Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Looking for advanced newsgroup filtering for Thunderbird

Looking for advanced newsgroup filtering for Thunderbird

zxcvbob

Are there any addons for Thunderbird 1.5 or 2.0 that will allow
filtering on additional headers? (Subject and From are not good
enough.) For example, I'd like to be able to filter out any message that
contains "postnews.google.com" in the path.

Thanks,
Bob

Rgr

zxcvbob wrote:
> Are there any addons for Thunderbird 1.5 or 2.0 that will allow
> filtering on additional headers? (Subject and From are not good
> enough.) For example, I'd like to be able to filter out any message that
> contains "postnews.google.com" in the path.

On the offchance Blinky doesn't show up soon, I'll send you to one of
his web pages: http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html

Blinky the Shark

Rgr wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
>> Are there any addons for Thunderbird 1.5 or 2.0 that will allow
>> filtering on additional headers? (Subject and From are not good
>> enough.) For example, I'd like to be able to filter out any message that
>> contains "postnews.google.com" in the path.

> On the offchance Blinky doesn't show up soon, I'll send you to one of
> his web pages: http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html

Thanks, wingman. He multiposted (oh, well) his request to another group I
do, and I 'splained and linked him to the UIP there, as it turns out. But
you just can't have too many links to http://improve-usenet.org.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Mike Easter

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Rgr wrote:
>
>> zxcvbob wrote:
>>> Are there any addons for Thunderbird 1.5 or 2.0 that will allow
>>> filtering on additional headers? (Subject and From are not good
>>> enough.) For example, I'd like to be able to filter out any message
>>> that contains "postnews.google.com" in the path.

>> On the offchance Blinky doesn't show up soon, I'll send you to one of
>> his web pages: http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html

> Thanks, wingman. He multiposted (oh, well) his request to another
> group I do, and I 'splained and linked him to the UIP there, as it
> turns out. But you just can't have too many links to
> http://improve-usenet.org.

Someone in a supernews support group was critiqueing the UIP filters
page for being absent links to the apps.

There I learned that -1- the nfilter site tended to have nameservice
problems and -2- someone FT said the .exe file there wasn't happy with
Win XP and provided an alternate source and files.

http://www.nfilter.org/ nfilter : A Client-side Usenet News Filter
http://www.saska.co.uk/nfilter/

--
Mike Easter

VanguardLH

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> Are there any addons for Thunderbird 1.5 or 2.0 that will allow
>> filtering on additional headers? (Subject and From are not good
>> enough.) For example, I'd like to be able to filter out any message
>> that contains "postnews.google.com" in the path.

> On the offchance Blinky doesn't show up soon, I'll send you to one
> of his web pages: http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html

But don't those solutions require running a local NNTP server to leech
from the user's original NNTP server? If so, how do you restrict them
to only yanking posts that the user requests through their NNTP
client, like Thunderbird? If they leech all posts from subscribed
newsgroups then the user could quickly consume their monthly quota (if
they have one, and most users do). This has the user yanking posts
using a local NNTP server as a client to do the pre-filtering and then
the user connects to that local NNTP server.

Mike Easter

VanguardLH wrote:

> But don't those solutions require running a local NNTP server to leech
> from the user's original NNTP server?

Nfilter is a nntp proxy. It works most smoothly on filtering on
headerlines included in the overview; in the case of GGers that can be
the MID.

So, when the newsagent requests a group's headers, the nfilter proxy
filters the undesirables.

Hamster Playground acts like a user newsserver.

I don't know much about leafnode, but it is described as a store and
forward proxy, so I don't know whether it is more like hamster or more
like nfilter. I suspect more like hamster.

http://leafnode.sourceforge.net/ Leafnode is a software package that
implements a store & forward NNTP proxy (client and server)

http://www.elbiah.de/hamster/ Hamster Playground is a free newsserver
and mailserver software, which allows to collect news and mails from
different servers.

--
Mike Easter

VanguardLH

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> But don't those solutions require running a local NNTP server to
>> leech
>> from the user's original NNTP server?

> Nfilter is a nntp proxy. It works most smoothly on filtering on
> headerlines included in the overview; in the case of GGers that can
> be
> the MID.
>
> So, when the newsagent requests a group's headers, the nfilter proxy
> filters the undesirables.
>
> Hamster Playground acts like a user newsserver.
>
> I don't know much about leafnode, but it is described as a store and
> forward proxy, so I don't know whether it is more like hamster or
> more
> like nfilter. I suspect more like hamster.
>

> http://leafnode.sourceforge.net/ Leafnode is a software package
> that
> implements a store & forward NNTP proxy (client and server)
>
> http://www.elbiah.de/hamster/ Hamster Playground is a free
> newsserver
> and mailserver software, which allows to collect news and mails from
> different servers.

I'm already using the old and dead Newsproxy (aka nFilter). That's
how I identify Google Groupers and even Microsoft CDO
webnews-for-dummies users. It also works to identify anyone using the
FollowUp-To header.

