Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Seagate Warranties Jump to Five Years

Seagate Warranties Jump to Five Years

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, colinco <(E-Mail Removed)> was seen to type:
>In article Mutlley says...
>> I wonder if the price will clime as well.
>>
>> But nice to see the extension ..
>>
>> http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/...072604X,00.asp
>>
>> "After compressing hard drive warranties to just a year, Seagate is
>> reversing the trend, announcing a heady five-year warranty for its
>> internal desktop and notebook hard drives."
>>

>Marketing ploy. Not a technical breakthrough that makes the drive any
>better.

Usually it would be fair to say that they now have data that says the
drives will last at least 5 years. Giving a 5 year warranty therefore
costs them nothing ... but, as you say, sounds good. That said, if
they have data like that, it's no bad thing

Of course, they also rely on a certain number not remembering there is
a 5 year warranty when it breaks ... and not 'registering' or keeping
the card too.

Bruce

In short, what people think they want is news, but what they really crave
is olds.
Lord Vetinari, ¨The Truth¨ Terry Pratchet

Caution => followups may have been changed to relevant groups
(if there were any)

Mutlley

I wonder if the price will clime as well.

But nice to see the extension ..

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/...072604X,00.asp

"After compressing hard drive warranties to just a year, Seagate is
reversing the trend, announcing a heady five-year warranty for its
internal desktop and notebook hard drives."

colinco

In article Mutlley says...
> I wonder if the price will clime as well.
>
> But nice to see the extension ..
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/...072604X,00.asp
>
> "After compressing hard drive warranties to just a year, Seagate is
> reversing the trend, announcing a heady five-year warranty for its
> internal desktop and notebook hard drives."

Marketing ploy. Not a technical breakthrough that makes the drive any
better.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, colinco <(E-Mail Removed)> was seen to type:
>In article Bruce Sinclair says...
>> Usually it would be fair to say that they now have data that says the
>> drives will last at least 5 years. Giving a 5 year warranty therefore
>> costs them nothing ... but, as you say, sounds good. That said, if
>> they have data like that, it's no bad thing
>>
>> Of course, they also rely on a certain number not remembering there is
>> a 5 year warranty when it breaks ... and not 'registering' or keeping
>> the card too.
>>

>Seagate were one of the first to downgrade the warranty period to 1 year
>only a short time ago. The vast majority of their sales are to OEM
>system builders where the 5 Yr won't apply.

That might do it too

Bruce

In short, what people think they want is news, but what they really crave
is olds.
Lord Vetinari, ¨The Truth¨ Terry Pratchet

Caution => followups may have been changed to relevant groups
(if there were any)

colinco

In article Bruce Sinclair says...
> Usually it would be fair to say that they now have data that says the
> drives will last at least 5 years. Giving a 5 year warranty therefore
> costs them nothing ... but, as you say, sounds good. That said, if
> they have data like that, it's no bad thing
>
> Of course, they also rely on a certain number not remembering there is
> a 5 year warranty when it breaks ... and not 'registering' or keeping
> the card too.

Seagate were one of the first to downgrade the warranty period to 1 year
only a short time ago. The vast majority of their sales are to OEM
system builders where the 5 Yr won't apply.

I wonder if the drives sold in NZ are through an approved Seagate retail
channel.

Richard

Bruce Sinclair wrote:

> Usually it would be fair to say that they now have data that says the
> drives will last at least 5 years. Giving a 5 year warranty therefore
> costs them nothing ... but, as you say, sounds good. That said, if
> they have data like that, it's no bad thing
>
> Of course, they also rely on a certain number not remembering there is
> a 5 year warranty when it breaks ... and not 'registering' or keeping
> the card too.

I have never needed a card or anything. When seatools online reports it as
defective, it fills the RMA form out with all it can, I add my details, it asks
me to print a page and courier it with the drive to there freight agent at the
airport, and a few days later a reconditioned drive arrives.

thing

Mutlley wrote:
> I wonder if the price will clime as well.
>
> But nice to see the extension ..
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/...072604X,00.asp
>
> "After compressing hard drive warranties to just a year, Seagate is
> reversing the trend, announcing a heady five-year warranty for its
> internal desktop and notebook hard drives."

I think they saw they were loosing a PR battle with people buying hds
with longer warranties. I do it if a drive has one year and a second is
$5 more for 2 or $15 for 3 years then I get the $15 more expensive one.

regards

Thing

Roger Johnstone

In <4105f6a4$(E-Mail Removed)> Richard wrote:
> Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>
>> Usually it would be fair to say that they now have data that says the
>> drives will last at least 5 years. Giving a 5 year warranty therefore
>> costs them nothing ... but, as you say, sounds good. That said, if
>> they have data like that, it's no bad thing
>>
>> Of course, they also rely on a certain number not remembering there
>> is a 5 year warranty when it breaks ... and not 'registering' or
>> keeping the card too.

> I have never needed a card or anything. When seatools online reports
> it as defective, it fills the RMA form out with all it can, I add my
> details, it asks me to print a page and courier it with the drive to
> there freight agent at the airport, and a few days later a
> reconditioned drive arrives.

There's an interesting concept: a reconditioned hard drive. I wonder if
they open them up and give the platter a good polishing? ;o)

http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

EMB

Roger Johnstone wrote:

> There's an interesting concept: a reconditioned hard drive. I wonder if
> they open them up and give the platter a good polishing? ;o)

Like the bad of days of exposed disk platters that needed a good wipe
with IPA to get the detritus off them after a couple of years (or
otherwise they destroyed the heads).

--
EMB
change two to number to reply

Patrick Bold

"Roger Johnstone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> There's an interesting concept: a reconditioned hard drive. I wonder

if
> they open them up and give the platter a good polishing? ;o)

If the platters are good but the electronics are shot, they can
"recondition" the drive by simply replacing the circuit board.
Otherwise, they send you a brand new drive.