Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Reducing JPG file size

Reducing JPG file size

KiwiRider

Hi guys,
ok so this is a dumbass question for you fellas who know about these sorts
of things.
I want to know how to make the file size of some photos I have put on my
computer , smaller so they fit on a website. some of them are like 500 meg?
and they need to be 300 or sommit.
Any help would be appreciated. i dont have photo shop or anything. I do have
a wee program called Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE (came with my crappy digital
camera) and it may be there somewhere but dunno.
Remember your talking to a dumbass so no gobble de gook.. just plain
engrish.
Any help appreciaeted.

oh and cause i see people asking this question heaps.. its a P2 400
something something with win xp pro
thanks

Glen

Divine

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 22:34:21 +1200, KiwiRider wrote:

> I want to know how to make the file size of some photos I have put on my
> computer , smaller so they fit on a website. some of them are like 500 meg?
> and they need to be 300 or sommit.
> Any help would be appreciated. i dont have photo shop or anything. I do have
> a wee program called Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE (came with my crappy digital
> camera) and it may be there somewhere but dunno.
> Remember your talking to a dumbass so no gobble de gook.. just plain
> engrish.
> Any help appreciaeted.

File size, generally speaking is irrelevant for images on a website.

What *is* important for images on a website is the pixel dimensions of the
image - the number of dots horizontal and vertical.

On your software there should be the means to resize the pixel dimensions.
Do that, and then save the result with a different name so that you do not
overwrite the original file.

Ultimately, if your are going to do alot of image editing then you should
buy Photoshop. It is very much worth the money.

Divine

--
Micro$oft Knowledge Base: "When you try to shut down your Microsoft Windows
XP-based or Microsoft Windows 2000-based computer, the computer may stop

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 00:19:05 +1200, Divine <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 22:34:21 +1200, KiwiRider wrote:
>
>> I want to know how to make the file size of some photos I have put on my
>> computer , smaller so they fit on a website. some of them are like 500 meg?
>> and they need to be 300 or sommit.
>> Any help would be appreciated. i dont have photo shop or anything. I do have
>> a wee program called Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE (came with my crappy digital
>> camera) and it may be there somewhere but dunno.
>> Remember your talking to a dumbass so no gobble de gook.. just plain
>> engrish.
>> Any help appreciaeted.

>File size, generally speaking is irrelevant for images on a website.
>
>What *is* important for images on a website is the pixel dimensions of the
>image - the number of dots horizontal and vertical.
>
>On your software there should be the means to resize the pixel dimensions.
>Do that, and then save the result with a different name so that you do not
>overwrite the original file.
>
>Ultimately, if your are going to do alot of image editing then you should
>buy Photoshop. It is very much worth the money.
>

>Divine

That is a Way Way Overkill, there are plenty of Utiles & free ones that can
do that..

Plus P.S is a very hard program to work with, The Striped down version
(Elements) is far better but still a over kill.

640 x 480 is the normal Web page size..

GraB

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 22:34:21 +1200, "KiwiRider"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi guys,
>ok so this is a dumbass question for you fellas who know about these sorts
>of things.
>I want to know how to make the file size of some photos I have put on my
>computer , smaller so they fit on a website. some of them are like 500 meg?
>and they need to be 300 or sommit.
>Any help would be appreciated. i dont have photo shop or anything. I do have
>a wee program called Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE (came with my crappy digital
>camera) and it may be there somewhere but dunno.
>Remember your talking to a dumbass so no gobble de gook.. just plain
>engrish.
>Any help appreciaeted.
>
>oh and cause i see people asking this question heaps.. its a P2 400
>something something with win xp pro
>thanks
>
>Glen

I suppose that depends on what you want the photos on the website for.
Are they for downloading so that they can be printed out? Then they
need to be big. My sister sent some monstrous photos from her digital
camera at up to a meg each but I used ACDSee to resize them to 800x533
pixels with the compression at 65 for a file size of around 70Kb.
There was a free version of this programme given away a little while
ago but you don't need anything as complex as Photoshop for a little
job like that. IrfanView would probably do the job just fine. Your
Photo Express programme should handle it too.

Divine

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 00:35:05 +1200, The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:

>>File size, generally speaking is irrelevant for images on a website.
>>
>>What *is* important for images on a website is the pixel dimensions of
>>the image - the number of dots horizontal and vertical.
>>
>>On your software there should be the means to resize the pixel
>>dimensions. Do that, and then save the result with a different name so
>>that you do not overwrite the original file.
>>
>>Ultimately, if your are going to do alot of image editing then you
>>should buy Photoshop. It is very much worth the money.

> That is a Way Way Overkill, there are plenty of Utiles & free ones that
> can do that..

