Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Jetstarter to get the chop

Jetstarter to get the chop

texan.usenet@texasremovethisbit.usa.com

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:33:57 +1200, "Ryan Jacobs"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Mike_P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:4104ba06$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> High Speed ???
>>

>Yeah, Teresa was "high" on "speed" when she approved the blatant crippling
>of kiwis internet access known as Jetstopper.
>
>RJ out.

Does anyone know if 'Teresa' attended University in Chino, California
circa 1993...

Cath

Pudding Pimp

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Pudding Pimp wrote:
>
>> There's no way I'm going to be able to continue development work with
>> a 1 Gig cap.

> whats wrong with the 256k offerings?

low megabyte cap. my cvs updates from local (NZ) peers and mirrors eat
almost 4gigs a week, and then there's the package updates (3gig a week)
and email (100 meg a week at least). highest offering from telecon is
10gig at over a $80 a month including local traffic. oh yeah and that's
only if you use Xtra another isp is another 30 bucks a month.
> besides, the bitstream access will be available to ISPs by then...
>
> Well, I heard november... but surely Telecom wouldn't do that, meaning
> that all customers would have to switch to their 256k offering.

bitstream access is the wrong term for what they're offering, They only
allow ISP's access to the slow 256/128 and impose the same caps, only
difference is who you pay the bill to.

On the other hand if I didn't live in a valley I could get wired country
2meg/s sync via ihug with a 20gig cap for $120 p/m same as telecon's
pitiful offering.

Later,

Dave

EMB

Pudding Pimp wrote:

> low megabyte cap. my cvs updates from local (NZ) peers and mirrors eat
> almost 4gigs a week, and then there's the package updates (3gig a week)
> and email (100 meg a week at least). highest offering from telecon is
> 10gig at over a $80 a month including local traffic. oh yeah and that's
> only if you use Xtra another isp is another 30 bucks a month.

Really! Why am I paying ihug/telescum a total of just under $70 for
10GB 256/128k adsl then?

> bitstream access is the wrong term for what they're offering, They only
> allow ISP's access to the slow 256/128 and impose the same caps, only
> difference is who you pay the bill to.

Wait and see - I'm not defending telescum but the last talks I had with
ISP management implied that they will have *much* more freedom as to
what they sell. Which ISP gets what will be a different story depending
on what they can negotiate - Orcon have had a wholesaling agreement
signed for the last couple of months and should be first out with "an
interesting new offering".

> On the other hand if I didn't live in a valley I could get wired country
> 2meg/s sync via ihug with a 20gig cap for $120 p/m same as telecon's
> pitiful offering.

Agreed - I live in the central suburbs of Auckland and can't get any of
the wireless options except Woosh (or someone's unsecured 802.11g
wireless with a full rate adsl connection).

--
EMB
change two to number to reply

Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

Hi everybody - there is no need to panic about the withdrawl of
JetStart as DSL wholesale is nearly here.

Orcon has a special deal for customers that move to us before the
launch of our new UBS (Unbundled Bitstream Service) Product

After Orcon was the first to sign a wholesale agreement with Telecom a
few months ago, details of our first wholesale DSL plan have now been
released.

The Orcon FastADSL Residential Flatrate deal is:
* 256K download, 128K upload
* No data caps or limits (ie, it's flatrate, and it won't slow down
after 10GB)
* Static IP address
* No Telecom JetStream fees, service provided solely by Orcon
* No setup fees
* $49.95 per month (for existing Orcon JetStream/JetStart customers
only)

It will be avaliable sometime in September, a firm date will come
soon.
No more Telecom fees (apart from your phoneline), so all you pay is
$49.95 all up including GST.

To get your DSL at this price you need to be an Orcon
Jetstream/Jetstart customer BEFORE the plan is released (sometime in
September). If you sign up now you'll also go into the draw to win one
of 5 Silver Playstation 2 prize packs.

For more info see: http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/jet...ers/bitstream/

EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<ce54b5$a2o$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Pudding Pimp wrote:
>
> > low megabyte cap. my cvs updates from local (NZ) peers and mirrors eat
> > almost 4gigs a week, and then there's the package updates (3gig a week)
> > and email (100 meg a week at least). highest offering from telecon is
> > 10gig at over a $80 a month including local traffic. oh yeah and that's
> > only if you use Xtra another isp is another 30 bucks a month.

> Really! Why am I paying ihug/telescum a total of just under $70 for
> 10GB 256/128k adsl then?
>
> > bitstream access is the wrong term for what they're offering, They only
> > allow ISP's access to the slow 256/128 and impose the same caps, only
> > difference is who you pay the bill to.

