Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > hVCPlus hardwired

hVCPlus hardwired

Joe Black

Does anyone know if the hardwired version can be used with Windows XP.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that it didn't because Windows XP does
not allow direct hardware access?

Regards - Joe

Paul

This program has nothing to do with hardware it's just what the program is
called.

As long as you use the right tuner for it, it'll work.

"Joe Black" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_2lJc.453$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know if the hardwired version can be used with Windows XP.
> I seem to remember reading somewhere that it didn't because Windows XP

does
> not allow direct hardware access?
>
> Regards - Joe

Gurble

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:26:17 +1200, "Joe Black"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does anyone know if the hardwired version can be used with Windows XP.
>I seem to remember reading somewhere that it didn't because Windows XP does
>not allow direct hardware access?

Yes it does (work, that is).

Joe Black

news:cd55lh$pu6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This program has nothing to do with hardware it's just what the program is
> called.
>
> As long as you use the right tuner for it, it'll work.

My understanding was that hVCPlus versions prior to the "hardwired" versions
interacted with the card using windows drivers.
The hardwired version introduced the ability to address the hardware (card)
directly, bypassing the windows drivers (hence the name "hardwired").

Regards - Joe

Gurble

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 23:14:58 +1200, "Joe Black"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:cd55lh$pu6$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> This program has nothing to do with hardware it's just what the program is
>> called.
>>
>> As long as you use the right tuner for it, it'll work.

>My understanding was that hVCPlus versions prior to the "hardwired" versions
>interacted with the card using windows drivers.
>The hardwired version introduced the ability to address the hardware (card)
>directly, bypassing the windows drivers (hence the name "hardwired").

Don't know, but it definately works a dream under XP with the Leadtek
TV2000XP Deluxe (NOT the expert version).

HTH.

John Dyer

news:cd55lh$pu6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This program has nothing to do with hardware it's just what the program is
> called.
>
> As long as you use the right tuner for it, it'll work.
>
> "Joe Black" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:_2lJc.453$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Does anyone know if the hardwired version can be used with Windows XP.
> > I seem to remember reading somewhere that it didn't because Windows XP

> does
> > not allow direct hardware access?
> >
> > Regards - Joe

Well it doesn't work for me, buts its probably because my hardware is a bit
dated.
Anyone know what the minimum requirments are?

I'm using Pentium 111 at 733Mhz, 440BX mobo, and nVidea AGP TNT2 M64
graphics card. The error I get is a DirectDraw error which says I don't have
any
"overlay" hardware present.

If I drop back to the previous version 1.00 then it works but not that
brilliant, there's
obviously a big change in the way it works for the latest version 1.00.6.4

Regards - John

Paul

Try updating DirectX if you havent to 9.0b
the latest version.

And are you using a tuner it supports?

"John Dyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsuEJc.800$(E-Mail Removed)...
> news:cd55lh$pu6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > This program has nothing to do with hardware it's just what the program

is
> > called.
> >
> > As long as you use the right tuner for it, it'll work.
> >
> > "Joe Black" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:_2lJc.453$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Does anyone know if the hardwired version can be used with Windows XP.
> > > I seem to remember reading somewhere that it didn't because Windows XP

> > does
> > > not allow direct hardware access?
> > >
> > > Regards - Joe
> > >

> Well it doesn't work for me, buts its probably because my hardware is a

bit
> dated.
> Anyone know what the minimum requirments are?
>
> I'm using Pentium 111 at 733Mhz, 440BX mobo, and nVidea AGP TNT2 M64
> graphics card. The error I get is a DirectDraw error which says I don't

have
> any
> "overlay" hardware present.
>
> If I drop back to the previous version 1.00 then it works but not that
> brilliant, there's
> obviously a big change in the way it works for the latest version 1.00.6.4
>
> Regards - John

John Dyer

Yep, I'm using the latest DirectX 9.0, and the card is a Pixelview Play TV
Pro
which is in the Card list.

The previous version 1.00 works fine except there is no sound.

Any suggestions?

news:cd7e0v$852$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try updating DirectX if you havent to 9.0b
> the latest version.
>
> And are you using a tuner it supports?
>
> "John Dyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsuEJc.800$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:cd55lh$pu6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > This program has nothing to do with hardware it's just what the

program
> is
> > > called.
> > >
> > > As long as you use the right tuner for it, it'll work.
> > >
> > > "Joe Black" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:_2lJc.453$(E-Mail Removed)...

XP.

XP
> > > does

> > Well it doesn't work for me, buts its probably because my hardware is a

> bit
> > dated.
> > Anyone know what the minimum requirments are?
> >
> > I'm using Pentium 111 at 733Mhz, 440BX mobo, and nVidea AGP TNT2 M64
> > graphics card. The error I get is a DirectDraw error which says I don't

> have
> > any
> > "overlay" hardware present.
> >
> > If I drop back to the previous version 1.00 then it works but not that
> > brilliant, there's
> > obviously a big change in the way it works for the latest version

1.00.6.4

> > Regards - John

Paul

Whats that tuner John? External USB? Internal?

Have you tried plugging a stereo cable into it and into
the soundcard for the sound??

"John Dyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8VDKc.1939$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yep, I'm using the latest DirectX 9.0, and the card is a Pixelview Play TV
> Pro
> which is in the Card list.
>
> The previous version 1.00 works fine except there is no sound.
>
> Any suggestions?

> news:cd7e0v$852$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Try updating DirectX if you havent to 9.0b
> > the latest version.
> >
> > And are you using a tuner it supports?
> >
> > "John Dyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > newsuEJc.800$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:cd55lh$pu6$(E-Mail Removed)...

> program
> > is

> XP.

Windows
> XP

> > > Well it doesn't work for me, buts its probably because my hardware is

> > bit
> > > dated.
> > > Anyone know what the minimum requirments are?
> > >
> > > I'm using Pentium 111 at 733Mhz, 440BX mobo, and nVidea AGP TNT2 M64
> > > graphics card. The error I get is a DirectDraw error which says I

don't
> > have
> > > any
> > > "overlay" hardware present.
> > >
> > > If I drop back to the previous version 1.00 then it works but not that
> > > brilliant, there's
> > > obviously a big change in the way it works for the latest version

> 1.00.6.4
> > >
> > > Regards - John

John Dyer

The tuner is part of the board, looks like a Phillips tuner.
I know the sound is correctly connected because the
native TV application that comes with the board works
fine, it displays a window with the TV program & sound is Ok.
I can probably get it working, but I am more interested in
getting the latest version working, Ver 1.00.6.4, so
I need to know why I get the DirectDraw error about
the "no overlay hardware" present.

news:cdf7cj$3qc$(E-Mail Removed)...