requested. Oh, and I
> charge for it, lol.

ahem... me too.

Kookaburra

Chris Hope <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Wow. I knew Xtra was a ripoff for domain names but I just found out
> it's even worse. Not only do they charge $14+GST per MONTH for a .nz
> domain name, but they charge $70 to set it up in the first place or
> $50 to transfer from another registrar. The last two are free from any
> decent registrar and you should be paying $40 tops per YEAR for a New
> Zealad domain name.
>
> And don't get me started on their pricing for .com domains...
> ($NZ171.50 per year compared with eg GoDaddy US$8.95).

1st Domains are $25 + GST and if you only want mail accounts you can
transfer to registerdirect after 5 days and get free 10 x POP3 Email / IMAP
Accounts, Unlimited Email Forwarding, Advanced URL Redirection etc for the
first 12 months.

Cheers, kooky