Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Decent laptop?

Decent laptop?

John B

My wife has a laptop, Toshiba I think. Anyway it has a much faster cpu than my
900Tbird. I think hers is a 1.6 or 1.8 celeron or something like that. 256MB
ram. Talk about slow though.

Why is my pc so much faster than her laptop?

And can anyone recommend a decent laptop with plenty of grunt? Up to $3,000.

--
John B

EMB

John B wrote:

> My wife has a laptop, Toshiba I think. Anyway it has a much faster cpu than my
> 900Tbird. I think hers is a 1.6 or 1.8 celeron or something like that. 256MB
> ram. Talk about slow though.
>
> Why is my pc so much faster than her laptop?
>
> And can anyone recommend a decent laptop with plenty of grunt? Up to $3,000.

Anything based around the Pentium-M CPU and Centrino chipset should have
plenty of grunt - as always the higher the clock speed the emptier the
wallet. My wife's IBM Thinkpad is great (fast, reliable and very good
battery life) - a quick pricespy should find you a Thinkpad R51 with
most of the extras within your budget.

--
EMB
change two to number to reply

Bar

John B wrote:

> My wife has a laptop, Toshiba I think. Anyway it has a much faster cpu than my
> 900Tbird. I think hers is a 1.6 or 1.8 celeron or something like that. 256MB
> ram. Talk about slow though.
>
> Why is my pc so much faster than her laptop?

Because it is. A 2.8GHz Celeron is about as fast as a 1.5GHz Athlon. So a 1.6GHz
Celeron isn't going to compare much better.
And her laptop probably has SDR ram. Intel CPUs hate SDR ram and run slowly in
protest.

Laptops often have slow hard drives. The hard drive is where most of the boot up
and program launch speed come from.

> And can anyone recommend a decent laptop with plenty of grunt? Up to $3,000.

anything without a Celeron.

> --
> John B

~misfit~

EMB wrote:
> John B wrote:
>
>> My wife has a laptop, Toshiba I think. Anyway it has a much faster
>> cpu than my 900Tbird. I think hers is a 1.6 or 1.8 celeron or
>> something like that. 256MB ram. Talk about slow though.
>>
>> Why is my pc so much faster than her laptop?
>>
>> And can anyone recommend a decent laptop with plenty of grunt? Up to
>> $3,000.

> Anything based around the Pentium-M CPU

Excellent advice. That's Pentium M, not Pentium 4-M. (Just thought I'd point
that out to save confusion).
--
~misfit~

Dodger

"John B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3pVNc.890$(E-Mail Removed)...
> And can anyone recommend a decent laptop with plenty of grunt? Up to

$3,000.

A mate pointed this one out to me last night,
not a bad system, but I dont know how the Asus laptops rank when it comes
to support/reliability.

John

"Dodger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IP_Nc.948$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "John B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3pVNc.890$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > And can anyone recommend a decent laptop with plenty of grunt? Up to

> $3,000.
> >

> A mate pointed this one out to me last night,
> not a bad system, but I dont know how the Asus laptops rank when it

comes
> to support/reliability.
>
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=232099

I thought ASUS had a two year warranty, although ascent only shows that it
has one. I think ASUS are a relatively good brand.

Nik Coughin

John wrote:
> "Dodger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:IP_Nc.948$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "John B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:3pVNc.890$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> And can anyone recommend a decent laptop with plenty of grunt? Up
>>> to $3,000.
>>>

>> A mate pointed this one out to me last night,
>> not a bad system, but I dont know how the Asus laptops rank when
>> it comes to support/reliability.
>>
>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=232099
>>

> I thought ASUS had a two year warranty, although ascent only shows
> that it has one. I think ASUS are a relatively good brand.

I have an Asus laptop that I bought about six months ago. Very happy with
it.

Darren

"Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
news:Yw%Nc.6562$(E-Mail Removed)...
> John wrote:
> > "Dodger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > message news:IP_Nc.948$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> "John B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:3pVNc.890$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>>

> >> A mate pointed this one out to me last night,
> >> not a bad system, but I dont know how the Asus laptops rank when
> >> it comes to support/reliability.
> >>
> >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=232099
> >>

> > I thought ASUS had a two year warranty, although ascent only shows
> > that it has one. I think ASUS are a relatively good brand.

> I have an Asus laptop that I bought about six months ago. Very happy with
> it.

Got my ASUS about 8 months ago from Dick Smith, the speakers or sound card
is stuffed, I have no idea why, I hardly play music or play movies, and when
I do I dont have it up loud.
Some times when a program starts up I get a loud high pitched beep (maybe
that did it?), I dont know why it does it but I have installed windows twice
since I have had it but the beep is still there.

I have a 3year warranty so I will take it in to get fixed when I get around
to it.

Darren

Tim

Asus:

I've sold several and none have required any service or had any faults.
They are made as well as any other.
Don't forget that Asus makes motherboards for companies like HP and Intel as
well (over 30 million a year).

I would not hesitate, but make sure you get the full manufacturers
warrantee, some retailers may down sell the warrantee.

- Tim

"Darren" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Gk1Oc.6601$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
> news:Yw%Nc.6562$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> John wrote:
>> > "Dodger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> > message news:IP_Nc.948$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > I thought ASUS had a two year warranty, although ascent only shows
>> > that it has one. I think ASUS are a relatively good brand.

>> I have an Asus laptop that I bought about six months ago. Very happy
>> with
>> it.

> Got my ASUS about 8 months ago from Dick Smith, the speakers or sound card
> is stuffed, I have no idea why, I hardly play music or play movies, and
> when
> I do I dont have it up loud.
> Some times when a program starts up I get a loud high pitched beep (maybe
> that did it?), I dont know why it does it but I have installed windows
> twice
> since I have had it but the beep is still there.
>
> I have a 3year warranty so I will take it in to get fixed when I get
> around
> to it.
>
> Darren

Patrick Dunford

In article <ceahg7$qbo$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Asus:
>
> I've sold several and none have required any service or had any faults.
> They are made as well as any other.
> Don't forget that Asus makes motherboards for companies like HP and Intel as
> well (over 30 million a year).
>
> I would not hesitate, but make sure you get the full manufacturers
> warrantee, some retailers may down sell the warrantee.

They make very good cd writers as well, I just bought one.