Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Can't see Network Computer

Can't see Network Computer

=?Utf-8?B?R0lSb2I2OQ==?=

Just set up winXP home network but can not see any computers in the network.
I do not habve an option to search for them either. Reloaded full WinXP Pro
and still no option. I don't have the option to type in the computer I am
looking for, in "My Network Places". Any help is appreciated.

Malke

GIRob69 wrote:

> Just set up winXP home network but can not see any computers in the
> network. I do not habve an option to search for them either. Reloaded
> full WinXP Pro and still no option. I don't have the option to type in
> the computer I am looking for, in "My Network Places". Any help is
> appreciated.

This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the
Network Setup Wizard on all computers, making sure to enable File &
Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn
on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
substitute your correct subnet.

Shared Documents folder.

If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

=?Utf-8?B?R0lSb2I2OQ==?=

Great, I didn't even get half through the suggested fix and I noticed some
computer I don't even know in my network workgroup. Obviously all my security
is down and my network is wide open. This XP networking is for the birds and
any company that leaves you hanging like this shoould not be allowed to
thrive. Microsoft sucks. Thanks for your help very much though. I need to get
rid of this unknown computer. Any ideas?

"Malke" wrote:

> GIRob69 wrote:
>
> > Just set up winXP home network but can not see any computers in the
> > network. I do not habve an option to search for them either. Reloaded
> > full WinXP Pro and still no option. I don't have the option to type in
> > the computer I am looking for, in "My Network Places". Any help is
> > appreciated.

> This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the
> Network Setup Wizard on all computers, making sure to enable File &
> Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn
> on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
> firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
> Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
> third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
> Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
> IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
> substitute your correct subnet.
>
> Then create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
> home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share
> folders inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the
> Shared Documents folder.
>
> If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
> troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
> and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
> http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
> .

TOF

GIRob69 wrote:
> Great, I didn't even get half through the suggested fix and I noticed some
> computer I don't even know in my network workgroup. Obviously all my security
> is down and my network is wide open. This XP networking is for the birds and
> any company that leaves you hanging like this shoould not be allowed to
> thrive. Microsoft sucks. Thanks for your help very much though. I need to get
> rid of this unknown computer. Any ideas?
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> GIRob69 wrote:
>>
>>> Just set up winXP home network but can not see any computers in the
>>> network. I do not habve an option to search for them either. Reloaded
>>> full WinXP Pro and still no option. I don't have the option to type in
>>> the computer I am looking for, in "My Network Places". Any help is
>>> appreciated.

>> This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the
>> Network Setup Wizard on all computers, making sure to enable File &
>> Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn
>> on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
>> firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
>> Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
>> third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
>> Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
>> IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
>> substitute your correct subnet.
>>
>> Then create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
>> home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share
>> folders inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the
>> Shared Documents folder.
>>
>> If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
>> troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
>> and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
>> http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers