Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Motherboards question

Motherboards question

Evil Bastard

Hi,

Does anyone know if anyone makes a Socket A (AMD Athlon XP) motherboard
in an AT or Baby AT form factor?

If so, do you know of any retailer in Auckland who might sell such a beast?

Thanks in advance
EB

~misfit~

Evil Bastard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if anyone makes a Socket A (AMD Athlon XP)
> motherboard
> in an AT or Baby AT form factor?
>
> If so, do you know of any retailer in Auckland who might sell such a
> beast?

I don't know for sure but I seriously doubt it Bastard. <g>
--
~misfit~

Bar

Evil Bastard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if anyone makes a Socket A (AMD Athlon XP) motherboard
> in an AT or Baby AT form factor?

http://www.jetway.ru/product/amd/849bs/849bs.htm

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Evil Bastard wrote:
> Does anyone know if anyone makes a Socket A (AMD Athlon XP) motherboard
> in an AT or Baby AT form factor?

I think that you'ld be pushit the proverbial up hill to find one, I dont
think that there was ever a chipset designed for it(AT).

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

~misfit~

Bar wrote:
> Evil Bastard wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone know if anyone makes a Socket A (AMD Athlon XP)
>> motherboard in an AT or Baby AT form factor?

> http://www.jetway.ru/product/amd/849bs/849bs.htm

Ye Gods! Who would've thought? I wonder if it's still avaiable? (Not that I
want one).
--
~misfit~

Evil Bastard

~misfit~ wrote:
>>>Does anyone know if anyone makes a Socket A (AMD Athlon XP)
>>>motherboard in an AT or Baby AT form factor?

>>http://www.jetway.ru/product/amd/849bs/849bs.htm

> Ye Gods! Who would've thought? I wonder if it's still avaiable? (Not that I
> want one).

The value of such a beast is that it allows recycling of those old AT
cases; nice because they're typically smaller than ATX.

--
Cheers
EB

~misfit~

Evil Bastard wrote:

>>> http://www.jetway.ru/product/amd/849bs/849bs.htm

>> Ye Gods! Who would've thought? I wonder if it's still avaiable? (Not
>> that I want one).

> The value of such a beast is that it allows recycling of those old AT
> cases; nice because they're typically smaller than ATX.

For sure, I see the value in it. I have several AT cases, some that are very
well-made and I have a bunch of AT PSU's. However I wonder if the AT PSU's I
have would run a modern system. I have a humongous AT Tower case with a
really nice, but massive, (twice the size of a standard) PSU that would do
the job. However, that isn't small is it?

Also, most AT cases, especially the smaller ones, weren't designed to handle
the large amount of heat produced by a modern system.
--
~misfit~

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)se says...

> >>http://www.jetway.ru/product/amd/849bs/849bs.htm

> > Ye Gods! Who would've thought? I wonder if it's still avaiable? (Not that I
> > want one).

> The value of such a beast is that it allows recycling of those old AT
> cases; nice because they're typically smaller than ATX.

Unless you hold an electrical certification you cannot legally replace
the power supply in an AT case unless it is for your personal use.

That's one of many reasons to dump them.

There are plenty of smallish ATX cases around.

Patrick Dunford

In article <MGhOc.6941$(E-Mail Removed)>, misfit61nz@yahoo-
mung.co.nz says...
> Evil Bastard wrote:

> >> Ye Gods! Who would've thought? I wonder if it's still avaiable? (Not
> >> that I want one).

> > The value of such a beast is that it allows recycling of those old AT
> > cases; nice because they're typically smaller than ATX.

> For sure, I see the value in it. I have several AT cases, some that are very
> well-made and I have a bunch of AT PSU's. However I wonder if the AT PSU's I
> have would run a modern system. I have a humongous AT Tower case with a
> really nice, but massive, (twice the size of a standard) PSU that would do
> the job. However, that isn't small is it?
>
> Also, most AT cases, especially the smaller ones, weren't designed to handle
> the large amount of heat produced by a modern system.

As I recall, a change in cooling arrangements was one of the changes made
in the ATX design. I don't recall the exact details.

Here is my list of reasons to dump AT cases:
1. Power supply cannot be replaced except by a registered electrician
(subject to the limited grounds of being able to do electrical repairs on
your own gear)
2. Have to remove drive bays to get at the motherboard
3. Connectors that have to be bolted onto the case or put into slots and
connected to the M/B with ribbon cables
4. HDD / FDD connectors in inconvenient places
5. Have to remove the motherboard from the case to get the SIMMs out of
their slots.
6. Others.... There were a whole lot of reasons why the ATXs were brought
in. One reason why a typical ATX case is bigger is that the motherboard
is not partly covered by drive bays. The only time I have to take out a
drive bay in my ATX case is to install or remove a drive.