Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > new computer options

new computer options

ofn01

Hi,

I am looking to get a new computer and do not mind assembling it myself.
I have been out of the new computer game for a while so I am not too sure of
the latest and greatest in many areas.I would like to keep cost down but I
am happy to sacrifice a bit of cost for reliability and quality. I don't
need the absolute fastest but would like futureproofing to some extent.

What I have so far:
Pentium 4 2.4GHz (Northwood?) stock heatsink/fan
Motherboard (Intel chipset 857/875) Socket 478 DDR400 RAM support, FSB
400MHz, AGP 8x, USB 2.0 (NEC)
RAM 512Mb DDR400
Gfx: Nvidia FX5600 or Ti4800SE
Sound: Maybe just stick with 5.1 support on the Motherboard?
HDD: 80Gb ATA133 (should I leave serial ATA alone and stick with IDE?)
CDRW (LiteOn? Plextor?)
DVDROM (Pioneer?)
Power Supply - 400watt - whats a reliable PSU these days?

Industrious

Get a motherboard that supports serial IDE raid. Get 2 identical drives.
Whoosh. Best and easiest performance tweak.
I use an appolication called HDTach and my drives go off it's scale.

"ofn01" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Fc3Jc.8153$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I am looking to get a new computer and do not mind assembling it myself.
> I have been out of the new computer game for a while so I am not too sure

of
> the latest and greatest in many areas.I would like to keep cost down but I
> am happy to sacrifice a bit of cost for reliability and quality. I don't
> need the absolute fastest but would like futureproofing to some extent.
>
> What I have so far:
> Pentium 4 2.4GHz (Northwood?) stock heatsink/fan
> Motherboard (Intel chipset 857/875) Socket 478 DDR400 RAM support, FSB
> 400MHz, AGP 8x, USB 2.0 (NEC)
> RAM 512Mb DDR400
> Gfx: Nvidia FX5600 or Ti4800SE
> Sound: Maybe just stick with 5.1 support on the Motherboard?
> HDD: 80Gb ATA133 (should I leave serial ATA alone and stick with IDE?)
> CDRW (LiteOn? Plextor?)
> DVDROM (Pioneer?)
> Power Supply - 400watt - whats a reliable PSU these days?

ofn01

"ofn01" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Fc3Jc.8153$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I am looking to get a new computer and do not mind assembling it myself.
> I have been out of the new computer game for a while so I am not too sure

of
> the latest and greatest in many areas.I would like to keep cost down but I
> am happy to sacrifice a bit of cost for reliability and quality. I don't
> need the absolute fastest but would like futureproofing to some extent.
>
> What I have so far:
> Pentium 4 2.4GHz (Northwood?) stock heatsink/fan
> Motherboard (Intel chipset 857/875) Socket 478 DDR400 RAM support, FSB
> 400MHz, AGP 8x, USB 2.0 (NEC)
> RAM 512Mb DDR400
> Gfx: Nvidia FX5600 or Ti4800SE
> Sound: Maybe just stick with 5.1 support on the Motherboard?
> HDD: 80Gb ATA133 (should I leave serial ATA alone and stick with IDE?)
> CDRW (LiteOn? Plextor?)
> DVDROM (Pioneer?)
> Power Supply - 400watt - whats a reliable PSU these days?

Using pp.co.nz's PC builder I came up with this (excludes
keyboard/mouse/speakers)
[any suggestions/changes welcome!]

$272.00 CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.4Ghz (133x1 Northwood Socket 478 CPU + Fan
Retail Boxed
$415.00 Socket 478 Motherboard: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Socket 478 Motherboard
$222.00 DDR RAM Memory Chip: A-Data 512MB PC4000 DDR (500Mhz) Memory in
Aluminium Plate
$415.00 AGP Video Card: Asus GeForce FX 5600 V9560 VideoSuite 128MB AGP
Video Card DVI Video-Out 8x AGP
$70.00 IDE Device: Sony CRX230E88 (OEM) 52x32x52x (Beige) Internal
IDECD-Writer
$75.00 IDE Device: Sony DDU1612 16x40x oem DVD-Rom Drive
$187.00 IDE Device: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus 120GB 7200RPM IDE ATA100
Hard Disk Drive 8MB Cache
$27.00 Floppy Disk Drive: Sony 3.5 Floppy Disk Drive (Silver)
$108.00 PCI Card: Intel Pro 1000 MT 10/100/1000 PCI Network Adaptor
$60.00 PCI Card: Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1 Special Edition PCI Sound
Card
$183.00 Case: 3R System Air (Black) Mid-Tower Case with Side Window,
Maxpower Whisper Quiet 400W PSU
$244.00 Monitor: Philips 107S Flatscreen 17" Monitor
Total $2,328.00

ofn01

"Industrious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsp3Jc.8155$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Get a motherboard that supports serial IDE raid. Get 2 identical drives.
> Whoosh. Best and easiest performance tweak.
> I use an appolication called HDTach and my drives go off it's scale.

