Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Telecom Claim - True or False?

Telecom Claim - True or False?

Daniel

Interesting. What does that mean?

Patrick Dunford wrote:

> Disputes Tribunal resolutions are not enforceable though

Steven H

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:36:24 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
>> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 02:12:32 +1200, "JedMeister"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I think a claim would be successful (at least if I were the judge ha ha).
>>>This dialer scam is not new, and a simple strategy as you outlined would
>>>prevent dialler fraud so it is the telcos fault for not implementing
>>>blocking systems.
>>>
>>>Of course, if it were the telco losing out on the cash, the problem would be
>>>fixed overnight .

>> They may well now be losing cash on diallers, as TelstarClear failed
>> to turn up to a Disputes Tribunal hearing and the referee ordered that
>> their customer was not liable for the bill cause by a dialler
>> ($4,329.63). See the latest Consumer magazine.

> Disputes Tribunal resolutions are not enforceable though

yes they are, you CAN obtain an order for money owed to be paid.

Steven H, 3rd Year B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic

..net Geek

Patrick Dunford

says...

> Better they require a human to press numbers on thier phone to connect
> with these numbers, using dtmf that way will prevent auto dialing of
> these numbers thou and thats probably against some bloody international
> convention.

Really? How does the phone network tell the difference between a human
and a machine?

Patrick Dunford

In article <cdpniu$bla$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Interesting. What does that mean?
>

> Patrick Dunford wrote:
> >
> > Disputes Tribunal resolutions are not enforceable though

It means if you want something that is legally enforceable, you have to
go to a proper court.

Nik Coughin

Patrick Dunford wrote:
> says...
>
>> Better they require a human to press numbers on thier phone to
>> connect with these numbers, using dtmf that way will prevent auto
>> dialing of these numbers thou and thats probably against some bloody
>> international convention.

> Really? How does the phone network tell the difference between a human
> and a machine?

How about because the dialler doesn't know what numbers the voice at the
other end just asked it to push?

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> In article <cdpniu$bla$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
> > Interesting. What does that mean?
> >

> > Patrick Dunford wrote:
> > >
> > > Disputes Tribunal resolutions are not enforceable though

> It means if you want something that is legally enforceable, you have to
> go to a proper court.

sorry. It looks like the courts will enforce disputes tribunal
resolutions

Daniel

Patrick Dunford wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed)lid says...
>
>>In article <cdpniu$bla$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>>says...

>>It means if you want something that is legally enforceable, you have to
>>go to a proper court.

> sorry. It looks like the courts will enforce disputes tribunal
> resolutions

Cool - thanks.

Jason M

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:06:11 +1200, "Ryan Jacobs"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:cdp4aq$154$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Because often you are agreeing to a legal agreement when you click "Yes, I
>> want to install this dialer". None of the dialers I've come across install
>> without prompt.
>>

>Actually, the current generation of diallers do install silently without
>prompts. Just another reason to ensure any box connected to the internet has
>ALL security precautions in place - AV, firewall, patches, spyware
>detectors, etc.

And when the only users of the machine are an elderly couple and an
8-year old grand-daughter, how are they expected to know what are
scams etc? Why doesn't some enforcement authority chase after the
scamsters? Their phone numbers and IP addresses are known.
If the offending country (e.g. Cook Islands) doesn't give a damn, why
should our telephone companies give them money?

Whoever is at Cook Islands 0068 238872 should get a visit one day.

Stephen Worthington

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 07:25:37 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Jason M wrote:
>> I don't understand why the owner of the number in the Cook Islands
>> cannot be traced and prosecuted for fraud

>Because often you are agreeing to a legal agreement when you click "Yes, I
>want to install this dialer". None of the dialers I've come across install
>without prompt.
>
>Cheers,
>NIcholas Sherlock

Wrong, a lot of them use a "Close window" button or the like to
install from. Unless you read the source of the web page, you do not
know what a button will do to you.

Collector

Patrick Dunford said the following on 23/07/2004 15:19:
> says...
>

>>Better they require a human to press numbers on thier phone to connect
>>with these numbers, using dtmf that way will prevent auto dialing of
>>these numbers thou and thats probably against some bloody international
>>convention.

> Really? How does the phone network tell the difference between a human
> and a machine?

Think about it

Can the modem decipher the voice message to press button x to allow this
call to connect.
Can the modem generate a dtmf tone while connected

read the thing and think about it