Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > [HDW] Cable modem question

[HDW] Cable modem question

Mauricio Freitas

Got a phone call from TelstraClear today. Since I'm using the 10mbps service
(a few of months now) and they found out I'm still using the original COM21
(mine is more than four years old now), they asked if I'd allow them to swap
for a Docsys modem.

Anyone has got any experience with these? Is peformance better than my
current COM21?

Apparently I'll still have a static IP address, but it will be a new one
when I have my modem changed.

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

Nathan Mercer

"Mauricio Freitas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<GX_Pc.1702$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Got a phone call from TelstraClear today. Since I'm using the 10mbps service
> (a few of months now) and they found out I'm still using the original COM21
> (mine is more than four years old now), they asked if I'd allow them to swap
> for a Docsys modem.
>
> Anyone has got any experience with these? Is peformance better than my
> current COM21?
>
> Apparently I'll still have a static IP address, but it will be a new one
> when I have my modem changed.

Did they say why they wanted you to change hardware? Or did they just
say you had to do it?

Maybe those old COM21 devices can be subverted to muck with accounting
records or increase the speed etc?

Nath

Nigel Roberts

Nathan Mercer wrote:

> "Mauricio Freitas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<GX_Pc.1702$(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> Got a phone call from TelstraClear today. Since I'm using the 10mbps
>> service (a few of months now) and they found out I'm still using the
>> original COM21 (mine is more than four years old now), they asked if I'd
>> allow them to swap for a Docsys modem.
>>
>> Anyone has got any experience with these? Is peformance better than my
>> current COM21?
>>
>> Apparently I'll still have a static IP address, but it will be a new one
>> when I have my modem changed.

> Did they say why they wanted you to change hardware? Or did they just
> say you had to do it?
>
> Maybe those old COM21 devices can be subverted to muck with accounting
> records or increase the speed etc?
>
> Nath

The only reasons they're swapping out the Com21 modems is because they and
the equipment they rely on are old and there are some issues with getting
the full 10Mbps through the 10Mbps ethernet port on a Com21 modem (it's
only half duplex).

DOCSIS performance is much better, both in terms of latency (for various
packet sizes) and bandwidth.

Mauricio Freitas

"Nathan Mercer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> "Mauricio Freitas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<GX_Pc.1702$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Got a phone call from TelstraClear today. Since I'm using the 10mbps

service
> > (a few of months now) and they found out I'm still using the original

COM21
> > (mine is more than four years old now), they asked if I'd allow them to

swap
> > for a Docsys modem.
> >
> > Anyone has got any experience with these? Is peformance better than my
> > current COM21?
> >
> > Apparently I'll still have a static IP address, but it will be a new one
> > when I have my modem changed.

> Did they say why they wanted you to change hardware? Or did they just
> say you had to do it?
>
> Maybe those old COM21 devices can be subverted to muck with accounting
> records or increase the speed etc?
>
> Nath

Don't need to increase speed - already on 10mbps here

They say it the Docsys works better with 10mbps and they wanted to move
everyone on 10mbps to this new model. That's all.

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

Mauricio Freitas

"Nigel Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jAwQc.1923$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nathan Mercer wrote:
>
> > "Mauricio Freitas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:<GX_Pc.1702$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> >> Got a phone call from TelstraClear today. Since I'm using the 10mbps
> >> service (a few of months now) and they found out I'm still using the
> >> original COM21 (mine is more than four years old now), they asked if

I'd
> >> allow them to swap for a Docsys modem.
> >>
> >> Anyone has got any experience with these? Is peformance better than my
> >> current COM21?
> >>
> >> Apparently I'll still have a static IP address, but it will be a new

one
> >> when I have my modem changed.

> > Did they say why they wanted you to change hardware? Or did they just
> > say you had to do it?
> >
> > Maybe those old COM21 devices can be subverted to muck with accounting
> > records or increase the speed etc?
> >
> > Nath

> The only reasons they're swapping out the Com21 modems is because they and
> the equipment they rely on are old and there are some issues with getting
> the full 10Mbps through the 10Mbps ethernet port on a Com21 modem (it's
> only half duplex).
>
> DOCSIS performance is much better, both in terms of latency (for various
> packet sizes) and bandwidth.

If this is the case I'm on!

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:51:55 +1200, "Mauricio Freitas"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Nathan Mercer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> "Mauricio Freitas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>news:<GX_Pc.1702$(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> > Got a phone call from TelstraClear today. Since I'm using the 10mbps

>service
>> > (a few of months now) and they found out I'm still using the original

>COM21
>> > (mine is more than four years old now), they asked if I'd allow them to

>swap
>> > for a Docsys modem.
>> >
>> > Anyone has got any experience with these? Is peformance better than my
>> > current COM21?
>> >
>> > Apparently I'll still have a static IP address, but it will be a new one
>> > when I have my modem changed.

>> Did they say why they wanted you to change hardware? Or did they just
>> say you had to do it?
>>
>> Maybe those old COM21 devices can be subverted to muck with accounting
>> records or increase the speed etc?
>>
>> Nath

>Don't need to increase speed - already on 10mbps here
>
>They say it the Docsys works better with 10mbps and they wanted to move
>everyone on 10mbps to this new model. That's all.

And what is the Story about the 256k Users..

I read very confusing comments here and from TelstraClear that I have to move
up to one of there lesser Plans after one year, and others stating you can
stay with you existing plan..

Mauricio Freitas

"Mauricio Freitas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CQyQc.1950$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The only reasons they're swapping out the Com21 modems is because they

and
> > the equipment they rely on are old and there are some issues with

getting
> > the full 10Mbps through the 10Mbps ethernet port on a Com21 modem (it's
> > only half duplex).
> >
> > DOCSIS performance is much better, both in terms of latency (for various
> > packet sizes) and bandwidth.
> >

> If this is the case I'm on!

Wow! My FTP throughput seems to be 2x now, when downloading a 35MB file
using WS_FTP!

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):