Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > java apps for cellphone.

java apps for cellphone.

Daniel

i have just got a nokia 5100, that can run java apps.

just wondering if any app for a cellphone works on one of these or whether
java apps for phones are spesfic to that phone??

also is there any apps that you have used that you think is cool/ usfull
etc..??

Daniel

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Daniel wrote:
> i have just got a nokia 5100, that can run java apps.
> just wondering if any app for a cellphone works on one of these or whether
> java apps for phones are spesfic to that phone??

> also is there any apps that you have used that you think is cool/ usfull
> etc..??

from wehat I have read on it, they are usually designed for a particular
screen resolution, and as each phone is different, it is usually for
each phone.

There are exceptions, I know that some of the apps designed for the
Sharp GX10 will play on it's replacement phones(GX10i, GX20, GX30), but
alas, thats about all I know on the subject.

apps I think are cool? ummm none yet, although the PDA Ipod software is
pretty cool.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 12:05:05 +1200, Daniel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>i have just got a nokia 5100, that can run java apps.
>
>just wondering if any app for a cellphone works on one of these or whether
>java apps for phones are spesfic to that phone??
>
>also is there any apps that you have used that you think is cool/ usfull
>etc..??
>
>Daniel

Yes its called Google..

Harry

Daniel wrote:

> i have just got a nokia 5100, that can run java apps.
>
> just wondering if any app for a cellphone works on one of these or whether
> java apps for phones are spesfic to that phone??
>
> also is there any apps that you have used that you think is cool/ usfull
> etc..??

They are quite handset specific.
However some will be coded to work on a range of handsets.
As is usually the case, all phone manufacturers have agreed to differ.

Similar to the situation where people write Java apps for Windows
which then wont run on Sun (who created Java)!

The mind boggles as to what would happen if people *didn't* cooperate.

Kristofer Clayton

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 12:05:05 +1200, Daniel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>i have just got a nokia 5100, that can run java apps.
>
>just wondering if any app for a cellphone works on one of these or whether
>java apps for phones are spesfic to that phone??

On my Nokia 6820, I use:

Virca - IRC client
Mobile SSH - as it says.. Telnet/SSH client

Everything else is a game

--
Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
Gisborne, New Zealand

Daniel

SSH sounds good but so slow with a phone to type... do u get tab
completion?

Kristofer Clayton wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 12:05:05 +1200, Daniel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>i have just got a nokia 5100, that can run java apps.
>>
>>just wondering if any app for a cellphone works on one of these or whether
>>java apps for phones are spesfic to that phone??

> On my Nokia 6820, I use:
>
> Virca - IRC client
> Mobile SSH - as it says.. Telnet/SSH client
>
> Everything else is a game
>
> --
> Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
> Gisborne, New Zealand

Kristofer Clayton

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:53:44 +1200, Daniel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> On my Nokia 6820, I use:
>>
>> Virca - IRC client
>> Mobile SSH - as it says.. Telnet/SSH client

>SSH sounds good but so slow with a phone to type... do u get tab
>completion?

Er, I don't think my phone has a tab key

--
Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
Gisborne, New Zealand

Daniel

>>doesntounds good but so slow with a phone to type... do u get tab
>>completion?

> Er, I don't think my phone has a tab key

it dosnt capture some other key as a tab?

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Kristofer Clayton wrote:
>>>Virca - IRC client
>>>Mobile SSH - as it says.. Telnet/SSH client

>>SSH sounds good but so slow with a phone to type... do u get tab
>>completion?

> Er, I don't think my phone has a tab key

you have the wrong phone then

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz