Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Picasa

Reply
Thread Tools

Picasa

 
 
Craig Shore
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-19-2004
On Google's front page there is a line

Free! Manage and share your digital photographs. Download Picasa from
Google.

I've never used a photo manager, mainly because most of them want to
take over and move your stuff around, store them in their own
structure etc. I clicked on this link curious about Google's
involvement. I'm still uncertain what they get out of it!

The good thing was a couple of paragraphs on Picasa's www site home
page..

===================================
The download itself contains only the Picasa software. Picasa will not
uninstall other programs or add any non-Picasa programs or files to
your computer.

Picasa works with the digital photo files on your PC to create a
better, more organized viewing and editing experience. Picasa will not
delete or move the location of pictures saved on your PC.
===================================

So I thought i'd give it a try, after all it wasn't going to mess with
my files or the structure so I could just bin it if it wasn't any
good. I was actually quite suprised, it's very good, very well
designed. Scrolling through your photos to find something is quick and
easy.

I guess the only thing Google must be pushing it for is perhaps a cut
in the sales of photo developing which it makes it easy to do if you
live in the USA.

It's well worth downloading if you have a digital camera.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-19-2004
Craig Shore wrote:
> On Google's front page there is a line
>
> Free! Manage and share your digital photographs. Download Picasa from
> Google.
>
> I've never used a photo manager, mainly because most of them want to
> take over and move your stuff around, store them in their own
> structure etc. I clicked on this link curious about Google's
> involvement. I'm still uncertain what they get out of it!
>
> The good thing was a couple of paragraphs on Picasa's www site home
> page..
>
> ===================================
> The download itself contains only the Picasa software. Picasa will not
> uninstall other programs or add any non-Picasa programs or files to
> your computer.
>
> Picasa works with the digital photo files on your PC to create a
> better, more organized viewing and editing experience. Picasa will not
> delete or move the location of pictures saved on your PC.
> ===================================
>
> So I thought i'd give it a try, after all it wasn't going to mess with
> my files or the structure so I could just bin it if it wasn't any
> good. I was actually quite suprised, it's very good, very well
> designed. Scrolling through your photos to find something is quick and
> easy.
>
> I guess the only thing Google must be pushing it for is perhaps a cut
> in the sales of photo developing which it makes it easy to do if you
> live in the USA.
>
> It's well worth downloading if you have a digital camera.


Thanks. I saw that last time I used Google and wondered about it. I might
try it.
--
~misfit~


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
GraB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-19-2004
Google acquires Picasa

http://www.google.com/intl/et/press/...el/picasa.html

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:06:09 +1200, Craig Shore
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Google's front page there is a line
>
>Free! Manage and share your digital photographs. Download Picasa from
>Google.
>
>I've never used a photo manager, mainly because most of them want to
>take over and move your stuff around, store them in their own
>structure etc. I clicked on this link curious about Google's
>involvement. I'm still uncertain what they get out of it!
>
>The good thing was a couple of paragraphs on Picasa's www site home
>page..
>
>===================================
>The download itself contains only the Picasa software. Picasa will not
>uninstall other programs or add any non-Picasa programs or files to
>your computer.
>
>Picasa works with the digital photo files on your PC to create a
>better, more organized viewing and editing experience. Picasa will not
>delete or move the location of pictures saved on your PC.
>===================================
>
>So I thought i'd give it a try, after all it wasn't going to mess with
>my files or the structure so I could just bin it if it wasn't any
>good. I was actually quite suprised, it's very good, very well
>designed. Scrolling through your photos to find something is quick and
>easy.
>
>I guess the only thing Google must be pushing it for is perhaps a cut
>in the sales of photo developing which it makes it easy to do if you
>live in the USA.
>
>It's well worth downloading if you have a digital camera.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-19-2004
Craig Shore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> On Google's front page there is a line
>
> Free! Manage and share your digital photographs. Download Picasa from
> Google.
>
> I've never used a photo manager, mainly because most of them want to
> take over and move your stuff around, store them in their own
> structure etc. I clicked on this link curious about Google's
> involvement. I'm still uncertain what they get out of it!


Google recently purchased Picasa and is now giving the software away
free

Microsoft Digital Imaging Pro does everything Picasa does and more...
(and Picasa is free for 15 days only)

I look forward to this coming out from Microsoft Research
http://news.search.com/search?q=%22f...oto+display%22

Cheers
Nathn
 
Reply With Quote
 
colinco
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-19-2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Google recently purchased Picasa and is now giving the software away
> free


Correct (at least for version 1.6, there is a ver 2 that now seems
delayed)

> Microsoft Digital Imaging Pro does everything Picasa does and more...
> (and Picasa is free for 15 days only)
>

The 15 day trial was available when you had to pay for ver 1.6. There is
no mention now of trial period.

