Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Cannot detect USB Flash disk

Cannot detect USB Flash disk

NZed

I am running XP pro
I recently purchased a USB flash disk and plugged it into my work computer
using XP pro ..it automatically connects when I plug in the USB flash disk.

However at home it wont detect automatically.
If I plug in my plug and play printer it works okay.
But not the USB flash disk.

When I go into device manager I use the detect hardware function ...it
detects a mass storage device but comes up with a code 10 error and says it
cannot start the device.

In device manager I also have
the following :
Universal Serial Bus controlers
Intel 828101EB USB Universal Host Controller 24D2
Intel 828101EB USB Universal Host Controller 24D4
Intel 828101EB USB Universal Host Controller 24D7
Intel 828101EB USB Universal Host Controller 24DE

There doesnt seem to be any conflicts ie IRQ seems okay.

In device manager however I have noticed that there is now a list every time
I try to plug in the device.
eg
Mass Storage Device...with error sign.
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

Any suggestions as to why this is happening and what can be done about it to
fix the problem.
Now confirming that the device works on another system ..with no problems.
So it must narrow it down to the Device manager ..USB ports.

NZed

---

Gurble

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 20:02:02 +1200, "NZed" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I am running XP pro
>I recently purchased a USB flash disk and plugged it into my work computer
>using XP pro ..it automatically connects when I plug in the USB flash disk.
>
>However at home it wont detect automatically.
>If I plug in my plug and play printer it works okay.
>But not the USB flash disk.

Are you using a Compaq or HP? Have seen a few cases where they just
don't seem to work on them.

Also, do you know what chipset you've got, or the motherboard model?

NZed

Thanks for the reply
The board is new ....a P4FSB 800 Intel 865PE
With a 2.4 chip
Its not a Compaq or HP....
A custom made job.
thanks
NZed

"Gurble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 20:02:02 +1200, "NZed" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >I am running XP pro
> >I recently purchased a USB flash disk and plugged it into my work

computer
> >using XP pro ..it automatically connects when I plug in the USB flash

disk.

> >However at home it wont detect automatically.
> >If I plug in my plug and play printer it works okay.
> >But not the USB flash disk.

> Are you using a Compaq or HP? Have seen a few cases where they just
> don't seem to work on them.
>
> Also, do you know what chipset you've got, or the motherboard model?

---

In article <boNHc.7170$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> I am running XP pro
> I recently purchased a USB flash disk and plugged it into my work computer
> using XP pro ..it automatically connects when I plug in the USB flash disk.
>
> However at home it wont detect automatically.
> If I plug in my plug and play printer it works okay.
> But not the USB flash disk.
>
> When I go into device manager I use the detect hardware function ...it
> detects a mass storage device but comes up with a code 10 error and says it
> cannot start the device.
>
> In device manager I also have
> the following :
> Universal Serial Bus controlers
> Intel 828101EB USB Universal Host Controller 24D2
> Intel 828101EB USB Universal Host Controller 24D4
> Intel 828101EB USB Universal Host Controller 24D7
> Intel 828101EB USB Universal Host Controller 24DE
>
> There doesnt seem to be any conflicts ie IRQ seems okay.
>
> In device manager however I have noticed that there is now a list every time
> I try to plug in the device.
> eg
> Mass Storage Device...with error sign.
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
>
> Any suggestions as to why this is happening and what can be done about it to
> fix the problem.
> Now confirming that the device works on another system ..with no problems.
> So it must narrow it down to the Device manager ..USB ports.
>
> NZed

Look for a bios update for your motherboard...

Patrick Dunford

In article <boNHc.7170$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I am running XP pro
> I recently purchased a USB flash disk and plugged it into my work computer
> using XP pro ..it automatically connects when I plug in the USB flash disk.
>
> However at home it wont detect automatically.
> If I plug in my plug and play printer it works okay.
> But not the USB flash disk.
>
> When I go into device manager I use the detect hardware function ...it
> detects a mass storage device but comes up with a code 10 error and says it
> cannot start the device.

What OS are you using at home?

Despite the propaganda, USB is not a flawless technology. I have seen a
deskjet that simply could not be installed on any other version of
Windows except XP. It possibly also had something to do with older
computers in the early days of USB.

Robert

Have you installed the OS updates?
Refer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822603
and
http://www.usbman.com/winxpusbguide.htm

"NZed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:boNHc.7170$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am running XP pro
> I recently purchased a USB flash disk and plugged it into my work computer
> using XP pro ..it automatically connects when I plug in the USB flash

disk.

> However at home it wont detect automatically.
> If I plug in my plug and play printer it works okay.
> But not the USB flash disk.
>
> When I go into device manager I use the detect hardware function ...it
> detects a mass storage device but comes up with a code 10 error and says

it
> cannot start the device.
>
> In device manager I also have
> the following :
> Universal Serial Bus controlers
> Intel 828101EB USB Universal Host Controller 24D2
> Intel 828101EB USB Universal Host Controller 24D4
> Intel 828101EB USB Universal Host Controller 24D7
> Intel 828101EB USB Universal Host Controller 24DE
>
> There doesnt seem to be any conflicts ie IRQ seems okay.
>
> In device manager however I have noticed that there is now a list every

time
> I try to plug in the device.
> eg
> Mass Storage Device...with error sign.
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
>
> Any suggestions as to why this is happening and what can be done about it

> fix the problem.
> Now confirming that the device works on another system ..with no problems.
> So it must narrow it down to the Device manager ..USB ports.
>
> NZed
>

> ---

Paul

Is the USB flash disk USB2? If it is, is SP1
installed?

news:B3_Hc.7200$(E-Mail Removed)...