Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Jetstart

Jetstart

Ryan Jacobs

"Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rQqLc.3025$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>

> If you moved to Australia you could get full-speed 64GB/mo on a personal
> plan for $150/mo. Or 12GB/mo on a business plan (high reliability)
> for $245/mo.
>
> Your business would grow faster because your overheads would be a lot

lower.

So, internet access is THE ONLY overhead a business faces? I think NOT!

> BTW your electricity would be about $0.10/kWHr during peak hours.
> And your gas would be $0.015/kWHr. More savings.
> And a phone call from Sydney/Auckland would cost you $0.24 ($2 cap) during
> peak hours instead of the $0.69 that Telecom charges for Auckland/Sydney.

My current telecom plan allows me $2 capped calls to aussie 24/7.

> And did I mention - the company tax rate is 30%.
> And if your only income is interest/dividends then unlike NZ you will get
> low-income tax rebates.

How many people do you know that their only income is from
interest/dividends? Oh, but BTW, NZ also has income tax rebates for low
incomes!

> NZ seems to extract a huge portion of its taxes
> from the poorest people.

Not just NZ, I think you'll find that it's prevalent in the western world.

> Personally I cannot understand how businesses can survive in NZ.

I can, we don't have many whinging aussies bleating about how great the West
Island is!

Just out of curiosity, if aussie is so great - why aren't you there?

RJ out.

Harry

Ryan Jacobs wrote:

> So, internet access is THE ONLY overhead a business faces? I think NOT!

Of course not. That is why I highlighted some other things.

>> BTW your electricity would be about $0.10/kWHr during peak hours.
>> And your gas would be $0.015/kWHr. More savings.
>> And a phone call from Sydney/Auckland would cost you $0.24 ($2 cap)
>> during peak hours instead of the $0.69 that Telecom charges for
>> Auckland/Sydney.
>>

> My current telecom plan allows me $2 capped calls to aussie 24/7.

But you have to pay a monthly charge.
So it costs quite a bit more.

> How many people do you know that their only income is from
> interest/dividends? Oh, but BTW, NZ also has income tax rebates for low
> incomes!

I live entirely on interest and dividends.
NZ does *not* have low income tax rebates if your only income
is interest/dividends. NZ does not like people with money and
punishes them accordingly.

>> NZ seems to extract a huge portion of its taxes
>> from the poorest people.

> Not just NZ, I think you'll find that it's prevalent in the western world.

Not true.

>> Personally I cannot understand how businesses can survive in NZ.
>>

> I can, we don't have many whinging aussies bleating about how great the
> West Island is!
>
> Just out of curiosity, if aussie is so great - why aren't you there?

I am.

Ryan Jacobs

"Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NwsLc.3076$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ryan Jacobs wrote:
>
> > So, internet access is THE ONLY overhead a business faces? I think NOT!

> Of course not. That is why I highlighted some other things.
>

> >> BTW your electricity would be about $0.10/kWHr during peak hours.
> >> And your gas would be $0.015/kWHr. More savings.
> >> And a phone call from Sydney/Auckland would cost you $0.24 ($2 cap)
> >> during peak hours instead of the $0.69 that Telecom charges for
> >> Auckland/Sydney.
> >>

> > My current telecom plan allows me $2 capped calls to aussie 24/7.

> But you have to pay a monthly charge.
> So it costs quite a bit more.

It does? Glad you know more about MY telecom bill than I do, LOL. For the
record, I get $2 capped calls to aussie, $6 (or $8, I can't remember
exactly) capped calls to the UK, and similar cappedcalls to all other major
countries (andquite a few minor ones too) - all without paying a monthly
surcharge.

> > How many people do you know that their only income is from
> > interest/dividends? Oh, but BTW, NZ also has income tax rebates for low
> > incomes!

> I live entirely on interest and dividends.
> NZ does *not* have low income tax rebates if your only income
> is interest/dividends. NZ does not like people with money and
> punishes them accordingly.

Yes we do! The key is ifyour total income is under certain levels. How do
Iknow - well I just filed my tax return about 3 weeks ago.

> >> NZ seems to extract a huge portion of its taxes
> >> from the poorest people.

> > Not just NZ, I think you'll find that it's prevalent in the western

world.

> Not true.

Yeah right - we could go round in circles on that one - not true, is true,
not true, is true, not true..........

> >> Personally I cannot understand how businesses can survive in NZ.
> >>

> > I can, we don't have many whinging aussies bleating about how great the
> > West Island is!
> >
> > Just out of curiosity, if aussie is so great - why aren't you there?

> I am.

Thank god for that

So for someone who's in oz, you seem to be an expert on all things kiwi?
Again I think not.

RJ out.

Harry

Ryan Jacobs wrote:

> It does? Glad you know more about MY telecom bill than I do, LOL. For the
> record, I get $2 capped calls to aussie, $6 (or $8, I can't remember
> exactly) capped calls to the UK, and similar cappedcalls to all other
> major countries (andquite a few minor ones too) - all without paying a
> monthly surcharge.

So you otherwise pay $0.69 per minute then?
How do you get capped calls during business hours?
I would like to get them too if I can.

>> > How many people do you know that their only income is from
>> > interest/dividends? Oh, but BTW, NZ also has income tax rebates for low
>> > incomes!

>> I live entirely on interest and dividends.
>> NZ does *not* have low income tax rebates if your only income
>> is interest/dividends. NZ does not like people with money and
>> punishes them accordingly.
>>

> Yes we do! The key is ifyour total income is under certain levels. How do
> Iknow - well I just filed my tax return about 3 weeks ago.

No. If you have *only* interest income then you get no rebates.
The rebates only apply against salaray and wages.