"Microsoft Digital Imaging Pro does everything Picasa does and more..."
And so it should, it's standing on the dead bodies of several other MS
attempts. Photo Draw, Picture It
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brett
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2004
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 00:19:28 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Craig Shore wrote:
>> On Google's front page there is a line
>>
>> Free! Manage and share your digital photographs. Download Picasa from
>> Google.
>>
>> I've never used a photo manager, mainly because most of them want to
>> take over and move your stuff around, store them in their own
>> structure etc. I clicked on this link curious about Google's
>> involvement. I'm still uncertain what they get out of it!
>>
>> The good thing was a couple of paragraphs on Picasa's www site home
>> page..
>>
>> ===================================
>> The download itself contains only the Picasa software. Picasa will not
>> uninstall other programs or add any non-Picasa programs or files to
>> your computer.
>>
>> Picasa works with the digital photo files on your PC to create a
>> better, more organized viewing and editing experience. Picasa will not
>> delete or move the location of pictures saved on your PC.
>> ===================================
>>
>> So I thought i'd give it a try, after all it wasn't going to mess with
>> my files or the structure so I could just bin it if it wasn't any
>> good. I was actually quite suprised, it's very good, very well
>> designed. Scrolling through your photos to find something is quick and
>> easy.
>>
>> I guess the only thing Google must be pushing it for is perhaps a cut
>> in the sales of photo developing which it makes it easy to do if you
>> live in the USA.
>>
>> It's well worth downloading if you have a digital camera.

>
>Thanks. I saw that last time I used Google and wondered about it. I might
>try it.



I see orcon is also going to get into the Photo shareing seen.
http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/onlineservices/photos/

Brett
 
Reply With Quote
 
GraB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2004
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:15:36 +1200, colinco <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Google recently purchased Picasa and is now giving the software away
>> free

>
>Correct (at least for version 1.6, there is a ver 2 that now seems
>delayed)
>
>> Microsoft Digital Imaging Pro does everything Picasa does and more...
>> (and Picasa is free for 15 days only)
>>

>The 15 day trial was available when you had to pay for ver 1.6. There is
>no mention now of trial period.
>
>"Microsoft Digital Imaging Pro does everything Picasa does and more..."
>And so it should, it's standing on the dead bodies of several other MS
>attempts. Photo Draw, Picture It


Picasa is free. http://www.webfroot.co.nz/index.php?p=1135

Now that I have tried it I find that when thumbnailing your picture
collection it uses a heap of disc space. I have thousands of pics
from TV card and DVD captures, etc, and ACDSee thumbnails them all in
under 50Mb data file where Picasa went over double that with only a
quarter or so done. In ACDSee you can set the compression for
thumbnails to reduce space but there is no option in Picasa. Also I
couldn't find a way to display pictures full screen without going in
to slide show mode, as I can with ACDSee. When you have 1024 x 768
high quality captures it is nice to see them full screen instead of in
a little window.
 
Reply With Quote
 
DonB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2004
Picasa is really pretty basic.
Also it has a horrible on-screen slightly fuzzy look.
DonB
 
Reply With Quote
 
Craig Shore
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2004
On 19 Jul 2004 07:41:20 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Nathan Mercer) wrote:

>Craig Shore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>> On Google's front page there is a line
>>
>> Free! Manage and share your digital photographs. Download Picasa from
>> Google.
>>
>> I've never used a photo manager, mainly because most of them want to
>> take over and move your stuff around, store them in their own
>> structure etc. I clicked on this link curious about Google's
>> involvement. I'm still uncertain what they get out of it!

>
>Google recently purchased Picasa and is now giving the software away
>free
>
>Microsoft Digital Imaging Pro does everything Picasa does and more...
>(and Picasa is free for 15 days only)


Picasa is free. MS Digital Imaging Pro is US$99 (NZ$150)


 
Reply With Quote
 
K T T
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2004
I knew there had to be a catch. From their Terms and Conditions:

"License Granted
User grants Picasa a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable,
royalty-free, sublicensable right to exercise the copyright and
publicity rights User has in Registration Information provided to Picasa
by User, in any media whether now known or hereafter to become known.
Picasa will only use Registration Information in accordance with its
Privacy Policy.
Picasa claims no ownership rights in any image submitted in connection
with the printing services provided through the Software Products and
Services. User understands, however, that when images are shared with
others, recipients are then able to further share, modify, alter and/or
print those images. For the sole purpose of fulfilling printing orders
you or your recipients place, User grants Picasa a non-exclusive,
worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free license to use, copy and distribute
those images."

A great way for Google to own millions of pics from all over the world.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Picasa,Google Picasa,Picasa download,Google Picasa download idownweb.com Computer Support 6 11-30-2006 01:20 AM
Picasa,Google Picasa,Picasa download,Google Picasa download idownweb.com Digital Photography 2 11-29-2006 06:45 PM
NOW I have Picasa 2 Lou Computer Support 2 07-16-2005 07:07 AM
PICASA 2 gary@pearson1764.freeserve.co.uk Computer Support 7 01-25-2005 06:37 PM
any photo dbases better than Picasa? Tom Rue Computer Support 6 07-21-2004 04:19 PM



Advertisments