The solutions that incorporate a local NNTP server (or proxy that
"stores") means that I'd consume my monthly quota in probably a couple
of days although I only visit text newsgroups. Just because I
download all the message headers to show a list of available posts
doesn't mean that I want to read them all. I suspect these solution
will end up yanking the entire post just so all the headers are
available on which to filter, and yanking all posts from all the
newsgroups that I visit would consume my monthly quota damn quick.

The NNTP filters in Outlook Express suck for adequate sporge or spam
filtering. Thunderbird's filters are worse than what are available in
OE. What's needed to approximate the use of rules within the NNTP
client (that doesn't have adequate filtering rules) is an on-the-fly
proxy that can filter not only on the overview.fmt list of header but
also those when the full post is retrieved. However, I'm not sure the
rules in NNTP clients can be *re*applied after the initial poll to
just get the overview.fmt headers.

G. Morgan

Mike Easter wrote:

>Someone in a supernews support group was critiqueing the UIP filters
>page for being absent links to the apps.
>
>There I learned that -1- the nfilter site tended to have nameservice
>problems and -2- someone FT said the .exe file there wasn't happy with
>Win XP and provided an alternate source and files.
>
>http://www.nfilter.org/ nfilter : A Client-side Usenet News Filter
>http://www.saska.co.uk/nfilter/
>
>Frank Tabor wrote:
>> The program at nfilter.org is one byte short and won't work on XP.

That is correct. The one for download v1.20 @ nfilter.org is a byte
short. However, some kind soul named Bill has done some updates on
the program. It is now up to v1.24. D/L here:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp...ms/nps-124.zip

NewsProxy v1.2.4 Release Notes 2006-07-29

NewsProxy is a universal usenet filtering and posting header control
tool.
It can filter out unwanted messages through pattern matching and
scoring.
For help with filter expressions, see Google's newsgroups archive,
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...=100&scoring=d
This release is mostly a tweak of the v1.2.3 release, making it easier
to set
up for multiple news servers.

NewsProxy does not need an installer. You can simply extract the
*.exe and
run it. It will create a *.ini file to store its configuration. You
can
optionally add a text file called nfilter.dat (the default name, you
can
call it whatever you like) with filter expressions.

For more help, see http://www.nfilter.org/ - not maintained, but still
pertinent.

If you are having problems, turn on all of the debugging options and
look at both the main dialog box and the debug.log file.

Not all servers supply all headers in the overview. The Xref header
is the most reliable one for filtering out spam and unwanted
crossposts.

Changes from v1.2.3

1. Major addition - you can specify the configuration
file on the commandline. This makes it much easier to
set up multiple filtered server connections.

Create a Windows shortcut and change the Properties->Shortcut->Target
from
~~~
C:\bin\nps-124\NewsProxy.exe
~~~
~~~
C:\bin\nps-124\NewsProxy.exe -f"C:\bin\nps-124\Altopia.ini"
~~~
You can set up additional shortcuts for different config files.
Each configuration _must_ listen at a different port and the
newsreader must connect to 127.0.0.1 at the corresponding port.
I recommend using #119, for example, port 2119 for your second
server, 3119 for your third and so on.

2. Always On Top option.

3. Dropped Articles dialog can be resized.

4. Other minor UI tweaks.

Blinky the Shark

Mike Easter wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Rgr wrote:

>>> On the offchance Blinky doesn't show up soon, I'll send you to one of
>>> his web pages: http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html

>> Thanks, wingman. He multiposted (oh, well) his request to another
>> group I do, and I 'splained and linked him to the UIP there, as it
>> turns out. But you just can't have too many links to
>> http://improve-usenet.org.

> Someone in a supernews support group was critiqueing the UIP filters
> page for being absent links to the apps.

That's an easy add and a nice idea. On the other hand, I hope nobody
that wants to bin GGers hasn't been prevented because they don't know how
to use Google's search engine to find a program.

> There I learned that -1- the nfilter site tended to have nameservice
> problems and -2- someone FT said the .exe file there wasn't happy with
> Win XP and provided an alternate source and files.
>
> http://www.nfilter.org/ nfilter : A Client-side Usenet News Filter
> http://www.saska.co.uk/nfilter/

I'm hesitant to use an unfamiliar site for the download. Well, at least
it's not Russian.

> Frank Tabor wrote:
>> The program at nfilter.org is one byte short and won't work on XP.

I've heard about that nfilter one-byte issue in news.software.readers and
also the resolution. Since I don't use it, I didn't remember the
resolution, but it was simple.

Anyway, I'll tweak the UIP to reflect these issues -- thanks for the
input from you and the other participant(s) you mention. It probably
won't be today, so don't go there when you read this and expect to find
the adds already accomplished.

--

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Anyway, I'll tweak the UIP to reflect these issues -- thanks for the
> input from you and the other participant(s) you mention. It probably
> won't be today, so don't go there when you read this and expect to
> find the adds already accomplished.

I was planning on hounding you until the site was completely revised

--
Mike Easter