Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Going rate / age of 1 GHz system

Reply
Thread Tools

Going rate / age of 1 GHz system

 
 
Patrick Dunford
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-05-2004
What is the going rate these days for a system with approx the following
specs?

Pentium 1000
256 MB
10 GB HDD
100mbps NIC (may be onboard)
onboard video
onboard sound
FDD
USB
Any version of Windows
Keyboard and mouse (prefer wheelmouse)
Optional CDROM or must be in a case that allows a standard CDROM to be
installed.
Prefer a low profile desktop (see above); can be a mini tower.

Would this type of system be approx 3 years old (e.g. ex corporates)

We are going to have to replace all of our machines 6 years and older
with at least this spec machine in order to get computers that can run
Windows XP satisfactorily, since Windows 98 is being phased out. Some of
the replacement machines may be new but other second hands will be ideal
for classrooms.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-05-2004
Patrick Dunford wrote:

> What is the going rate these days for a system with approx the following
> specs?


I've been buying Compaq SFF machines of about that spec (PIII 733 - 933)
at auction for about the $150 - 200+GST mark. All have had Win98SE or
NT4 CoA's attached. Any that I have seen with a Win2K CoA have tended
to fetch a bit more.

--
EMB
change two to number to reply
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ryan Jacobs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-05-2004

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ces155$vs9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Patrick Dunford wrote:
>
> > What is the going rate these days for a system with approx the following
> > specs?

>
> I've been buying Compaq SFF machines of about that spec (PIII 733 - 933)
> at auction for about the $150 - 200+GST mark. All have had Win98SE or
> NT4 CoA's attached. Any that I have seen with a Win2K CoA have tended
> to fetch a bit more.
>
> --


Yeah, given the prices of NEW systems are plummeting (and will probably fall
further), then anything over $300 for those specs would be robbery.

You can get a NEW System with a 2.4 processor, 256RAM, etc, for under $1000.
Of course, like all things, you get what for pay for - but the OP only
requires a low spec system.

RJ out.


 
Reply With Quote
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-05-2004
Ryan Jacobs wrote:


> Yeah, given the prices of NEW systems are plummeting (and will probably fall
> further), then anything over $300 for those specs would be robbery.
>
> You can get a NEW System with a 2.4 processor, 256RAM, etc, for under $1000.
> Of course, like all things, you get what for pay for - but the OP only
> requires a low spec system.
>

I think they were for a school, and I know that budget is important but
IMO buying at that level now is a false economy. They'll be "too slow"
for some tasks practically before they're installed, unless they're just
being used as thin clients.

The only reason I've been buying them is for a business that's still
running an old character based accounting/CRM package and wants to last
until next year when they get new premises, server, software and desktops.

--
EMB
change two to number to reply
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-05-2004
Daniel wrote:
>> I've been buying Compaq SFF machines of about that spec (PIII 733 -
>> 933) at auction for about the $150 - 200+GST mark. All have had
>> Win98SE or NT4 CoA's attached. Any that I have seen with a Win2K CoA
>> have tended to fetch a bit more.


> Really? Not bad.
> Which auctioneers sell them for that price?


HEH, NONE ASSUMING WE ALL FIND OUT AND GO THERE.
oops, caps, sorry.
--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz
 
Reply With Quote
 
Daniel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-05-2004
EMB wrote:
> Patrick Dunford wrote:
>
>> What is the going rate these days for a system with approx the
>> following specs?

>
>
> I've been buying Compaq SFF machines of about that spec (PIII 733 - 933)
> at auction for about the $150 - 200+GST mark. All have had Win98SE or
> NT4 CoA's attached. Any that I have seen with a Win2K CoA have tended
> to fetch a bit more.
>

Really? Not bad.

Which auctioneers sell them for that price?

 
Reply With Quote
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-05-2004
Daniel wrote:

> Really? Not bad.
>
> Which auctioneers sell them for that price?


Hymans if you find a quiet night with plenty of them available - but
they seem to be selling more and more off pre-auction. I'm still
waiting for some servers that I know went to Hymans to actually appear
in an auction - after 3 months I don't hold much hope of them actually
appearing.


--
EMB
change two to number to reply
 
Reply With Quote
 
Daniel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-05-2004
Ryan Jacobs wrote:
>
> Yeah, given the prices of NEW systems are plummeting (and will probably fall
> further), then anything over $300 for those specs would be robbery.
>
> You can get a NEW System with a 2.4 processor, 256RAM, etc, for under $1000.
> Of course, like all things, you get what for pay for - but the OP only
> requires a low spec system.
>
> RJ out.
>
>


I'm curious to see how things play out in the next few months with the arrival
of D3, and the commencement of the latest gen of 3D engines (HL2 and CS-Source
are yet to be released).

There's not many big retailers (in fact I can't think of any) who sell a stock
PC that can actually play D3 (I personally wouldn't count GF4MX, FX5200, 9200).

Apparently The Warehouse $999.99 PC doesn't even have an AGP slot, which could
be interesting since they also sell D3 for $80.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Don Hills
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-05-2004
In article <ces2vp$18m$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Daniel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>Which auctioneers sell them for that price?


You mean, which auction patrons bid them up to that price?

At a recent Turners auction in Wellington, ex-lease 600-700 MHz class
machines (mainly Compaq Deskpro) with 17 inch monitors (mainly Compaq and
Philips) and mainly W98 CoA were going for about $250 inclusive.

--
Don Hills (dmhills at attglobaldotnet) Wellington, New Zealand
It's ironic that people who are too smart to engage in politics
are governed by people who are not as smart.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Daniel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-05-2004
Don Hills wrote:
> In article <ces2vp$18m$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Daniel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Which auctioneers sell them for that price?

>
>
> You mean, which auction patrons bid them up to that price?
>
> At a recent Turners auction in Wellington, ex-lease 600-700 MHz class
> machines (mainly Compaq Deskpro) with 17 inch monitors (mainly Compaq and
> Philips) and mainly W98 CoA were going for about $250 inclusive.
>


Apologies for the vagueness, I should've said which auctioneers sell them
with those reserve prices.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentium 4 / 3 Ghz CPU type Sl6wk runs at 2 Ghz Barry OGrady Computer Support 15 07-18-2009 03:13 PM
Re: 2.4 GHz and 2.6 GHz, does 2.6 go that much faster?? DaveG Computer Support 2 07-06-2003 03:05 PM
Re: 2.4 GHz and 2.6 GHz, does 2.6 go that much faster?? philo Computer Support 0 07-06-2003 01:26 PM
Re: 2.4 GHz and 2.6 GHz, does 2.6 go that much faster?? ztroll Computer Support 0 07-05-2003 11:31 PM
Re: 2.4 GHz and 2.6 GHz, does 2.6 go that much faster?? Brian H Computer Support 0 07-05-2003 11:25 PM



Advertisments