Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Colour Lasers

Colour Lasers

Ron McNulty

Hi All

There are a swag of colour lasers coming on the market at around $1,000.
Epson, HP and Brother are all represented, with a Brother machine offering
29ppm in black and 8ppm in colour for under $1,100

My question is, has anyone had practical experience with such printers? For
instance, are they intelligent enough to realise a page is in colour or
monochrome, and give it the "once round the drum" or "4 times round the
drum" treatment as appropriate?

Regards

Ron McNulty

Patrick Dunford

In article <1jmRc.10571$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Hi All
>
> There are a swag of colour lasers coming on the market at around $1,000.
> Epson, HP and Brother are all represented, with a Brother machine offering
> 29ppm in black and 8ppm in colour for under $1,100
>
> My question is, has anyone had practical experience with such printers? For
> instance, are they intelligent enough to realise a page is in colour or
> monochrome, and give it the "once round the drum" or "4 times round the
> drum" treatment as appropriate?

Have used a Ricoh Aficio colour laser.

In the drivers, you can set them to print in either B&W or colour. Set
B&W as the default and select colour only when you actually want to print
in colour, if it's the only printer you have, you won't want to print
everthing in colour.

wogers nemesis

In article <1jmRc.10571$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Hi All
>
> There are a swag of colour lasers coming on the market at around $1,000.
> Epson, HP and Brother are all represented, with a Brother machine offering
> 29ppm in black and 8ppm in colour for under $1,100
>
> My question is, has anyone had practical experience with such printers? For
> instance, are they intelligent enough to realise a page is in colour or
> monochrome, and give it the "once round the drum" or "4 times round the
> drum" treatment as appropriate?
>
> Regards
>
> Ron McNulty
>
>I think you'll find that they talk about a carousel containing four

toners - the imaging drum is another part altogether. I believe if you
told it to print the page in black and black happens to be in thr right
position already it wouldn't bother to spin the carousel around.

Having said that, they use up more consumble parts (imaging drum and
transfer kits etc) that black laser printers, so using them to print
black can be expensive...

Harry

Ron McNulty wrote:

> Hi All
>
> There are a swag of colour lasers coming on the market at around $1,000.
> Epson, HP and Brother are all represented, with a Brother machine offering
> 29ppm in black and 8ppm in colour for under $1,100
>
> My question is, has anyone had practical experience with such printers?
> For instance, are they intelligent enough to realise a page is in colour
> or monochrome, and give it the "once round the drum" or "4 times round the
> drum" treatment as appropriate?

Does it matter? If it goes "round the drum" and no toner is deposited
then what does it matter?

You can control whether it is treated as color in software printing options.

Gurble

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 21:26:07 +1200, "Ron McNulty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There are a swag of colour lasers coming on the market at around $1,000.
>Epson, HP and Brother are all represented, with a Brother machine offering
>29ppm in black and 8ppm in colour for under $1,100

The Brother one is slow, assuming the HL2700cn.

Well, it's not crap in the print quality department, which is
surprisingly good, but it's crap in that it takes forever for the
first page to print. Whatever the specs say, it will take a good 3
minutes for the first colour page to actually rear it's head, which is
a really long time to sit there looking at it.

8ppm colour is just not right in the real world - whatever the specs
say.

We bought one at work, and are looking at selling it and getting a
faster one. It doesn't get used much, probably at most had a couple of
hundred pages, but may be interested in selling it for a hundred or so
off the new price, with full warranty etc, if you're interested (maybe
a month old tops).

Freight is the issue of course. They're bloody heavy, and we're in
Dunedin.

Philip Roy

If it's of any interest to you, I had a quick glimpse at Consumer
Magazine recently. Can't remember the model number, but the HP color
laser was one of their "recommended".

Phil

--
MacGuide @ NZMac.com :: http://www.macguide.co.nz
All Mac - All Kiwi

Patrick Dunford

says...
> On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 21:26:07 +1200, "Ron McNulty"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >There are a swag of colour lasers coming on the market at around $1,000.
> >Epson, HP and Brother are all represented, with a Brother machine offering
> >29ppm in black and 8ppm in colour for under $1,100

> The Brother one is slow, assuming the HL2700cn.
>
> Well, it's not crap in the print quality department, which is
> surprisingly good, but it's crap in that it takes forever for the
> first page to print. Whatever the specs say, it will take a good 3
> minutes for the first colour page to actually rear it's head, which is
> a really long time to sit there looking at it.

The Ricoh 206 takes 5 minutes to come up off standby to printing.

bottom

"Ron McNulty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1jmRc.10571$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All
>
> There are a swag of colour lasers coming on the market at around $1,000.
> Epson, HP and Brother are all represented, with a Brother machine offering
> 29ppm in black and 8ppm in colour for under $1,100
>
> My question is, has anyone had practical experience with such printers?

For
> instance, are they intelligent enough to realise a page is in colour or
> monochrome, and give it the "once round the drum" or "4 times round the
> drum" treatment as appropriate?
>
> Regards
>
> Ron McNulty

My new Oki 5300 is fast and reliable so far.

Ron McNulty

Speed, mate - or rather the lack of it. They all seem to print 4x faster in
black

Also, many a document consists of a colour title page followed by mono
pages. It they are all printed in "colour" it will be pretty slow.

Regards

Ron

"Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wkoRc.10610$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ron McNulty wrote:
>
> > Hi All
> >
> > There are a swag of colour lasers coming on the market at around $1,000.
> > Epson, HP and Brother are all represented, with a Brother machine

offering
> > 29ppm in black and 8ppm in colour for under $1,100
> >
> > My question is, has anyone had practical experience with such printers?
> > For instance, are they intelligent enough to realise a page is in colour
> > or monochrome, and give it the "once round the drum" or "4 times round

the
> > drum" treatment as appropriate?

> Does it matter? If it goes "round the drum" and no toner is deposited
> then what does it matter?
>
> You can control whether it is treated as color in software printing

options.

Ron McNulty

Yes it was the 2700cn I was looking at.

Are you running it on its Ethernet port?

Regards

Ron

news(E-Mail Removed)...