The motherboard I have selected thus far has the Promise PDC20378 controller
which I believe supports RAID - is it easy to configure?

> "ofn01" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Fc3Jc.8153$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am looking to get a new computer and do not mind assembling it myself.
> > I have been out of the new computer game for a while so I am not too

sure
> of
> > the latest and greatest in many areas.I would like to keep cost down but

> > am happy to sacrifice a bit of cost for reliability and quality. I don't
> > need the absolute fastest but would like futureproofing to some extent.
> >
> > What I have so far:
> > Pentium 4 2.4GHz (Northwood?) stock heatsink/fan
> > Motherboard (Intel chipset 857/875) Socket 478 DDR400 RAM support, FSB
> > 400MHz, AGP 8x, USB 2.0 (NEC)
> > RAM 512Mb DDR400
> > Gfx: Nvidia FX5600 or Ti4800SE
> > Sound: Maybe just stick with 5.1 support on the Motherboard?
> > HDD: 80Gb ATA133 (should I leave serial ATA alone and stick with IDE?)
> > CDRW (LiteOn? Plextor?)
> > DVDROM (Pioneer?)
> > Power Supply - 400watt - whats a reliable PSU these days?

colinco

In article <xp3Jc.8155$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Get a motherboard that supports serial IDE raid. Get 2 identical drives.
> Whoosh. Best and easiest performance tweak.
> I use an appolication called HDTach and my drives go off it's scale.

Too bad real world apps don't respond as well. You might be better off
with OS/apps and data on separate drives.

MarkH

"ofn01" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Fc3Jc.8153$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi,
>
> I am looking to get a new computer and do not mind assembling it
> myself. I have been out of the new computer game for a while so I am
> not too sure of the latest and greatest in many areas.I would like to
> keep cost down but I am happy to sacrifice a bit of cost for
> reliability and quality. I don't need the absolute fastest but would
> like futureproofing to some extent.
>
> What I have so far:
> Pentium 4 2.4GHz (Northwood?) stock heatsink/fan

Make sure it is 800 bus, consider P4 2.8GHz for not much more.

> Motherboard (Intel chipset 857/875) Socket 478 DDR400 RAM support, FSB
> 400MHz, AGP 8x, USB 2.0 (NEC)
> RAM 512Mb DDR400

Consider dual DDR400 for 800MHz bus. i.e. M/Board that supports dual
DDR400 and 2 x DDR400 RAM modules (2 x 256MB DDR400 or 2 x 512 DDR400).

> Gfx: Nvidia FX5600 or Ti4800SE

FX5700? not that much dearer.

> Sound: Maybe just stick with 5.1 support on the Motherboard?

Why not, you could always add a sound card later if you need to.

> HDD: 80Gb ATA133 (should I leave serial ATA alone and stick with IDE?)

Go SATA, IDE is on the way out for HDDs.

> CDRW (LiteOn? Plextor?)
> DVDROM (Pioneer?)

Pioneer DVR-107D will do the job of both, and allow writing to DVD-R/RW
and DVD+R/RW.

> Power Supply - 400watt - whats a reliable PSU these days?

Thermaltake? Try paying around $100 or higher, cheaper is not generally
a good idea with PSUs.

Get a good case with a fan that blows air over the HDD.

Question:
How do you futureproof? No matter what you do the future is unstoppable!
No matter what you will have to replace this PC in ~5 years.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

The Other Guy

ofn01 wrote:
> Using pp.co.nz's PC builder I came up with this (excludes
> keyboard/mouse/speakers)
> [any suggestions/changes welcome!]
>
> $272.00 CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.4Ghz (133x1 Northwood Socket 478 CPU + Fan
> Retail Boxed
> $415.00 Socket 478 Motherboard: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Socket 478 Motherboard

> $108.00 PCI Card: Intel Pro 1000 MT 10/100/1000 PCI Network Adaptor

The P4C800-E Deluxe already has gigabit Ethernet, Intel. More
importantly, the -E revision of the board has CSA which permits full
duplex gigabit Ethernet. GbE exceeds the limits of the PCI bus which is
shared by other devices like RAID controllers and built in sound.

