Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: HELP OS Language Change

Re: HELP OS Language Change

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Just Trev"
<lewis-at-quicksilver.net.nz> says...
> Help!
>
> Just bought a second hand computer off a guy here in NZ.
>
> Thing is - the OS language is in Korean!
>
> Now - is there any easy way to change this back to English? It is of course
> made even harder in that I cant read what the settings say etc, to change
> the selected language back to English (if you know what I mean).
>
> Any simple solutions?

Don't buy a PC with the Korean language version of Windows installed next
time.

Just Trev

"Patrick Dunford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Just Trev"
> <lewis-at-quicksilver.net.nz> says...
> > Help!
> >
> > Just bought a second hand computer off a guy here in NZ.
> >
> > Thing is - the OS language is in Korean!
> >
> > Now - is there any easy way to change this back to English? It is of

course
> > made even harder in that I cant read what the settings say etc, to

change
> > the selected language back to English (if you know what I mean).
> >
> > Any simple solutions?

> Don't buy a PC with the Korean language version of Windows installed next
> time.

No really, that's helpful, and despite what the rest of NZ say, you arn't a
dork at all.

Trev

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Just Trev"
<lewis-at-quicksilver.net.nz> says...

> "Patrick Dunford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Just Trev"
> > <lewis-at-quicksilver.net.nz> says...
> > > Help!
> > >
> > > Just bought a second hand computer off a guy here in NZ.
> > >
> > > Thing is - the OS language is in Korean!
> > >
> > > Now - is there any easy way to change this back to English? It is of

> course
> > > made even harder in that I cant read what the settings say etc, to

> change
> > > the selected language back to English (if you know what I mean).
> > >
> > > Any simple solutions?

> > Don't buy a PC with the Korean language version of Windows installed next
> > time.

> No really, that's helpful, and despite what the rest of NZ say, you arn't a
> dork at all.

If it has a Korean language version of Windows installed, you have to
install an English version of Windows.

Just Trev

"Patrick Dunford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Just Trev"
> <lewis-at-quicksilver.net.nz> says...
> >
> > "Patrick Dunford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> > > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Just Trev"
> > > <lewis-at-quicksilver.net.nz> says...

of
> > course

> > change

> > > Don't buy a PC with the Korean language version of Windows installed

next
> > > time.

> > No really, that's helpful, and despite what the rest of NZ say, you

arn't a
> > dork at all.

> If it has a Korean language version of Windows installed, you have to
> install an English version of Windows.

See you can be helpful with just a little effort Patrick.

The thing is - the Start button, Windows logos, etc are all in English -
so..... does this mean it is actually a Korean version of Windows, or just
been set as the language of choice?

Trev

William W. Plummer

Just Trev wrote:

> "Patrick Dunford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Just Trev"
>><lewis-at-quicksilver.net.nz> says...
>>
>>>"Patrick Dunford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) et.nz...

> of
>
>>>course

>>>change

> next

>>>No really, that's helpful, and despite what the rest of NZ say, you

> arn't a
>
>>>dork at all.

>>If it has a Korean language version of Windows installed, you have to
>>install an English version of Windows.

> See you can be helpful with just a little effort Patrick.
>
> The thing is - the Start button, Windows logos, etc are all in English -
> so..... does this mean it is actually a Korean version of Windows, or just
> been set as the language of choice?
>
> Trev

Try poking around on Microsoft.com . There is a language pack
installer and I seem to remember something about switching on the fly.
Also, check jsiinc.com .

Murray Sutherland

> The thing is - the Start button, Windows logos, etc are all in English -
> so..... does this mean it is actually a Korean version of Windows, or just
> been set as the language of choice?
>
> Trev

What windows version??

Do you have the install disc that came with it??

The windows logo, start button are probably images (as opposed to the
text in menu items &c.)

Murray

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Just Trev"
<lewis-at-quicksilver.net.nz> says...

> "Patrick Dunford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Just Trev"
> > <lewis-at-quicksilver.net.nz> says...
> > >
> > > "Patrick Dunford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...

> of
> > > course
> > > change

> next
> > >
> > > No really, that's helpful, and despite what the rest of NZ say, you

> arn't a
> > > dork at all.

> > If it has a Korean language version of Windows installed, you have to
> > install an English version of Windows.

> See you can be helpful with just a little effort Patrick.
>
> The thing is - the Start button, Windows logos, etc are all in English -
> so..... does this mean it is actually a Korean version of Windows, or just
> been set as the language of choice?

MS produces different language versions of Windows. Individual
applications do have some capabilities to implement their own MUI.

Just Trev

"Murray Sutherland" <murray-sutherland@{remove}clear.net.nz> wrote in
message news:410f2cb2$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > The thing is - the Start button, Windows logos, etc are all in English -
> > so..... does this mean it is actually a Korean version of Windows, or

just
> > been set as the language of choice?
> >
> > Trev
> >

> What windows version??

Win 2000

> Do you have the install disc that came with it??

Unfortunately not. But - it is not a pirated copy, it was actually a PC
given to the guy I bought it from by a church (yes a Korean Church lol) who
updated their computer.

Trev

Ryan Jacobs

"Just Trev" <lewis-at-quicksilver.net.nz> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Murray Sutherland" <murray-sutherland@{remove}clear.net.nz> wrote in
> message news:410f2cb2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > The thing is - the Start button, Windows logos, etc are all in

English -
> > > so..... does this mean it is actually a Korean version of Windows, or

> just
> > > been set as the language of choice?
> > >
> > > Trev
> > >

> > What windows version??

> Win 2000
>

> > Do you have the install disc that came with it??

> Unfortunately not. But - it is not a pirated copy, it was actually a PC
> given to the guy I bought it from by a church (yes a Korean Church lol)

who
> updated their computer.

Total long shot (alas, I don't have a lot of experience with Windows using
foreign languages), but try to navigate to Control Panel\Regional Options -
and see if you can change the settings to English from there - of course,
being in Korean may make that difficult - but its all I've got right now

Good luck

RJ out.

Mark Bondurant

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:18:30 +1200, Just Trev wrote:

> "Murray Sutherland" <murray-sutherland@{remove}clear.net.nz> wrote in
> message news:410f2cb2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > The thing is - the Start button, Windows logos, etc are all in
>> > English - so..... does this mean it is actually a Korean version of
>> > Windows, or

> just
>> > been set as the language of choice?
>> >
>> > Trev
>> >

>> What windows version??

> Win 2000
>

>> Do you have the install disc that came with it??

> Unfortunately not. But - it is not a pirated copy, it was actually a PC
> given to the guy I bought it from by a church (yes a Korean Church lol)
> who updated their computer.

It won't do any good. The different language distributions are on
separate disks. You need a friend who can cut you a new OS disk with a
spoofed serial number. Better make sure it's a good friend cause doing
this can be a dangerous thing these days. There's no privacy in the MS
world anymore. You are going to have to completely reinstall everything.

Got no OS disk, got no money to buy one, got no friend to share the
danger, then I suggest looking into Linux. Redhat is a nice choice for
the uninitiated, although I grit my teeth every time it puts it's apps in
the wrong directories. It has an easy install and comes with OpenOffice,
an MS compatible office suite (or at least it did when I last installed it
-- things change though). In fact it comes with just about everything you
could possibly want and it will run on anything bigger than a 486, which
you do since you're talking about WIN2000 (a nice OS by the way. Someone
made a mistake at Microsoft when they released that).

Mark