Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Missing: XP admin. user account.

Missing: XP admin. user account.

XLO cloth

Missing: XP admin. user account. Last seen on logon screen.
I had two admnistrator accounts but only used one. When I tried to delete
the extra one I couldn't.
As a possible solution I turned off the auto login function I had set
through XP powertoys. Now all I can get to is the extra account. My primary
account is still there, at least on disk, but I cannot get to it.
Help!!!

Thanks in advance,
The man who Tweaked Too Much.

Dogg

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:23:55 +1200, "XLO cloth" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Missing: XP admin. user account. Last seen on logon screen.
>I had two admnistrator accounts but only used one. When I tried to delete
>the extra one I couldn't.
>As a possible solution I turned off the auto login function I had set
>through XP powertoys. Now all I can get to is the extra account. My primary
>account is still there, at least on disk, but I cannot get to it.
>Help!!!
>
>Thanks in advance,
>The man who Tweaked Too Much.

Under user accounts in control panel, turn off "Use the welcome
screen" and then log off and type in user name and password.

Industrious

Ahhh sweet. Worked a charm.

Now can you answer this. Both accounts have administrator rights but from my
primary I cannot delete the extra account. Delete is not an option. If I try
to change the account type, eg. to limited, it has the header saying 'you
must assign another user on this computer with a computer administrator
account etc..." although my primary account is the primary administrator
account.
??

Thanks in advance.

"Dogg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:23:55 +1200, "XLO cloth" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Missing: XP admin. user account. Last seen on logon screen.
> >I had two admnistrator accounts but only used one. When I tried to delete
> >the extra one I couldn't.
> >As a possible solution I turned off the auto login function I had set
> >through XP powertoys. Now all I can get to is the extra account. My

primary
> >account is still there, at least on disk, but I cannot get to it.
> >Help!!!
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >The man who Tweaked Too Much.
> >

> Under user accounts in control panel, turn off "Use the welcome
> screen" and then log off and type in user name and password.

Matt B

In news:IJqIc.7541$(E-Mail Removed),
Industrious <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ahhh sweet. Worked a charm.
>
> Now can you answer this. Both accounts have administrator rights but
> from my primary I cannot delete the extra account. Delete is not an
> option. If I try to change the account type, eg. to limited, it has
> the header saying 'you must assign another user on this computer with
> a computer administrator account etc..." although my primary account
> is the primary administrator account.
> ??

Start - Run - control userpasswords2

--
Regards,

Matt B
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are 10 types of people.
Those who get binary...
And those who don't.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Industrious wrote:

> Ahhh sweet. Worked a charm.
>
> Now can you answer this. Both accounts have administrator rights but from my
> primary I cannot delete the extra account. Delete is not an option. If I try
> to change the account type, eg. to limited, it has the header saying 'you
> must assign another user on this computer with a computer administrator
> account etc..." although my primary account is the primary administrator
> account.
> ??

Is it in the local administrator group?
I found one like this the other day at work, where although two accounts
were listed as admins, only one was in the administrators group on the
local machine.

Enkidu

From what you have said the "extra" administrator account is really
the first one, not the one that you think is the prime one.

Is the delete an option for the one that you think is the prime one?

You cannot delete the original Administrator account, even if you
rename it.

Incidentally you can access the old style login by hitting
Ctrl+Alt+Delete twice at the Welcome Screen.

Cheers,

Cliff

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:03:18 +1200, "Industrious"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ahhh sweet. Worked a charm.
>
>Now can you answer this. Both accounts have administrator rights but from my
>primary I cannot delete the extra account. Delete is not an option. If I try
>to change the account type, eg. to limited, it has the header saying 'you
>must assign another user on this computer with a computer administrator
>account etc..." although my primary account is the primary administrator
>account.
>??
>
>Thanks in advance.
>

>"Dogg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:23:55 +1200, "XLO cloth" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Missing: XP admin. user account. Last seen on logon screen.
>> >I had two admnistrator accounts but only used one. When I tried to delete
>> >the extra one I couldn't.
>> >As a possible solution I turned off the auto login function I had set
>> >through XP powertoys. Now all I can get to is the extra account. My

>primary
>> >account is still there, at least on disk, but I cannot get to it.
>> >Help!!!
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance,
>> >The man who Tweaked Too Much.
>> >

>> Under user accounts in control panel, turn off "Use the welcome
>> screen" and then log off and type in user name and password.

Patrick Dunford

In article <%NnIc.7518$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Missing: XP admin. user account. Last seen on logon screen.
> I had two admnistrator accounts but only used one. When I tried to delete
> the extra one I couldn't.
> As a possible solution I turned off the auto login function I had set
> through XP powertoys. Now all I can get to is the extra account. My primary
> account is still there, at least on disk, but I cannot get to it.
> Help!!!

Let me guess you are using XP Home. You can't delete the default
administrator account that Windows creates.

Patrick Dunford

In article <IJqIc.7541$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Ahhh sweet. Worked a charm.
>
> Now can you answer this. Both accounts have administrator rights but from my
> primary I cannot delete the extra account. Delete is not an option. If I try
> to change the account type, eg. to limited, it has the header saying 'you
> must assign another user on this computer with a computer administrator
> account etc..." although my primary account is the primary administrator
> account.
> ??

The account Windows creates automatically IS the administrator account
and can't be deleted, even if you set up another one.

Dogg

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:17:36 +1200, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

<snip>
>Incidentally you can access the old style login by hitting
>Ctrl+Alt+Delete twice at the Welcome Screen.

<snip>

Ahh..learn something new everyday.

Dave Taylor

"XLO cloth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:%NnIc.7518$NA1.715006
@news02.tsnz.net:

> My primary
> account is still there, at least on disk, but I cannot get to it.
> Help!!!
>
> Thanks in advance,
> The man who Tweaked Too Much.

Logoff, Then press Control Alt Delete Delete. That's right, press delete
twice. The classic logon screen should pop up. Type in the username and
password that you are trying to access.
Ciao, Dave