I wanted to get the above board, but it wasn't available at the time.
Got the Gigabyte GA-8KNXP instead, but it does come at a slightly higher
cost and has features you most probably don't require.

Also i865PE boards are cheaper than the i875P boards, e.g. the P4P800
boards.

> $244.00 Monitor: Philips 107S Flatscreen 17" Monitor

The 107S used to be a good monitor, wouldn't touch one these days.

The Other Guy

Malcolm

ofn01 wrote:

> "ofn01" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Fc3Jc.8153$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am looking to get a new computer and do not mind assembling it myself.
>>I have been out of the new computer game for a while so I am not too sure

> of
>
>>the latest and greatest in many areas.I would like to keep cost down but I
>>am happy to sacrifice a bit of cost for reliability and quality. I don't
>>need the absolute fastest but would like futureproofing to some extent.
>>
>>What I have so far:
>>Pentium 4 2.4GHz (Northwood?) stock heatsink/fan
>>Motherboard (Intel chipset 857/875) Socket 478 DDR400 RAM support, FSB
>>400MHz, AGP 8x, USB 2.0 (NEC)
>>RAM 512Mb DDR400
>>Gfx: Nvidia FX5600 or Ti4800SE
>>Sound: Maybe just stick with 5.1 support on the Motherboard?
>>HDD: 80Gb ATA133 (should I leave serial ATA alone and stick with IDE?)
>>CDRW (LiteOn? Plextor?)
>>DVDROM (Pioneer?)
>>Power Supply - 400watt - whats a reliable PSU these days?
>>

> Using pp.co.nz's PC builder I came up with this (excludes
> keyboard/mouse/speakers)
> [any suggestions/changes welcome!]
>
> $272.00 CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.4Ghz (133x1 Northwood Socket 478 CPU + Fan
> Retail Boxed
> $415.00 Socket 478 Motherboard: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Socket 478 Motherboard
> $222.00 DDR RAM Memory Chip: A-Data 512MB PC4000 DDR (500Mhz) Memory in
> Aluminium Plate
> $415.00 AGP Video Card: Asus GeForce FX 5600 V9560 VideoSuite 128MB AGP
> Video Card DVI Video-Out 8x AGP
> $70.00 IDE Device: Sony CRX230E88 (OEM) 52x32x52x (Beige) Internal
> IDECD-Writer
> $75.00 IDE Device: Sony DDU1612 16x40x oem DVD-Rom Drive
> $187.00 IDE Device: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus 120GB 7200RPM IDE ATA100
> Hard Disk Drive 8MB Cache
> $27.00 Floppy Disk Drive: Sony 3.5 Floppy Disk Drive (Silver)
> $108.00 PCI Card: Intel Pro 1000 MT 10/100/1000 PCI Network Adaptor
> $60.00 PCI Card: Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1 Special Edition PCI Sound
> Card
> $183.00 Case: 3R System Air (Black) Mid-Tower Case with Side Window,
> Maxpower Whisper Quiet 400W PSU
> $244.00 Monitor: Philips 107S Flatscreen 17" Monitor
> Total $2,328.00

Hi
This is my current setup and goes along quite nice. Question, why the
extra network card as the P4C800 has onboard Intel PRO/1000 NIC. The
other thing is to check the ASUS QVL for correct RAM.

Thermaltake VM3000A Case (lots of fans)
Thermaltake 480W P/Supply (lots of heat)
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe M/B
Intel Prescott HT 3.20GHz CPU
2 x 512GB Hynix DDR400 RAM (3-4-4-8-4)
RADEON 9600XT video card
RAID 0 for XP (2 x Seagate 7200RPM 8MB Cache IDE 40GB)
RAID 1 for Data (2 x Seagate 7200RPM 8MB Cache SATA 80GB)
Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-106D
oh and a floppy..need that to load the promise FastTrak 378 RAID array
driver when installing your OS...

Cheers
Malcolm

MarkH

"Industrious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newsp3Jc.8155$(E-Mail Removed):

> Get a motherboard that supports serial IDE raid. Get 2 identical
> drives. Whoosh. Best and easiest performance tweak.
> I use an appolication called HDTach and my drives go off it's scale.

Which apps do you notice the huge performance gain in? Most apps I run
would gain in load time, but once running they barely touch the HDD, I find
RAM is faster (Of course apps vary: games and Photoshop need tons of RAM,
database apps need fast HDD access).

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

Dave - Dave.net.nz

The Other Guy wrote:
> The 107S used to be a good monitor, wouldn't touch one these days.

The 107P is lovely.