Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > PC company - dying board???

PC company - dying board???

Ken

I've been looking at a PC Co. box, it freezes randomly, even when in the BIOS
setup - croaking board or suspect PSU? It's an Athlon 1800, and it has a 250
watt PSU in it. Should I try a new PSU before biffing the board? It's only
recently started to freeze. The system is a little over 2 years old.

Edmond Lo

Definitly if you can get a 300W PSU to try it. See if it is a Hyena 250W PSU
as they are known to be very doggy PSU.
"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been looking at a PC Co. box, it freezes randomly, even when in the

BIOS
> setup - croaking board or suspect PSU? It's an Athlon 1800, and it has a

250
> watt PSU in it. Should I try a new PSU before biffing the board? It's only
> recently started to freeze. The system is a little over 2 years old.

Patrick Dunford

says...
> I've been looking at a PC Co. box, it freezes randomly, even when in the BIOS
> setup - croaking board or suspect PSU? It's an Athlon 1800, and it has a 250
> watt PSU in it. Should I try a new PSU before biffing the board? It's only
> recently started to freeze. The system is a little over 2 years old.

Check if the board is made by PC Chips

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Edmond Lo wrote:
> Definitly if you can get a 300W PSU to try it. See if it is a Hyena 250W PSU
> as they are known to be very doggy PSU.

it may even be as simple as a flakey stick of ram.

Ken

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:15:09 +1200, Patrick Dunford
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>says...
>> I've been looking at a PC Co. box, it freezes randomly, even when in the BIOS
>> setup - croaking board or suspect PSU? It's an Athlon 1800, and it has a 250
>> watt PSU in it. Should I try a new PSU before biffing the board? It's only
>> recently started to freeze. The system is a little over 2 years old.

>Check if the board is made by PC Chips

Yeah, it's Elitegroup (one and the same?), and the PSU is from Herolchi
Electronic Co.

I'll test each stick of RAM, then try another PSU.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Ken wrote:
>>Check if the board is made by PC Chips

> Yeah, it's Elitegroup (one and the same?), and the PSU is from Herolchi
> Electronic Co.

yep, one and the same
wow...

Patrick Dunford

Ken wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:15:09 +1200, Patrick Dunford
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>>says...
>>
>>>I've been looking at a PC Co. box, it freezes randomly, even when in the BIOS
>>>setup - croaking board or suspect PSU? It's an Athlon 1800, and it has a 250
>>>watt PSU in it. Should I try a new PSU before biffing the board? It's only
>>>recently started to freeze. The system is a little over 2 years old.

>>Check if the board is made by PC Chips

> Yeah, it's Elitegroup (one and the same?), and the PSU is from Herolchi
> Electronic Co.

ECS and PCChips merged some time ago.

PCChips is notoriously poor quality product. You may need to replace it
(not with the same brand)

~misfit~

Ken wrote:
> I've been looking at a PC Co. box, it freezes randomly, even when in
> the BIOS setup - croaking board or suspect PSU? It's an Athlon 1800,
> and it has a 250 watt PSU in it. Should I try a new PSU before
> biffing the board? It's only recently started to freeze. The system
> is a little over 2 years old.

Do a visual check of all the large capacitors on the motherboard and see if
any are bulging (tops or sides) or leaking gunk.
--
~misfit~

GraB

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:14:05 +1200, Ken <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:15:09 +1200, Patrick Dunford
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>>says...
>>> I've been looking at a PC Co. box, it freezes randomly, even when in the BIOS
>>> setup - croaking board or suspect PSU? It's an Athlon 1800, and it has a 250
>>> watt PSU in it. Should I try a new PSU before biffing the board? It's only
>>> recently started to freeze. The system is a little over 2 years old.

>>Check if the board is made by PC Chips

>Yeah, it's Elitegroup (one and the same?), and the PSU is from Herolchi
>Electronic Co.
>
>I'll test each stick of RAM, then try another PSU.

I am using the same PSU. It is my impression that they are a good
one. PC Company used them on all their PC, even the ones running the
hottest Athlons and G-Force 4 and CD burners.

MarkH

GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:14:05 +1200, Ken <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Yeah, it's Elitegroup (one and the same?), and the PSU is from
>>Herolchi Electronic Co.
>>
>>I'll test each stick of RAM, then try another PSU.
>>

> I am using the same PSU. It is my impression that they are a good
> one. PC Company used them on all their PC, even the ones running the
> hottest Athlons and G-Force 4 and CD burners.

Regardless of brand a 250W PSU is bound to be at the bottom end of their
range and made with the cheapest components. Many brands will make a PSU
to sell to OEMs that want to save every dollar they can. Generally the
higher rated PSUs are better quality and cost more money, it can be money
well spent. If the PSU is faulty then maybe splash out on a Thermaltake
360W PSU.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

Survey: Does your company use Python? Do you know a company thatuses Python? VanL Python 1 08-07-2009 08:22 PM
Eclipse, sick, dying, dead, or am I missing something?? James Kimble Java 36 01-26-2005 01:38 PM
Dying Network setup wizard =?Utf-8?B?amFjcQ==?= Wireless Networking 3 01-26-2005 02:05 AM
PC KEEPS DYING Jim Gastropants MCSE 14 10-08-2004 01:45 PM
session keeps dying? Steve Letford ASP .Net 8 08-06-2003 05:01 AM

Advertisments