Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Virus Trojan Horse.. Backdoor

Virus Trojan Horse.. Backdoor

Kevin Cosgrove

My Nortons Anti Virus tells me I have the above virus but cant get rid
of it. Can anyone tell me what I can do
Thanks

Patrick Dunford

In article <PsqOc.7156$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> My Nortons Anti Virus tells me I have the above virus but cant get rid
> of it. Can anyone tell me what I can do

Install Spybot S&D
www.safer-networking.org

Ad-aware
www.lavasoft.de

Dave Taylor

Kevin Cosgrove <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newssqOc.7156$N77.370749
@news.xtra.co.nz:

> My Nortons Anti Virus tells me I have the above virus but cant get rid
> of it. Can anyone tell me what I can do
> Thanks

The first thing to do is get a second opinion. False positives are rare
but do happen. Try one of the online scanners.
http://housecall.antivirus.com/

Next is to visit you AV vendor's web site for removal instrunctions.
http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/vinfodb.html

If it is a backdoor, it will be listening. You should be able to detect
that. I don't really trust AV scans made from a suspected machine. Can
you move the drive to a known clean machine for scanning?
Ciao, Dave

Jerry

Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> My Nortons Anti Virus tells me I have the above virus but cant get rid
> of it. Can anyone tell me what I can do
> Thanks

Not much to go by but seems old hat. SubSeven?
Anyway, try:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/actives..._principal.htm
If not try a free trial trojan hunter.
Then secure your sys.
As always, Google is your friend.
HTH
Jerry

PS Looks like you post with a valid addie too.

Athura

"Kevin Cosgrove" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newssqOc.7156$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My Nortons Anti Virus tells me I have the above virus but cant get rid
> of it. Can anyone tell me what I can do
> Thanks

Where does NAV say the virus is?
If you have Windows ME or XP and its in the restore folder NAV wont be able
to remove it so you need to disable system restore and reboot to purge the
restore folder.