Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Checking Xtra email from a Vodafone phone

Checking Xtra email from a Vodafone phone

bottom

Considering many people have Xtra email.... and a lot of
people have Vodafone phones..you can't easily and practically use the
native ability of Vodafone phones to check Xtra Pop email.
This really hacks me off and I'm sure it hacks a lot of
other people off. Considering all the hyped advertising on
the TV at the moment.. They don't say (excluding Xtra users
do they !!!)

The only options I've found so far.. are

(1) Setup a dialup account on the Vodafone phone
rather than access via GPRS.. But this is more expensive
because you're paying a call rate.

(2) Use the Web Browser on the phone to goto
xtramail.co.nz and check that way.. but thats awful.

(3) Setup an automatic forward rule in the xtra account
settings to forward to a Vodafone.co.nz dummy account and
have the phone pickup via GPRS from there.
But then you loose the Spam and Virus checking
of Xtra.. so I get 100 more messages per day.. which costs
money downloading and deleting the headers on the phone.

Considering I want to keep my Xtra email accounts (because they
are business related and would be too hard to change).. and
want to keep my expensive Vodafone phone.. what other option does anyone
know about? (Besides the impossible of getting Telecom to
open access to their POP accounts from other ISP's)

The Other Guy

bottom wrote:
>They don't say (excluding Xtra users do they !!!)

Nor should they. If Telecom/Xtra decide to restrict access, it isn't
anything to do with Vodafone.

Other options...

Set up your own server on an Xtra connection (Using someone elses system
if necessary), and have popfetch (or equivalent) fetch the content from
your Xtra account to a local account. This preserves spam filtering, and
even better permits all your mail to be accessed from one location.

Alternatively, again using an Xtra account, you could set up a
redirection server like rinetd (http://www.boutell.com/rinetd/) to
connect directly to the Xtra POP server when you connect to it.

The Other Guy

Dave - Dave.net.nz

bottom wrote:
> Considering I want to keep my Xtra email accounts (because they
> are business related and would be too hard to change).. and
> want to keep my expensive Vodafone phone.. what other option does anyone
> know about? (Besides the impossible of getting Telecom to
> open access to their POP accounts from other ISP's)

Go Telecom for your Cell, but I guess you don't want to hear that.

The Other Guy

Chris wrote:
> First, it's not Vodaphone that blocks Xtra, it's the other way round.
>
> To get around this problem you could:
>
> 1. Set up a free Orcon account (they let you use this for business)
> 2. FWD xtra email to your new Orcon account (you can set that up on the
> Xtra web interface) 3. Enjoy the use of the Orcon SPAM and Virus
> checking (Orcon allow you to change the settings on both) 4. You can POP
> Orcon from Vodaphone, use the Vodaphone SMTP

I would avoid forwarding if at all possible. If the destination server
(Orcon) were to implement software supporting SPF (Sender Policy
Framework), and the forwarding server (Xtra) were not to rewrite the
addresses as SPF requires, you could end up having legitimate e-mails
incorrectly deleted.

Where possible, something like popfetch is a better option as it avoids
SPF processing. It also removes the possibility of mail being lost in
transit or not making it out of Xtras spool for long periods of time.
Unfortunately Orcon doesn't support this configuration.

The Other Guy

Chris

"bottom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:nVqNc.5813$(E-Mail Removed):

> Considering many people have Xtra email.... and a lot of
> people have Vodafone phones..you can't easily and practically use the
> native ability of Vodafone phones to check Xtra Pop email.
> This really hacks me off and I'm sure it hacks a lot of
> other people off. Considering all the hyped advertising on
> the TV at the moment.. They don't say (excluding Xtra users
> do they !!!)
>
> The only options I've found so far.. are
>
> (1) Setup a dialup account on the Vodafone phone
> rather than access via GPRS.. But this is more expensive
> because you're paying a call rate.
>
> (2) Use the Web Browser on the phone to goto
> xtramail.co.nz and check that way.. but thats awful.
>
> (3) Setup an automatic forward rule in the xtra account
> settings to forward to a Vodafone.co.nz dummy account and
> have the phone pickup via GPRS from there.
> But then you loose the Spam and Virus checking
> of Xtra.. so I get 100 more messages per day.. which costs
> money downloading and deleting the headers on the phone.
>
> Considering I want to keep my Xtra email accounts (because they
> are business related and would be too hard to change).. and
> want to keep my expensive Vodafone phone.. what other option does
> anyone know about? (Besides the impossible of getting Telecom to
> open access to their POP accounts from other ISP's)

First, it's not Vodaphone that blocks Xtra, it's the other way round.

To get around this problem you could:

1. Set up a free Orcon account (they let you use this for business)
2. FWD xtra email to your new Orcon account (you can set that up on the
Xtra web interface) 3. Enjoy the use of the Orcon SPAM and Virus
checking (Orcon allow you to change the settings on both) 4. You can POP
Orcon from Vodaphone, use the Vodaphone SMTP

EMB

The Other Guy wrote:

> I would avoid forwarding if at all possible. If the destination server
> (Orcon) were to implement software supporting SPF (Sender Policy
> Framework), and the forwarding server (Xtra) were not to rewrite the
> addresses as SPF requires, you could end up having legitimate e-mails
> incorrectly deleted.

IIRC Xtra's forwarding settings allow a copy to remian on their server
so any mail that is lost in the forwarding process is a nuisance rather
than a disaster.

--
EMB
change two to number to reply

Chris

EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:ce6hjn$3ne$(E-Mail Removed):

> The Other Guy wrote:
>

>> I would avoid forwarding if at all possible. If the destination server
>> (Orcon) were to implement software supporting SPF (Sender Policy
>> Framework), and the forwarding server (Xtra) were not to rewrite the
>> addresses as SPF requires, you could end up having legitimate e-mails
>> incorrectly deleted.

> IIRC Xtra's forwarding settings allow a copy to remian on their server
> so any mail that is lost in the forwarding process is a nuisance rather
> than a disaster.

It does, I looked yesterday

Alastair

In <nVqNc.5813$(E-Mail Removed)> bottom wrote:

> Considering I want to keep my Xtra email accounts (because they
> are business related and would be too hard to change).. and
> want to keep my expensive Vodafone phone.. what other option does
> anyone know about? (Besides the impossible of getting Telecom to open
> access to their POP accounts from other ISP's)

Do Xtra really block access to their POP server from other ISPs? Someone
has mentioned this to me before, but I didn't believe them at the time.
Have any other ISPs in New Zealand adopted this practise? Is there any
reasonable justification for it?

--
Regards, Alastair.
http://www.alastair.net.nz

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Alastair wrote:
> Do Xtra really block access to their POP server from other ISPs?

yes

> Someone
> has mentioned this to me before, but I didn't believe them at the time.
> Have any other ISPs in New Zealand adopted this practise?

no

> Is there any
> reasonable justification for it?

advertising revenue from xtramail maybe?

Patrick Dunford

says...
> In <nVqNc.5813$(E-Mail Removed)> bottom wrote:
>
> > Considering I want to keep my Xtra email accounts (because they
> > are business related and would be too hard to change).. and
> > want to keep my expensive Vodafone phone.. what other option does
> > anyone know about? (Besides the impossible of getting Telecom to open
> > access to their POP accounts from other ISP's)

> Do Xtra really block access to their POP server from other ISPs? Someone
> has mentioned this to me before, but I didn't believe them at the time.
> Have any other ISPs in New Zealand adopted this practise? Is there any
> reasonable justification for it?

Yes there is. If you access their POP server from another ISP and you are
signed up on hourly charges, they don't get any money from you for the
service.