Woger you idiot - did you notice what I said? - "*If* that person is going
to do *alot* of image editing..." Photoshop has a very much deserved
reputation as the very best image editing programme.

> Plus P.S is a very hard program to work with,

Bullshit!

It is very easy to use. You just need to know what you're doing.

> The Striped down version
> (Elements) is far better but still a over kill.

Nonsense!

> 640 x 480 is the normal Web page size..

Bullshit! That is the very Very old monitor size. The present standard is
1024*768. And websites should also be easily usable/readable in the
previous standard screen size of 800*600.

Divine

--
Micro$oft Knowledge Base: "This problem was first corrected in Windows 2000
Service Pack 2."

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi guys,
>ok so this is a dumbass question for you fellas who know about these sorts
>of things.
>I want to know how to make the file size of some photos I have put on my
>computer , smaller so they fit on a website. some of them are like 500 meg?
>and they need to be 300 or sommit.
>Any help would be appreciated. i dont have photo shop or anything. I do have
>a wee program called Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE (came with my crappy digital
>camera) and it may be there somewhere but dunno.
>Remember your talking to a dumbass so no gobble de gook.. just plain
>engrish.
>Any help appreciaeted.
>
>oh and cause i see people asking this question heaps.. its a P2 400
>something something with win xp pro
>thanks
>
>Glen

PS If you need something of the capabilities of Photoshop have a look
at Gimp 2 on this month's NZ PC World mag. Nearly as capable as
Photoshop but free.

KiwiBrian

"The GHOST of WOGER." wrote

> >Ultimately, if your are going to do alot of image editing then you should
> >buy Photoshop. It is very much worth the money.

> That is a Way Way Overkill, there are plenty of Utiles & free ones that

can
> do that..
> Plus P.S is a very hard program to work with, The Striped down version
> (Elements) is far better but still a over kill.

Good advice so far.
But then.........

> 640 x 480 is the normal Web page size..

Oh really...........
Your age and ignorance is showing.

Brian Tozer

Patrick Bold

"KiwiRider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ceigvl$uvs$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Any help would be appreciated. i dont have photo shop or anything. I

do have
> a wee program called Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE (came with my crappy

digital
> camera) and it may be there somewhere but dunno.
> Remember your talking to a dumbass so no gobble de gook.. just plain
> engrish.

I suspect Ulead Photo Express can handle this task very easily. Find it,
install, and look for information in the help file or documention that
refers to resizing or rescaling an image.

Ian Boag

"KiwiRider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi guys,
>ok so this is a dumbass question for you fellas who know about these sorts
>of things.
>I want to know how to make the file size of some photos I have put on my
>computer , smaller so they fit on a website. some of them are like 500 meg?
>and they need to be 300 or sommit.
>Any help would be appreciated. i dont have photo shop or anything. I do have
>a wee program called Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE (came with my crappy digital
>camera) and it may be there somewhere but dunno.
>Remember your talking to a dumbass so no gobble de gook.. just plain
>engrish.
>Any help appreciaeted.
>
>oh and cause i see people asking this question heaps.. its a P2 400
>something something with win xp pro
>thanks
>
>Glen

You have two things to do

1) reduce pixel size to something like 800x600 or less (640 by 480)

The thing that will surprise you is that the reduced pixel size
picture is still about the same size in kB.

2) reduce JPG quality until the image is about 70k or so. This takes a
bit of trial and error, although once you find a setting that works
for you on a few pix you can pretty much just use it.

If you reduce the quality too much the pic goes to **** with
artifacts, colour steps and other horrid things.

I'm sure the Ulead Photo Express can do this .......

Craig Shore

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 22:34:21 +1200, "KiwiRider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi guys,
>ok so this is a dumbass question for you fellas who know about these sorts
>of things.
>I want to know how to make the file size of some photos I have put on my
>computer , smaller so they fit on a website. some of them are like 500 meg?
>and they need to be 300 or sommit.
>Any help would be appreciated. i dont have photo shop or anything. I do have
>a wee program called Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE (came with my crappy digital
>camera) and it may be there somewhere but dunno.
>Remember your talking to a dumbass so no gobble de gook.. just plain
>engrish.

Resize your photo to 1024x769 or 800x600 (depending on how big you want it to
look). The second number may be different in those two dimensions depending on
what aspect the photo was taken in. Make sure you keep the original aspect
ratio (there should be an option in the resizing). If you don't it will stretch
your photo. That may mean you have 1024x600 or something.

Typically when you're saving a jpeg file on the box that lets you choose the
file name and press save it has an options button. Click that and it should
have a slide control for the quality of the jpeg. Move it away from best
quality. I'd suggest trying 3/4 of the way along towards quality.