> Wait and see - I'm not defending telescum but the last talks I had with
> ISP management implied that they will have *much* more freedom as to
> what they sell. Which ISP gets what will be a different story depending
> on what they can negotiate - Orcon have had a wholesaling agreement
> signed for the last couple of months and should be first out with "an
> interesting new offering".
> >
> > On the other hand if I didn't live in a valley I could get wired country
> > 2meg/s sync via ihug with a 20gig cap for $120 p/m same as telecon's
> > pitiful offering.

> Agreed - I live in the central suburbs of Auckland and can't get any of
> the wireless options except Woosh (or someone's unsecured 802.11g
> wireless with a full rate adsl connection).

~misfit~

Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:
> Hi everybody - there is no need to panic about the withdrawl of
> JetStart as DSL wholesale is nearly here.
>
> Orcon has a special deal for customers that move to us before the
> launch of our new UBS (Unbundled Bitstream Service) Product
>
> After Orcon was the first to sign a wholesale agreement with Telecom a
> few months ago, details of our first wholesale DSL plan have now been
> released.
>
> The Orcon FastADSL Residential Flatrate deal is:
> * 256K download, 128K upload
> * No data caps or limits (ie, it's flatrate, and it won't slow down
> after 10GB)
> * Static IP address
> * No Telecom JetStream fees, service provided solely by Orcon
> * No setup fees
> * $49.95 per month (for existing Orcon JetStream/JetStart customers
> only)
>
> It will be avaliable sometime in September, a firm date will come
> soon.
> No more Telecom fees (apart from your phoneline), so all you pay is
> $49.95 all up including GST.
>
> To get your DSL at this price you need to be an Orcon
> Jetstream/Jetstart customer BEFORE the plan is released (sometime in
> September). If you sign up now you'll also go into the draw to win one
> of 5 Silver Playstation 2 prize packs.
>
> For more info see:
> http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/jet...ers/bitstream/

Thanks Seeby, I'll study the budget over the next few days. That looks good.
--
~misfit~

Gavin Stephens

Certainly does. However, with good competition it will drive prices of
others down.
Doesn't everybody in the country go through the Southern Cross anyway?
Something Telecom are a large stake holder in. I would be interested to know
what the national or international bandwidth to user ratio is regardless of
connection speed out of Orcon as apposed to Telecom.

Cheers,
Gavin.

news:yhCNc.5987$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:
> > Hi everybody - there is no need to panic about the withdrawl of
> > JetStart as DSL wholesale is nearly here.
> >
> > Orcon has a special deal for customers that move to us before the
> > launch of our new UBS (Unbundled Bitstream Service) Product
> >
> > After Orcon was the first to sign a wholesale agreement with Telecom a
> > few months ago, details of our first wholesale DSL plan have now been
> > released.
> >
> > The Orcon FastADSL Residential Flatrate deal is:
> > * 256K download, 128K upload
> > * No data caps or limits (ie, it's flatrate, and it won't slow down
> > after 10GB)
> > * Static IP address
> > * No Telecom JetStream fees, service provided solely by Orcon
> > * No setup fees
> > * $49.95 per month (for existing Orcon JetStream/JetStart customers
> > only)
> >
> > It will be avaliable sometime in September, a firm date will come
> > soon.
> > No more Telecom fees (apart from your phoneline), so all you pay is
> > $49.95 all up including GST.
> >
> > To get your DSL at this price you need to be an Orcon
> > Jetstream/Jetstart customer BEFORE the plan is released (sometime in
> > September). If you sign up now you'll also go into the draw to win one
> > of 5 Silver Playstation 2 prize packs.
> >
> > For more info see:
> > http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/jet...ers/bitstream/

> Thanks Seeby, I'll study the budget over the next few days. That looks

good.
> --
> ~misfit~

Mutlley

Sounds Good.

Those that are on Orcon already with the 256K and 10Gig package . Will
they be upgraded to the new scheme automatically??

TIA.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet) wrote:

>Hi everybody - there is no need to panic about the withdrawl of
>JetStart as DSL wholesale is nearly here.
>
>Orcon has a special deal for customers that move to us before the
>launch of our new UBS (Unbundled Bitstream Service) Product
>
>After Orcon was the first to sign a wholesale agreement with Telecom a
>few months ago, details of our first wholesale DSL plan have now been
>released.
>
>The Orcon FastADSL Residential Flatrate deal is:
>* 256K download, 128K upload
>* No data caps or limits (ie, it's flatrate, and it won't slow down
>after 10GB)
>* Static IP address
>* No Telecom JetStream fees, service provided solely by Orcon
>* No setup fees
>* $49.95 per month (for existing Orcon JetStream/JetStart customers
>only)
>
>It will be avaliable sometime in September, a firm date will come
>soon.
>No more Telecom fees (apart from your phoneline), so all you pay is
>$49.95 all up including GST.
>
>To get your DSL at this price you need to be an Orcon
>Jetstream/Jetstart customer BEFORE the plan is released (sometime in
>September). If you sign up now you'll also go into the draw to win one
>of 5 Silver Playstation 2 prize packs.
>
>For more info see: http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/jet...ers/bitstream/
>
>EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<ce54b5$a2o$(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> Pudding Pimp wrote:
>>
>> > low megabyte cap. my cvs updates from local (NZ) peers and mirrors eat
>> > almost 4gigs a week, and then there's the package updates (3gig a week)
>> > and email (100 meg a week at least). highest offering from telecon is
>> > 10gig at over a $80 a month including local traffic. oh yeah and that's
>> > only if you use Xtra another isp is another 30 bucks a month.

>> Really! Why am I paying ihug/telescum a total of just under $70 for
>> 10GB 256/128k adsl then?
>>
>> > bitstream access is the wrong term for what they're offering, They only
>> > allow ISP's access to the slow 256/128 and impose the same caps, only
>> > difference is who you pay the bill to.

>> Wait and see - I'm not defending telescum but the last talks I had with
>> ISP management implied that they will have *much* more freedom as to
>> what they sell. Which ISP gets what will be a different story depending
>> on what they can negotiate - Orcon have had a wholesaling agreement
>> signed for the last couple of months and should be first out with "an
>> interesting new offering".
>> >
>> > On the other hand if I didn't live in a valley I could get wired country
>> > 2meg/s sync via ihug with a 20gig cap for $120 p/m same as telecon's
>> > pitiful offering.

>> Agreed - I live in the central suburbs of Auckland and can't get any of
>> the wireless options except Woosh (or someone's unsecured 802.11g
>> wireless with a full rate adsl connection).

Dave - Dave.net.nz

~misfit~ wrote:
>>* 256K download, 128K upload
>>No more Telecom fees (apart from your phoneline), so all you pay is
>>$49.95 all up including GST.

>>http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/jet...ers/bitstream/

> Thanks Seeby, I'll study the budget over the next few days. That looks good.

study the budget? it's less than 128k jetstart, so should be a no
brainer... unless your on dialup currently.

interesting actually, I notice that Telecom said that the 128k plan was
pointless as faster options are/will be there... so why havent they
dropped dialup yet?

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

EMB

Gavin Stephens wrote:

> Certainly does. However, with good competition it will drive prices of
> others down.
> Doesn't everybody in the country go through the Southern Cross anyway?
> Something Telecom are a large stake holder in. I would be interested to know
> what the national or international bandwidth to user ratio is regardless of
> connection speed out of Orcon as apposed to Telecom.

Most other ISP's have signed/are now signing unbundled ADSL wholesaling
agreements with Telecom so should also be able to offer simlar packages.
Orcon were first up to sign by a couple of months so have lead the
running. IIRC Ihug also own a whack of bandwidth on the SC cable - they
should have some flexibility in their pricing as a result (when they
make their minds up as to what they are going to offer).

--
EMB
change two to number to reply

Gavin Stephens

I find it funny they will drop 128, yet stick with 128 upstream on thier 256
plans. They still call this broadband? According to the ITU 384kbps is the
minimum before you can steal the idea of calling it broadband. Anyway reason
for this post.....

I've found that if you're uploading at full throttle ie: sending an email,
while trying to download a file, it can serverly effect download speeds to
the same if not less than the upstream rate. I guess this is due to latency
and round trip time for error correction for the download file? Anyone share
some light on this?

If it's 256 down, it should be regardless of upload speed, to me that's a
miss-informed approach to theri services, but a great bull*&t advertising
strategy. They should say UP TO 256kbps. Surely Telecom are not praticing
simplex data networking? They should have the same capacity both ways at
their end, so why lower upload speeds?

Gavin.

chop and chop! Johnathan Smith Ruby 2 01-08-2008 04:54 PM
"chomp,chop" usage i.e. chop immediately after chomp martin Perl Misc 3 04-15-2006 08:09 PM
print chop; VS chop; print; yusufm Perl Misc 2 03-09-2006 12:29 AM
Jetstarter now paid 4 in advance ? Chris NZ Computing 5 01-15-2004 10:44 PM
Best way to share Jetstarter? back again NZ Computing 18 08-09-2003 02:16 AM

Advertisments