Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DVD cases

DVD cases

Lawrence DčOliveiro

I just bought some slimline jewel cases from Dick Smith, which were
labelled as suitable for CDs or DVDs. However, I have read elsewhere
that DVD cases must have a hub that allows the disc to spin freely. The
hub in normal CD cases grips the disc such that, while you can still
turn it with your finger, it will not continue spinning freely when you
let go.

These Dick Smith cases certainly do not let the disc spin freely.

Thoughts, anyone?

Jed Meisterdude

my local video shop sells empty DVD cases for 25c each - with free spinning
hubs.

I think the reasoning behind free spinning hubs is that they do not deform
the disc as with the fixed hubs. Perhaps this is more important for
DVD+R/+RW discs where the dyes are more fragile than pre-mastered discs.

"Lawrence DčOliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just bought some slimline jewel cases from Dick Smith, which were
> labelled as suitable for CDs or DVDs. However, I have read elsewhere
> that DVD cases must have a hub that allows the disc to spin freely. The
> hub in normal CD cases grips the disc such that, while you can still
> turn it with your finger, it will not continue spinning freely when you
> let go.
>
> These Dick Smith cases certainly do not let the disc spin freely.
>
> Thoughts, anyone?

Mutley

Lawrence DčOliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>I just bought some slimline jewel cases from Dick Smith, which were
>labelled as suitable for CDs or DVDs. However, I have read elsewhere
>that DVD cases must have a hub that allows the disc to spin freely. The
>hub in normal CD cases grips the disc such that, while you can still
>turn it with your finger, it will not continue spinning freely when you
>let go.
>
>These Dick Smith cases certainly do not let the disc spin freely.
>
>Thoughts, anyone?

Are they the correct size covers. ie the same as the one that DVDs
use??

I bought some from Harvey Norman . They are black in color and the
disk spins freely. They were not cheap.

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 20:26:59 +1200, Lawrence DčOliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>I just bought some slimline jewel cases from Dick Smith, which were
>labelled as suitable for CDs or DVDs. However, I have read elsewhere
>that DVD cases must have a hub that allows the disc to spin freely. The
>hub in normal CD cases grips the disc such that, while you can still
>turn it with your finger, it will not continue spinning freely when you
>let go.
>
>These Dick Smith cases certainly do not let the disc spin freely.
>
>Thoughts, anyone?

Utter Crap, why do your read such nonsense..

Don Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lawrence DčOliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>Thoughts, anyone?

It's not that important that the disc spin freely on the hub. After all,
many DVDs do come in (dual) CD cases when bundled with CDs. It's more
important that you be able to release the DVD from the hub without bending
the disc. Because they're made from two "half thickness" discs glued
together, flexing may damage the glue joint. Some DVD (and CD) cases are
very poor in this respect.

It's ironic that people who are too smart to engage in politics
are governed by people who are not as smart.

Home server cases and external firewire cases thingy@nowhere.commy NZ Computing 5 03-14-2006 07:56 AM
Quirks associated with different company's DVD cases Zontar DVD Video 0 12-23-2003 11:36 PM
DVD Cases nospam DVD Video 12 09-11-2003 07:48 PM
Alias Season 1 Broken DVD Cases Scanz DVD Video 1 09-05-2003 05:48 PM

Advertisments