Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Jetstreamgames being discontinued????

Jetstreamgames being discontinued????

Steve Robertson

Is Jetstreamgames going to be shut down??

Ryan Jacobs

"Steve Robertson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41171e06$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is Jetstreamgames going to be shut down??

Yeah, there was a Herald article about that recently.

Teresa G. has decreed that since she is an ignorant moron without a life -
it's only fair that her customers don't get to experience pleasure either.
And, all that BW usage comes out of her multi-million dollar bonus.

Alas, if only the GOVT unbundled the loop - we might have a viable
alternative! Oh, wait, Telescum is a major donor to the major political
parties (yes, both Labour & National) - ah, so that's why the loop remains
tightly entrenched up Teresa's rear end.

RJ out.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Ryan Jacobs wrote:
>>Is Jetstreamgames going to be shut down??

> Yeah, there was a Herald article about that recently.
> Teresa G. has decreed that since she is an ignorant moron without a life -
> it's only fair that her customers don't get to experience pleasure either.
> And, all that BW usage comes out of her multi-million dollar bonus.

errrr, that and that it will not be possible to do under the bitstream
access.

If you have a read of the DSL mailing list archives it explains why it
is no longer going to be possible.

Ryan Jacobs

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ryan Jacobs wrote:
> >>Is Jetstreamgames going to be shut down??

> > Yeah, there was a Herald article about that recently.
> > Teresa G. has decreed that since she is an ignorant moron without a

life -
> > it's only fair that her customers don't get to experience pleasure

either.
> > And, all that BW usage comes out of her multi-million dollar bonus.

> errrr, that and that it will not be possible to do under the bitstream
> access.
>
> If you have a read of the DSL mailing list archives it explains why it
> is no longer going to be possible.

Ummm, maybe I'm having a brain-fade (highly possible, lol), but I don't see
your point. I was, of course, taking the **** out of Herr Gatting

RJ out.

steve

Ryan Jacobs wrote:

> Ummm, maybe I'm having a brain-fade (highly possible, lol), but I don't
> see your point. I was, of course, taking the **** out of Herr Gatting
>
> RJ out.

The way ADSL is currently delivered is going to change.

The new mode / type will be "bitstream" instead of hwat we have now....

The key difference is that bitstream will see you hard-wired to whichever
ISP you sign up for.....instead of everyone being Telecom with another
ISP's label on your forehead.

So you will no longer be able to change the login on your ADSL router or
modem to access the Jestream games realm.

Doing so won't work....as your connection will be a "dedicated" one to the
ISP you signed up with.

I think I have that about right as far as the key issues go.

Craig Shore

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:39:32 +1200, steve <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Ryan Jacobs wrote:
>

>> Ummm, maybe I'm having a brain-fade (highly possible, lol), but I don't
>> see your point. I was, of course, taking the **** out of Herr Gatting
>>
>> RJ out.

>The way ADSL is currently delivered is going to change.
>
>The new mode / type will be "bitstream" instead of hwat we have now....
>
>The key difference is that bitstream will see you hard-wired to whichever
>ISP you sign up for.....instead of everyone being Telecom with another
>ISP's label on your forehead.
>
>So you will no longer be able to change the login on your ADSL router or
>modem to access the Jestream games realm.
>
>Doing so won't work....as your connection will be a "dedicated" one to the
>ISP you signed up with.
>
>I think I have that about right as far as the key issues go.

So you're saying the other ISP's are going to have to install their
own very high speed data circuit into every Telecom ADSL exchange?

Dave - Dave.net.nz

steve wrote:
> So you will no longer be able to change the login on your ADSL router or
> modem to access the Jestream games realm.
> Doing so won't work....as your connection will be a "dedicated" one to the
> ISP you signed up with.
> I think I have that about right as far as the key issues go.

thats pretty much it... without going into it too deeply, it appears
that it may be technically feasable, but not without hassle...(not the
number of maybe/possibly/if in there) this is just from what I have
read, mostly on the DSL mailing list, but googled some of it too.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Craig Shore wrote:
> So you're saying the other ISP's are going to have to install their
> own very high speed data circuit into every Telecom ADSL exchange?

not really, have a read of the telecom papers on it.
The links are there in the DSL mailing list that gets advertised here
from time to time(poster is Dan Langlille or similar)

JohnO

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ryan Jacobs wrote:
>

> > Ummm, maybe I'm having a brain-fade (highly possible, lol), but I don't
> > see your point. I was, of course, taking the **** out of Herr Gatting
> >
> > RJ out.

> The way ADSL is currently delivered is going to change.
>
> The new mode / type will be "bitstream" instead of hwat we have now....
>
> The key difference is that bitstream will see you hard-wired to whichever
> ISP you sign up for.....instead of everyone being Telecom with another
> ISP's label on your forehead.
>
> So you will no longer be able to change the login on your ADSL router or
> modem to access the Jestream games realm.
>
> Doing so won't work....as your connection will be a "dedicated" one to the
> ISP you signed up with.
>
> I think I have that about right as far as the key issues go.

.... In which case telecom could continue to make jetstreamgames free to xtra
customers if they felt like it?

Dave - Dave.net.nz

JohnO wrote:
>>The key difference is that bitstream will see you hard-wired to whichever
>>ISP you sign up for.....instead of everyone being Telecom with another
>>ISP's label on your forehead.
>>So you will no longer be able to change the login on your ADSL router or
>>modem to access the Jestream games realm.
>>Doing so won't work....as your connection will be a "dedicated" one to the
>>ISP you signed up with.

> ... In which case telecom could continue to make jetstreamgames free to xtra
> customers if they felt like it?

any isp will in theory be able to make their own JS-games realm... well,
technically at least.