Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Heatsink on northbridge chip broken

Heatsink on northbridge chip broken

Allistar

Hi all,
I have an ASUS P4PE (with a P4 2.4GHz and 1Gb of DDR RAM). When installing
an extra 512Mb of RAM recently I noticed the heatsink on the northbridge
chip has come off. In the ASUS design this heatsink is held on by 4
"staples" in the motherboard. 2 of these staples have come out, meaning the
the heatsink can no longer hold on to the board.
I have no idea how long it has been like this before, and the PC does seem
to run ok. The northbridge chip does feel quite hot though.
I have recently ordered some thermel cement which I hope to reattach the
heatsink with (disregarding the "staple" mechanism altogether.

Has anyone else has experience with these ASUS "staple" mechanism of
holding a heatsink to a chip?

Do you think it would last long with no heatsink at all (it has a cpu fan,
PSU fan and case fan, the latter of which is located close to the
northbridge chip).

I figure if it overheats and dies I could replace it with a nice dual
AMD-64, if only the bank account would let me.

Allistar.

Patrick Dunford

In article <kyoPc.1421$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Hi all,
> I have an ASUS P4PE (with a P4 2.4GHz and 1Gb of DDR RAM). When installing
> an extra 512Mb of RAM recently I noticed the heatsink on the northbridge
> chip has come off. In the ASUS design this heatsink is held on by 4
> "staples" in the motherboard. 2 of these staples have come out, meaning the
> the heatsink can no longer hold on to the board.

Is it the northbridge or an integrated video chip?

Allistar

Patrick Dunford wrote:

> In article <kyoPc.1421$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Hi all,
>> I have an ASUS P4PE (with a P4 2.4GHz and 1Gb of DDR RAM). When
>> installing
>> an extra 512Mb of RAM recently I noticed the heatsink on the northbridge
>> chip has come off. In the ASUS design this heatsink is held on by 4
>> "staples" in the motherboard. 2 of these staples have come out, meaning
>> the the heatsink can no longer hold on to the board.

> Is it the northbridge or an integrated video chip?

It's the northbridge. I can tell from it's position. This board doesn't have
a built in video chipset.

Allistar.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Allistar wrote:
> I figure if it overheats and dies I could replace it with a nice dual
> AMD-64, if only the bank account would let me.

no wife?

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Richard

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Allistar wrote:
>
>> I figure if it overheats and dies I could replace it with a nice dual
>> AMD-64, if only the bank account would let me.

> no wife?

I dont think you could swap a wife for a dual amd 64 machine just yet...

Ryan Jacobs

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
> > Allistar wrote:
> >
> >> I figure if it overheats and dies I could replace it with a nice dual
> >> AMD-64, if only the bank account would let me.

> > no wife?
> >

> I dont think you could swap a wife for a dual amd 64 machine just yet...

Damn, I'll swap my wife for anything available.........

<the sounds you hear in the background are my balls being surgically removed
by a blunt instrument>

RJ oooooooocccchhh

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Allistar wrote:
>>>I figure if it overheats and dies I could replace it with a nice dual
>>>AMD-64, if only the bank account would let me.

>>no wife?

> "Bank account" was a polite synonym for "wife"

where deposits are made... oh dear, mind in the gutter.
now, where is that "bank account" of mine?

Allistar

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Allistar wrote:
>> I figure if it overheats and dies I could replace it with a nice dual
>> AMD-64, if only the bank account would let me.

> no wife?

"Bank account" was a polite synonym for "wife" And she wouldn't
understand the need to spend that sort of money on more "computer bits".

Allistar.

Northbridge Fans SNOman NZ Computing 2 05-09-2005 04:51 AM
Re: 3-chip really better than 1-chip cams? Bigguy Digital Photography 7 02-05-2005 01:07 PM
Northbridge Fan Al NZ Computing 4 01-27-2004 10:41 PM
Re: Northbridge Heatsink Patrick Computer Support 0 08-14-2003 05:19 PM
Re: Northbridge Heatsink Jj Computer Support 0 08-14-2003 03:26 PM

Advertisments