Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Saturn Cable

Saturn Cable

Allistar

JB wrote:

>> I used Saturn cable for 4 years and it was excellent. I had a static IP
>> address by default, which means you can register domain names and run
>> your own mail and web servers - or whatever.
>>
>> I think Saturn now go faster than 256k. Check...but I think they now
>> offer 512k as the main service.....and 60KB/second *IS* better than 30KB.
>>
>> I had the 2mbps service....and could download at 235KB / second - or a
>> megabyte every 4-5 seconds.
>>
>> A 640KB CD ISO took about 45 minutes to download....and national traffic

> was
>> charged at 1/10th the int'l rate.
>>
>> > Which to choose that's my next decision.
>> > Help needed from all you experts out there.

>> Try it. If you don't like it.....go Jetstream.

> Hi
>
> Im in CHCH, had 256 Telstra cable and I thought it totaly "rocked"
> shifting from dial-up - until I moved to 2 Mb - "now that rocks" - 1 Gb
> traffic for $45 a month on the plan with my phone and TV - download a Mb
> in 3-4 seconds. Haven't had a problem in over 3 months since my
> connection. TV Phone and Internet all go down the same coaxial to the
> street where they hook into the fibre-optic network AFAIK!
>
> Cheers
>
> JB

The problem I see is that with a Gb cap and downloading a Mb in 4 seconds
means if you max out the connection your monthly cap will last you a
whopping 1 hour and 9 minutes. It means you can't even download more than 1
full CD .iso file in one month (without getting stung extra fees).

Having saod that for users that don't go over the 1Gb cap it would be a
great connection.

Allistar.

James

Yeah saturn cable.
How good is it compared to Jetstream Surf 256 ?
I've just bought a new home in a Christchurch suburb where
Saturn cable goes right past the gate. Is Saturn's better than
Telecom NZ's for home phone and internet costwise or
speedwise or both ?
Which to choose that's my next decision.
Help needed from all you experts out there.
T.I.A.
James

Harry

James wrote:

> Yeah saturn cable.
> How good is it compared to Jetstream Surf 256 ?
> I've just bought a new home in a Christchurch suburb where
> Saturn cable goes right past the gate. Is Saturn's better than
> Telecom NZ's for home phone and internet costwise or
> speedwise or both ?
> Which to choose that's my next decision.
> Help needed from all you experts out there.

As far as cable goes it is fairly pathetic.
Just like the pathetic ADSL it is also mostly restricted to slow speeds.
Cable is also more restrictive in the way in which is shares bandwidth
with other users.

In any case you are more likely to get a phone outage over cable than you
are from traditional phone circuits.

As far as cost is concerned that is something you would need to work
out for yourself. Nobody else knows what your pattern of phone calls
is, whether you watch tv, and how much internet MB allowance you need.

Mauricio Freitas

"Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XBmKc.1619$(E-Mail Removed)...
> James wrote:
>

> > Yeah saturn cable.
> > How good is it compared to Jetstream Surf 256 ?
> > I've just bought a new home in a Christchurch suburb where
> > Saturn cable goes right past the gate. Is Saturn's better than
> > Telecom NZ's for home phone and internet costwise or
> > speedwise or both ?
> > Which to choose that's my next decision.
> > Help needed from all you experts out there.

> As far as cable goes it is fairly pathetic.
> Just like the pathetic ADSL it is also mostly restricted to slow speeds.
> Cable is also more restrictive in the way in which is shares bandwidth
> with other users.

It's not restricted to slow speeds. I used to have TelstraSaturn 256kbps at
home and now I'm using 10mbps. I've downloaded a Battlefield 1942 update
(650MB file) in December on the 256kbps connection it took 6 hours. I've
downloaded their latest update last month and it took only 18 minutes with
this 10mbps.

AFAIK Telecom does not offer anything faster than 2mbps for residential use.

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

Gordon

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 14:43:20 +1200, James wrote:

> Yeah saturn cable.
> How good is it compared to Jetstream Surf 256 ?
> I've just bought a new home in a Christchurch suburb where
> Saturn cable goes right past the gate. Is Saturn's better than
> Telecom NZ's for home phone and internet costwise or
> speedwise or both ?
> Which to choose that's my next decision.

So do you believe in competition?

No, feed Telecom's wallet
Yes, feed Saturn's wallet

Remember (true) competition, brings lower prices to all consumers.

Malcolm Moore

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:00:55 +1200, Harry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>As far as cable goes it is fairly pathetic.
>Just like the pathetic ADSL it is also mostly restricted to slow speeds.
>Cable is also more restrictive in the way in which is shares bandwidth
>with other users.

You haven't defined "slow speeds" but I find that downloads from
paradise servers run flat out, 2Mb in my case, using their cable
service in Wgton. Downloads from elsewhere are slower but I presume
this is due to upstream problems. I haven't yet noticed any problems
due to sharing bw with others nearby.

>In any case you are more likely to get a phone outage over cable than you
>are from traditional phone circuits.

Saturn phone circuits are traditional twisted pair copper, at least
from the subscribers premises to somewhere upstream. They are nothing
to do with the cable system, apart from sharing the catenary support
wire.

--
regards
Malcolm.

steve

Malcolm Moore wrote:

>>In any case you are more likely to get a phone outage over cable than you
>>are from traditional phone circuits.

> Saturn phone circuits are traditional twisted pair copper, at least
> from the subscribers premises to somewhere upstream. They are nothing
> to do with the cable system, apart from sharing the catenary support
> wire.

Is that right? I thought most cable companies provided phone over cable.
Maybe they do it different in NZ.

They do provide TV over cable I suppose?

Enkidu

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:20:22 +1200, "Mauricio Freitas"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>AFAIK Telecom does not offer anything faster than 2mbps for residential use.

I guess my ADSL modem is lying when it says 7.5Mbps then? Jetstream is
up to 8Mbps down, up to 1Mbps down I believe.

Cheers,

Cliff

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:00:55 +1200, Harry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>James wrote:
>

>> Yeah saturn cable.
>> How good is it compared to Jetstream Surf 256 ?
>> I've just bought a new home in a Christchurch suburb where
>> Saturn cable goes right past the gate. Is Saturn's better than
>> Telecom NZ's for home phone and internet costwise or
>> speedwise or both ?
>> Which to choose that's my next decision.
>> Help needed from all you experts out there.

>As far as cable goes it is fairly pathetic.
>Just like the pathetic ADSL it is also mostly restricted to slow speeds.
>Cable is also more restrictive in the way in which is shares bandwidth
>with other users.
>
>In any case you are more likely to get a phone outage over cable than you
>are from traditional phone circuits.

*******s you do not have a clue, CABLE IS THE only way to go, NO Micro DROPP
OUTS AND IS VERY STABLE..

What has the phone to do with cable,..?

Saturn Cable ’_£₯ΊΡ NZ Computing 6 05-07-2004 11:44 PM
Apollo Saturn V 3 dvd set on Ebay Thomas Bell DVD Video 0 11-25-2003 11:50 PM
Re: New Saturn/Telstra Cable/Phone charges.. dud_address@xparadise.net.nz NZ Computing 0 07-15-2003 02:42 AM

Advertisments