Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Enabling GRE on a Dynalink RTA210 router

Enabling GRE on a Dynalink RTA210 router

Ray Greene

Anyone know if it's possible to do this?

I'm trying to get VPN running across an RTA210 but I can't find a setting for
GRE, only for TCP & UDP ports.

Ray Greene.

wogers nemesis

In article <cf3r3d$4to$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Anyone know if it's possible to do this?
>
> I'm trying to get VPN running across an RTA210 but I can't find a setting for
> GRE, only for TCP & UDP ports.
>
> Ray Greene.

I don't think you'll be able to do this unless you just forward all
traffic to something like a linux box with two network cards.

The Other Guy

wogers nemesis wrote:
> In article <cf3r3d$4to$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>>Anyone know if it's possible to do this?
>>
>>I'm trying to get VPN running across an RTA210 but I can't find a setting for
>>GRE, only for TCP & UDP ports.
>>
>>Ray Greene.
>>

> I don't think you'll be able to do this unless you just forward all
> traffic to something like a linux box with two network cards.

The RTA210 doesn't support this configuration either. My solution was to
get a better router. The DSE XH1169 is by far the most configurable
router I have seen, and the half bridge mode makes the use of a FreeBSD
box as a router a painless process. Supports VPN passthrough as is I
believe, so you wouldn't need to use a separate PC just for that.

The Other Guy

Ray Greene

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 14:33:30 +1200, The Other Guy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The RTA210 doesn't support this configuration either. My solution was to
>get a better router. The DSE XH1169 is by far the most configurable
>router I have seen, and the half bridge mode makes the use of a FreeBSD
>box as a router a painless process. Supports VPN passthrough as is I
>believe, so you wouldn't need to use a separate PC just for that.

Thanks Guy, I went out and bought one and it works like a charm.

If anyone's interested Dick Smith have the old model XH1149 reduced to clear
at $129. Or I know where you could get a used Dynalink cheap

Ray Greene.

The Other Guy

Ray Greene wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 14:33:30 +1200, The Other Guy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>The RTA210 doesn't support this configuration either. My solution was to
>>get a better router. The DSE XH1169 is by far the most configurable
>>router I have seen, and the half bridge mode makes the use of a FreeBSD
>>box as a router a painless process. Supports VPN passthrough as is I
>>believe, so you wouldn't need to use a separate PC just for that.

> Thanks Guy, I went out and bought one and it works like a charm.
>
> If anyone's interested Dick Smith have the old model XH1149 reduced to clear
> at $129. Or I know where you could get a used Dynalink cheap

The XH1149 and XH1169 are basically the same router, having only a
different Ethernet chipset and slightly different appearance. The
firmware upgrades are for both routers, which makes a nice change from
Dynalink who didn't upgrade theirs at all.

When I got mine, the XH1149 was still listed at the old price, $10 more
than the XH1169. Now that it is $30 cheaper, I'd probably go with the
HX1149 if in stock. It is the same after all

The Other Guy

Ray Greene

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 18:27:18 +1200, The Other Guy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The XH1149 and XH1169 are basically the same router, having only a
>different Ethernet chipset and slightly different appearance. The
>firmware upgrades are for both routers, which makes a nice change from
>Dynalink who didn't upgrade theirs at all.
>
>When I got mine, the XH1149 was still listed at the old price, $10 more
>than the XH1169. Now that it is $30 cheaper, I'd probably go with the
>HX1149 if in stock. It is the same after all

Yes I would have got the old model but they were out of stock locally

Ray Greene.

Ron McNulty

Tried to get a VPN going through my old Dynalink router (I think it was a
RTA-210) without success. Ended up buying a DSL-302G for around $160 - works
fine

Regard

Ron

"Ray Greene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cf3r3d$4to$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone know if it's possible to do this?
>
> I'm trying to get VPN running across an RTA210 but I can't find a setting

for
> GRE, only for TCP & UDP ports.
>
> Ray Greene.

theseus

"Ray Greene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cf3r3d$4to$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone know if it's possible to do this?
>
> I'm trying to get VPN running across an RTA210 but I can't find a setting

for
> GRE, only for TCP & UDP ports.
>
> Ray Greene.

I don't know specifically for that router, but I have Microsoft PPTP running
on a DSE (surecom) router which doesn't have any GRE settings either, I've
just put 47 both and 1723 both forwarding to my VPN host IP.

Enkidu

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 09:08:33 +1200, "theseus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Ray Greene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:cf3r3d$4to$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Anyone know if it's possible to do this?
>>
>> I'm trying to get VPN running across an RTA210 but I can't find a setting

>for
>> GRE, only for TCP & UDP ports.
>>
>> Ray Greene.

>I don't know specifically for that router, but I have Microsoft PPTP running
>on a DSE (surecom) router which doesn't have any GRE settings either, I've
>just put 47 both and 1723 both forwarding to my VPN host IP.

47 is not a port number. It's a protocol number. 47=GRE.

Cheers,

Cliff

Ray Greene

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 09:08:33 +1200, "theseus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Ray Greene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:cf3r3d$4to$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Anyone know if it's possible to do this?
>>
>> I'm trying to get VPN running across an RTA210 but I can't find a setting

>for
>> GRE, only for TCP & UDP ports.
>>
>> Ray Greene.

>I don't know specifically for that router, but I have Microsoft PPTP running
>on a DSE (surecom) router which doesn't have any GRE settings either, I've
>just put 47 both and 1723 both forwarding to my VPN host IP.

I think some have GRE turned on by default so you just have to set up the
ports.

Ray Greene.