>> > Just out of curiosity, if aussie is so great - why aren't you there?

>> I am.
>>

> Thank god for that
>
> So for someone who's in oz, you seem to be an expert on all things kiwi?

Yes, that is correct.
You must understand that Australia owns most of New Zealand so we know
quite a lot more about the place than you might realise.

AD.

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:38:30 +1200, Harry wrote:

> Your business would grow faster because your overheads would be a lot
> lower.

The kind of business that a couple of hundred dollars at the most a month
is stopping them grow faster wouldn't need anywhere near that much traffic.

What would they spend it on? An extra tenth of a staff member?

> And did I mention - the company tax rate is 30%.

But they have plenty of other taxes to make up for it - eg Capital Gains
Tax, Payroll Tax etc.

Recent studies have come to the conclusion that overall the company tax
rates are very similar (if not in NZs favour) between the two countries.
Australia gets proportionally more tax from companies than NZ.

> Personally I cannot understand how businesses can survive in NZ.

Yet survive they do. Just because you can't/couldn't manage it doesn't
mean others can't.

Direct your bitching at the government or Telecom etc - I'm pretty sure
nobody really wants to hear it in here.

James

"Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NwsLc.3076$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I am.

Do you still have a capital gains tax of 60% Harry?
James

Harry

James wrote:

> "Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:NwsLc.3076$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> I am.

> Do you still have a capital gains tax of 60% Harry?

What do you mean? Capital gains tax in Australia is either 30%
if corporate, or your marginal rate if a private individual.
If you hold your asset for more than a year it can drop to
half your marginal tax rate.

In New Zealand, there might be capital gains tax (if profit is your
motive) and again it is 33% corporate or your personal marginal
tax rate.

Where did you get your 60% from?

Harry

AD. wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:38:30 +1200, Harry wrote:
>
>> Your business would grow faster because your overheads would be a lot
>> lower.

> The kind of business that a couple of hundred dollars at the most a month
> is stopping them grow faster wouldn't need anywhere near that much
> traffic.

We are talking thousands I think.

> What would they spend it on? An extra tenth of a staff member?
>
>> And did I mention - the company tax rate is 30%.

> But they have plenty of other taxes to make up for it - eg Capital Gains
> Tax, Payroll Tax etc.

NZ has a capital gains tax also. Besides the capital gains tax is
not on top of any other taxes - it is just a means of pulling capital
gains into the tax regime. NZ does it by decree. The IRD can decree
that your motive was capital gains and therefore you must pay tax.

> Recent studies have come to the conclusion that overall the company tax
> rates are very similar (if not in NZs favour) between the two countries.
> Australia gets proportionally more tax from companies than NZ.

Australia's tax rate is 30%, NZs is 33%.
Australias GST is 10%, NZs is 12.5%.
Obviously a lot more companies must do business in Australia so that
the *proportional* amount of tax from companies is greater.
A lot of international companies choose Sydney for their Australasian
or SE Asian head office.

>> Personally I cannot understand how businesses can survive in NZ.

> Yet survive they do. Just because you can't/couldn't manage it doesn't
> mean others can't.
>
> Direct your bitching at the government or Telecom etc - I'm pretty sure
> nobody really wants to hear it in here.

You said it. That is why things are as they are - because people like
yourself do not care.

Stephen Worthington

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:16:03 +1200, Harry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>James wrote:
>

>> "Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:NwsLc.3076$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> I am.

>> Do you still have a capital gains tax of 60% Harry?

>What do you mean? Capital gains tax in Australia is either 30%
>if corporate, or your marginal rate if a private individual.
>If you hold your asset for more than a year it can drop to
>half your marginal tax rate.
>
>In New Zealand, there might be capital gains tax (if profit is your
>motive) and again it is 33% corporate or your personal marginal
>tax rate.

No, there is no capital gains tax. If IRD finds that you are trading
for the capital gain as a way of making income, then the capital gain
is income and falls under the income tax.

Stephen Worthington wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:16:03 +1200, Harry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>James wrote:
>>

>>> "Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:NwsLc.3076$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Do you still have a capital gains tax of 60% Harry?

>>What do you mean? Capital gains tax in Australia is either 30%
>>if corporate, or your marginal rate if a private individual.
>>If you hold your asset for more than a year it can drop to
>>half your marginal tax rate.
>>
>>In New Zealand, there might be capital gains tax (if profit is your
>>motive) and again it is 33% corporate or your personal marginal
>>tax rate.

> No, there is no capital gains tax. If IRD finds that you are trading
> for the capital gain as a way of making income, then the capital gain
> is income and falls under the income tax.

That is a capital gains tax.

In other countries where there is specific (and clear) definitions
of what a capital gain is, the net result is only to bring the
profit within the ambit of the tax laws - specifically income.

It isn't a separate tax, or an additional tax, only a set of
rules that specify that the capital gain needs to be treated as income.

NZ does not have an explicit capital gains tax because NZ prefers to
have the IRD office make decrees. Which means that you might
unexpectedly find yourself faced with having to pay a large
tax bill. Much better, I think, to have clear legal definitions.

How hard would it be for Jetstart ISPs to... Evil Bastard NZ Computing 24 09-23-2003 12:49 PM
jetstart ISP's tim NZ Computing 8 09-01-2003 11:56 PM
Re: 4 questions about Maxnet Jetstart ADSL Alastair Johnson NZ Computing 3 07-12-2003 07:26 PM
Re: 4 questions about Maxnet Jetstart ADSL Nick NZ Computing 4 07-11-2003 10:09 PM
Re: 4 questions about Maxnet Jetstart ADSL Peter NZ Computing 1 07-09-2003 07:55 AM

Advertisments