Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Win98 - My Computer/Explorer stopped showing all Drives and Freezessystem? Help!

Win98 - My Computer/Explorer stopped showing all Drives and Freezessystem? Help!

Chris

1) Checked Anti virus sig's, (AVG uptodate)
2) Scandisk - all partitions show no problem.
3) Defrag - no problem.
4) Emptied temp folders and Internet temp.
4) Run Adaware - no problems
4b) Ran MSREG - no problems
5) Boot in Safe mode and Shows/Access OK to all Drives, sooo software
related??
5b) made shortcuts to access files of each partition, however unable to
access/open files from programs at all i.e. Word, Excel etc. incl.
Search for files, anything to do with opening all drives to view stops
the system and freeze up occurs!

TIA for any help on this one, thanks everyone.

PS please post and send copy via email as not on very often.

Chris

Stephen Williams

> 1) Checked Anti virus sig's, (AVG uptodate)
> 2) Scandisk - all partitions show no problem.
> 3) Defrag - no problem.
> 4) Emptied temp folders and Internet temp.
> 4) Run Adaware - no problems
> 4b) Ran MSREG - no problems
> 5) Boot in Safe mode and Shows/Access OK to all Drives, sooo software
> related??
> 5b) made shortcuts to access files of each partition, however unable to
> access/open files from programs at all i.e. Word, Excel etc. incl.
> Search for files, anything to do with opening all drives to view stops
> the system and freeze up occurs!
>
> TIA for any help on this one, thanks everyone.
>
> PS please post and send copy via email as not on very often.
>
> Chris

Try disconnecting your drives one at a time and see if it works without the
disconnected drive. At least it might narrow it down. For the floppy
drive, you should set it to None in the BIOS and also disable the floppy
controller.

Steve

Chris

Stephen Williams wrote:
>>1) Checked Anti virus sig's, (AVG uptodate)
>>2) Scandisk - all partitions show no problem.
>>3) Defrag - no problem.
>>4) Emptied temp folders and Internet temp.
>>4) Run Adaware - no problems
>>4b) Ran MSREG - no problems
>>5) Boot in Safe mode and Shows/Access OK to all Drives, sooo software
>>related??
>>5b) made shortcuts to access files of each partition, however unable to
>>access/open files from programs at all i.e. Word, Excel etc. incl.
>>Search for files, anything to do with opening all drives to view stops
>>the system and freeze up occurs!
>>
>>TIA for any help on this one, thanks everyone.
>>
>>PS please post and send copy via email as not on very often.
>>
>>Chris

> Try disconnecting your drives one at a time and see if it works without the
> disconnected drive. At least it might narrow it down. For the floppy
> drive, you should set it to None in the BIOS and also disable the floppy
> controller.
>
> Steve

Hi Steve,thanks for your reply.

You say disconnect the drives? Sorry Maybe I should have mentioned the
problem is with a 'Partitioned drive' not all being visable other than
safe mode etc.
From Memory somewhere I could unmount the drive? however have concerns
that this will not remount and data may be lost? Thoughts??
Thought the problem may have related to WIN98 Find Fast program and so
added drive letters to no avail :\

Patrick Bold

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Stephen Williams wrote:

> >>5) Boot in Safe mode and Shows/Access OK to all Drives, sooo

software
> >>related??

Good hunch. Run msconfig | Diagnostic Startup. If ok, then do a
Selective Startup by adding in one item at a time until things break
again. That should help you identify whatever it is that's causing the
trouble.

Gavin Tunney

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 15:11:00 +1200, Chris <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Stephen Williams wrote:
>>>1) Checked Anti virus sig's, (AVG uptodate)
>>>2) Scandisk - all partitions show no problem.
>>>3) Defrag - no problem.
>>>4) Emptied temp folders and Internet temp.
>>>4) Run Adaware - no problems
>>>4b) Ran MSREG - no problems
>>>5) Boot in Safe mode and Shows/Access OK to all Drives, sooo software
>>>related??
>>>5b) made shortcuts to access files of each partition, however unable to
>>>access/open files from programs at all i.e. Word, Excel etc. incl.
>>>Search for files, anything to do with opening all drives to view stops
>>>the system and freeze up occurs!
>>>
>>>TIA for any help on this one, thanks everyone.
>>>
>>>PS please post and send copy via email as not on very often.
>>>
>>>Chris

>> Try disconnecting your drives one at a time and see if it works without the
>> disconnected drive. At least it might narrow it down. For the floppy
>> drive, you should set it to None in the BIOS and also disable the floppy
>> controller.
>>
>> Steve

>Hi Steve,thanks for your reply.
>
>You say disconnect the drives? Sorry Maybe I should have mentioned the
>problem is with a 'Partitioned drive' not all being visable other than
>safe mode etc.
> From Memory somewhere I could unmount the drive? however have concerns
>that this will not remount and data may be lost? Thoughts??
>Thought the problem may have related to WIN98 Find Fast program and so
>added drive letters to no avail :\

Your diagnostics are pointing to the likely source of the fault Chris,
assuming you have a CDRom drive installed. Win98 doesn't load CDRom
drivers in safe mode so the initial assumption is the fault is CD
related. Try disconnecting it.

Safe mode also doesn't load startup files so if the CD is ok then try
disabling all the apps that load at startup.

Cheers

Gavin

Chris

Gavin Tunney wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 15:11:00 +1200, Chris <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

>>>Try disconnecting your drives one at a time and see if it works without the
>>>disconnected drive. At least it might narrow it down. For the floppy
>>>drive, you should set it to None in the BIOS and also disable the floppy
>>>controller.
>>>
>>>Steve

>>Hi Steve,thanks for your reply.
>>
>>You say disconnect the drives? Sorry Maybe I should have mentioned the
>>problem is with a 'Partitioned drive' not all being visable other than
>>safe mode etc.
>>From Memory somewhere I could unmount the drive? however have concerns
>>that this will not remount and data may be lost? Thoughts??
>>Thought the problem may have related to WIN98 Find Fast program and so
>>added drive letters to no avail :\
>>

> Your diagnostics are pointing to the likely source of the fault Chris,
> assuming you have a CDRom drive installed. Win98 doesn't load CDRom
> drivers in safe mode so the initial assumption is the fault is CD
> related. Try disconnecting it.
>
> Safe mode also doesn't load startup files so if the CD is ok then try
> disabling all the apps that load at startup.
>
> Cheers
>
> Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Yes that that worked, and Stopped all preventing any acess via My
Computer etc.
Just trying to resetup the CDRW and CD rom drives now!! ~:\

Thanks Guys

Chris