Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > unified drivers

unified drivers

Dave - Dave.net.nz

A few years back quite a few companies moved to a unified driver
system(nvidia, intel, ati, via).

Wouldn't it be better to have drivers made specifically for the product
you're using rather than some generic "Jack of all trades" driver?

I realise that it does detect what you have in your system, but in my
nvidia drivers there are references to practically all of their other
products too.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Harry

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> A few years back quite a few companies moved to a unified driver
> system(nvidia, intel, ati, via).
>
> Wouldn't it be better to have drivers made specifically for the product
> you're using rather than some generic "Jack of all trades" driver?

No.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Harry wrote:
>>A few years back quite a few companies moved to a unified driver
>>system(nvidia, intel, ati, via).
>>Wouldn't it be better to have drivers made specifically for the product
>>you're using rather than some generic "Jack of all trades" driver?

> No.

oh wow, thanks for that answer, that clarifies it all for me now, I
don't see how I could have got it all so wrong...

now, can you explain your answer a little?

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Gurble

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 10:40:32 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote:

>A few years back quite a few companies moved to a unified driver
>system(nvidia, intel, ati, via).
>
>Wouldn't it be better to have drivers made specifically for the product
>you're using rather than some generic "Jack of all trades" driver?

No. This makes it easier for everyone, and almost guarantees driver
support in the future.

Also, many Joes don't actually know the details of their card, except
the manufacturer.

The big problem, however, is that they don't include the mobile
graphics cards in the unified drivers. For instance, Doom 3 requires
the latest drivers, and would not work with the (latest) Mobility
Radeon 9600 drivers in my laptop, as ASUS haven't released a driver
since about January. I had to mod the ATI Catalyst drivers to make
them work on my laptop, and hence get Doom 3 going.

(http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/ for anyone else in the same boat).

But, hell, was it worth it or what!!

theseus

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> A few years back quite a few companies moved to a unified driver
> system(nvidia, intel, ati, via).
>
> Wouldn't it be better to have drivers made specifically for the
> product you're using rather than some generic "Jack of all trades"
> driver?

It IS the driver specifically made for your product, bundled with all the
drivers for the rest of their products in one installer

Dave - Dave.net.nz

theseus wrote:
>>Wouldn't it be better to have drivers made specifically for the
>>product you're using rather than some generic "Jack of all trades"
>>driver?

> It IS the driver specifically made for your product, bundled with all the
> drivers for the rest of their products in one installer

ok then, maybe I just long for the 18kb driver download I have with my
NIC, rather than the 18mb download for video drivers...

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

~misfit~

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> theseus wrote:
>>> Wouldn't it be better to have drivers made specifically for the
>>> product you're using rather than some generic "Jack of all trades"
>>> driver?

>> It IS the driver specifically made for your product, bundled with
>> all the drivers for the rest of their products in one installer

> ok then, maybe I just long for the 18kb driver download I have with my
> NIC, rather than the 18mb download for video drivers...

Yeah, I think that's more the issue. Especially if the manufacturer updates
drivers frequently. I must have a gig of 'Detonator' drivers from over the
past few years.
--
~misfit~

Harry

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Harry wrote:
>>>A few years back quite a few companies moved to a unified driver
>>>system(nvidia, intel, ati, via).
>>>Wouldn't it be better to have drivers made specifically for the product
>>>you're using rather than some generic "Jack of all trades" driver?

>> No.

> oh wow, thanks for that answer, that clarifies it all for me now, I
> don't see how I could have got it all so wrong...

You asked a question and I gave you the answer.

Harry wrote:
>>oh wow, thanks for that answer, that clarifies it all for me now, I
>>don't see how I could have got it all so wrong...

> You asked a question and I gave you the answer.

>>now, can you explain your answer a little?

> No.

thanks harry, as always, you've been as helpfull as I expected.

you made me smile, which may or may not have been your intent, either
way, thanks.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Dave Taylor

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:TlfQc.9126$(E-Mail Removed):

> Yeah, I think that's more the issue. Especially if the manufacturer
> updates drivers frequently. I must have a gig of 'Detonator' drivers
> from over the past few years.
> --
> ~misfit~

It is not called the bleading edge for nothing...
Ciao, Dave