Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Scheduling Software

Scheduling Software

John

Anyone know of any simple piece of software that will allow the copying of a
folder, to another location, at a specified time interval.
I am wanting to copy one of my folders at the end of every day, to another
harddrive on my computer, and overwrite the old data . This will act as a
simple backup solution.

I have found quite a lot of software, but they have far too many features
and don't do exactly what I want. I just want something very simple and
unbloated, and it doesn't need to compress the data.

Gurble

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:48:02 +1200, "John" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Anyone know of any simple piece of software that will allow the copying of a
>folder, to another location, at a specified time interval.
>I am wanting to copy one of my folders at the end of every day, to another
>harddrive on my computer, and overwrite the old data . This will act as a
>simple backup solution.
>
>I have found quite a lot of software, but they have far too many features
>and don't do exactly what I want. I just want something very simple and
>unbloated, and it doesn't need to compress the data.

XCopy and Windows Task Scheduler.

However, you're better to not override each time - have a two-way
thing, where first off, the daily gets copied over the two-day-old,
then the current overrides the daily.

The reason is that, due to good ole' Murphy, anything that could go
wrong which would require restoring from a backup will go wrong during
creation of the backup, thereby rendering both it and your system
useless.

cowboyz

John wrote:
> Anyone know of any simple piece of software that will allow the
> copying of a folder, to another location, at a specified time
> interval.
> I am wanting to copy one of my folders at the end of every day, to
> another harddrive on my computer, and overwrite the old data . This
> will act as a simple backup solution.
>
> I have found quite a lot of software, but they have far too many
> features and don't do exactly what I want. I just want something very
> simple and unbloated, and it doesn't need to compress the data.

For a bit of a crude fix (but no cost) you could just write a bat file like
this

@echo
xcopy /w /e /f /y {source}*.* {destination}
echo done

Put this bat file into windows scheduler and should be all good. I would
exclude the /w and then it will do it without you there to press a key.

If you want to know all the ins and outs of xcopy then goto a command prompt
and type xcopy /? and it will give you a list.

Harry

John wrote:

> Anyone know of any simple piece of software that will allow the copying of
> a folder, to another location, at a specified time interval.
> I am wanting to copy one of my folders at the end of every day, to another
> harddrive on my computer, and overwrite the old data . This will act as a
> simple backup solution.
>
> I have found quite a lot of software, but they have far too many features
> and don't do exactly what I want. I just want something very simple and
> unbloated, and it doesn't need to compress the data.

You are talking about Windows? Or Mac? Or Unix/Linux?

On Unix/Linux you have crontabs so it is a no-brainer.
On Windows you have Task Scheduler so that is a no-brainer.
Not sure about Mac though.

Nik Coughin

Harry wrote:
> John wrote:
>
>> Anyone know of any simple piece of software that will allow the
>> copying of a folder, to another location, at a specified time
>> interval.
>> I am wanting to copy one of my folders at the end of every day, to
>> another harddrive on my computer, and overwrite the old data . This
>> will act as a simple backup solution.
>>
>> I have found quite a lot of software, but they have far too many
>> features and don't do exactly what I want. I just want something
>> very simple and unbloated, and it doesn't need to compress the data.

> You are talking about Windows? Or Mac? Or Unix/Linux?
>
> On Unix/Linux you have crontabs so it is a no-brainer.
> On Windows you have Task Scheduler so that is a no-brainer.
> Not sure about Mac though.

You have crontabs on Mac too.

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2000/12/26.5.shtml

Nikki

John wrote:
> Anyone know of any simple piece of software that will allow the copying of a
> folder, to another location, at a specified time interval.
> I am wanting to copy one of my folders at the end of every day, to another
> harddrive on my computer, and overwrite the old data . This will act as a
> simple backup solution.
>
> I have found quite a lot of software, but they have far too many features
> and don't do exactly what I want. I just want something very simple and
> unbloated, and it doesn't need to compress the data.

I use Second Copy 2000. Has been useful for a clients site also for
backups. No problems.

Gavin

Allistar

John wrote:

> Anyone know of any simple piece of software that will allow the copying of
> a folder, to another location, at a specified time interval.
> I am wanting to copy one of my folders at the end of every day, to another
> harddrive on my computer, and overwrite the old data . This will act as a
> simple backup solution.
>
> I have found quite a lot of software, but they have far too many features
> and don't do exactly what I want. I just want something very simple and
> unbloated, and it doesn't need to compress the data.

Use at or cron if you're using Linux (you didn't mention what OS you were
using, and my crystal ball is broken today). If you are using Windows you
could use the Task Scheduler to schedule a batch file to do the copying.

Allistar.

In article <ZiHNc.6152$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> John wrote:
>
> > Anyone know of any simple piece of software that will allow the copying of
> > a folder, to another location, at a specified time interval.
> > I am wanting to copy one of my folders at the end of every day, to another
> > harddrive on my computer, and overwrite the old data . This will act as a
> > simple backup solution.
> >
> > I have found quite a lot of software, but they have far too many features
> > and don't do exactly what I want. I just want something very simple and
> > unbloated, and it doesn't need to compress the data.

> You are talking about Windows? Or Mac? Or Unix/Linux?
>
> On Unix/Linux you have crontabs so it is a no-brainer.
> On Windows you have Task Scheduler so that is a no-brainer.
> Not sure about Mac though.

On Mac OS 9 (still many out there) I've found T-Minus Ten good

http://home.austin.rr.com/mk/tmt/tmt.html

OS X then cron jobs are the way to go. A nice gui app to do it is
Cronnix:

http://www.koch-schmidt.de/cronnix/

With windows you could use RSync I guess (and under linux/unix/mac os x
too) to handle the synching of data. I don't know if it rates as easy
though..

http://www.gaztronics.net/rsync.php

DaveR

Use Karen's Replicator. Should do what you want easily.
Freeware as well which makes it even better.
Check it out
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

Dave

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone know of any simple piece of software that will allow the copying of

> folder, to another location, at a specified time interval.
> I am wanting to copy one of my folders at the end of every day, to another
> harddrive on my computer, and overwrite the old data . This will act as a
> simple backup solution.
>
> I have found quite a lot of software, but they have far too many features
> and don't do exactly what I want. I just want something very simple and
> unbloated, and it doesn't need to compress the data.

bambam

"DaveR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:t2KNc.824
$(E-Mail Removed):

> Use Karen's Replicator. Should do what you want easily.
> Freeware as well which makes it even better.
> Check it out
> http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

I second this one, great little program.

--
Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7 of your life