Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New to Linux

New to Linux

cowboyz

theseus wrote:
> cowboyz wrote:
>> steve wrote:

>>> He's only got 64MB of RAM.
>>>
>>> He'd be better off with a stripped-down Gentoo with Fluxbox as the
>>> UI....though compiling anything on a system with only 64MB of RAM
>>> would be a true test of the remaining life in the hard disc....

>> Look at that.. Linux advocates can't even agree on the
>> distro.......... Wait till you ask "what app is better at this task"
>> and see what happens.............

> Why would you expect them to ?
> Thats why there are different distributions
> There are different choices and opinions among Windows users to.
> Have you got anything to contribute but trolling cheap shots or is
> that all you country boys can scrape together ?

No. Thats all I can scrape together. Too cold and frosty to come up with
anything more substantial than that. It was a bit easy though.

AD.

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 08:51:25 +1200, cowboyz wrote:

> Look at that.. Linux advocates can't even agree on the distro..........

Look at that Windows users can't even agree on the best x....

(where x could be game, anti virus, graphics tool, firewall etc etc)

What an idiotic statement!

AD.

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:49:00 +1200, Damon Nomad wrote:

> I'm new to Linux, I had a spare machine, a K6 500, 64 megs of RAM, video
> card, external 33k6 Dynalink modem, CDROM, 3.5 Floppy and a 3 or 4 Gb H/d.
> I have a disk set I bought a couple of years ago, Red Hat 7.0 Guinness
> with a whole lot of extras. I have installed it with Gnome but need a lot
> more advice. Can someone suggest a newsgroup or site that is fairly basic?
> "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man gills and he becomes
> a fish himself." Old Tleilaxu adage.

First things first. RedHat 7.0 is OLD, and will have security
vulnerabilities.

Either replace it, or figure out how to enable a firewall. I think there
was a firewall tool in Redhat called lokkit or something.

Cheers
Anton

theseus

cowboyz wrote:
> theseus wrote:
>> cowboyz wrote:

>>> Look at that.. Linux advocates can't even agree on the
>>> distro.......... Wait till you ask "what app is better at this task"
>>> and see what happens.............

>> Why would you expect them to ?
>> Thats why there are different distributions
>> There are different choices and opinions among Windows users to.
>> Have you got anything to contribute but trolling cheap shots or is
>> that all you country boys can scrape together ?

> No. Thats all I can scrape together. Too cold and frosty to come up
> with anything more substantial than that. It was a bit easy though.

Yeah steve makes it easy, he's just trying to raise the noise level.
Damon Nomad should just continue to explore the install he has working, but
try the ICEWM windows manager.
7.0 wouldn't be the best choice if he wanted to run a static webserver.
But as a "my first linux" it'll do nicely.
Copyleft has a good page of NZ Linux links
http://www.copyleft.co.nz/links.html

Divine

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:20:07 +1200, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

> Why not just say 'get some more RAM, and get Mandrake 10.0 from DSE', or
> similar that people can understand ferchrisakes...

Mandrake 10 *is* very nice. And, yeah, I have 512megs of RAM
installed, and, yeah, I'm using an AMD64. )

Divine

--
Bruce Schneier: "Honestly, security experts don't pick on Microsoft because
we have some fundamental dislike for the company. Indeed, Microsoft's poor

Enkidu

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 21:50:09 +1200, Divine <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:27:59 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
>
>> Well, RH7 *is* old, but Mandrake is far too heavy for a system like that.

>What's wrong with using one of the lighter GUIs that are included as a
>part of Mandrake?

Erm, the rest of Mandrake.

Cheers,

Cliff

Porkster

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 09:19:30 +1200, cowboyz wrote:

<snip

>>> Look at that.. Linux advocates can't even agree on the
>>> distro.......... Wait till you ask "what app is better at this task"
>>> and see what happens.............

>> Why would you expect them to ?
>> Thats why there are different distributions
>> There are different choices and opinions among Windows users to.
>> Have you got anything to contribute but trolling cheap shots or is
>> that all you country boys can scrape together ?

> No. Thats all I can scrape together. Too cold and frosty to come up with
> anything more substantial than that. It was a bit easy though.

Im surprised that no one bothered to mention redhat no longer gives a
flying fig about providing support to version 9, never mind version 7

Paul...

theseus

Enkidu wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 21:50:09 +1200, Divine <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:27:59 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
>>
>>> Well, RH7 *is* old, but Mandrake is far too heavy for a system like
>>> that.

>> What's wrong with using one of the lighter GUIs that are included as
>> a part of Mandrake?
>>

> Erm, the rest of Mandrake.

There are all sorts of WM options in the installer, same kernel as any other
current distro, its the desktop that takes the ram.
Debian stable is the easiest to go minimalist with though, it will install a
2.2 386 kernel by default, or 2.4 with the bf24 boot option.

Divine

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:09:58 +1200, Porkster wrote:

> Im surprised that no one bothered to mention redhat no longer gives a
> flying fig about providing support to version 9, never mind version 7

Lets see...

There have been a total of 4 major versions of Micro$oft Windows, and 3
major versions of Micro$oft WindowsNT.

Does Micro$oft still offer free support for Windows 3.0? or 2.0?

Don't think so!

Divine

--
"Microsoft don't need any moral right to be a hypocrite. It's an oxymoron.
They will do what they can get away with. Of course this makes it difficult

theseus

"Porkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 09:19:30 +1200, cowboyz wrote:
>
> <snip

> >> Why would you expect them to ?
> >> Thats why there are different distributions
> >> There are different choices and opinions among Windows users to.
> >> Have you got anything to contribute but trolling cheap shots or is
> >> that all you country boys can scrape together ?

> > No. Thats all I can scrape together. Too cold and frosty to come up

with
> > anything more substantial than that. It was a bit easy though.

> Im surprised that no one bothered to mention redhat no longer gives a
> flying fig about providing support to version 9, never mind version 7
>

> Paul...

Doesn't really matter for a first linux install, theres enough stuff on the
distro disks to learn with.
Get a copy of RUTE and work through it with that distro, then choose one for
regular use after you know what you are looking at.