Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Internet Connection Sharing in XP

Internet Connection Sharing in XP

=?Utf-8?B?Um9uOTkxMQ==?=

I have a Dell 5150 acting as a host which uses a dial-up modum to access the
internet. I have no DSL available at my location. I have the host connected
via hard wire to port 1 of a Linksys Wireless G router WRT54G v5 which is
acting as a hub (switch). I then have 3 other computers (clients) trying to
access the internet connection on the host using ICS. I set the IP
addresses manualy as follows:
192.168.0.1 - host
192.168.0.2 - router/hub
192.168.0.3 - laptop/client
192.168.0.4 - dell client
192.168.0.5 - dell client
192.168.0.6 - print server
The connections on 2 to 6 are wireless and they all will ping eachother and
work perfectly together as well as the host.
The problem is that the clients will not recognize the active internet
connection on the host with internet explorer. I have gone through the steps
outlined in Article ID 306126 on how to configure ICS and troubleshoot.

What am I missing?????
--
Ron

Doug Sherman [MVP]

Make sure that the wireless clients are configured with a default gateway
and a Primary DNS server address of 192.168.0.1.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"Ron9911" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a Dell 5150 acting as a host which uses a dial-up modum to access

the
> internet. I have no DSL available at my location. I have the host

connected
> via hard wire to port 1 of a Linksys Wireless G router WRT54G v5 which is
> acting as a hub (switch). I then have 3 other computers (clients) trying

> access the internet connection on the host using ICS. I set the IP
> addresses manualy as follows:
> 192.168.0.1 - host
> 192.168.0.2 - router/hub
> 192.168.0.3 - laptop/client
> 192.168.0.4 - dell client
> 192.168.0.5 - dell client
> 192.168.0.6 - print server
> The connections on 2 to 6 are wireless and they all will ping eachother

and
> work perfectly together as well as the host.
> The problem is that the clients will not recognize the active internet
> connection on the host with internet explorer. I have gone through the

steps
> outlined in Article ID 306126 on how to configure ICS and troubleshoot.
>
> What am I missing?????
> --
> Ron

=?Utf-8?B?Um9uOTkxMQ==?=

Doug,

The primary DNS Server is the "host" as listed 192.168.0.1 and the Default
Gateway on the "Client" computers is set at the same address, as you suggest.
There must be something else, maybe in the router/hub settings?? I don't
think so though because the network shares information necessary.

--
Ron

"Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:

> Make sure that the wireless clients are configured with a default gateway
> and a Primary DNS server address of 192.168.0.1.
>
> Doug Sherman
> MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
>
> "Ron9911" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a Dell 5150 acting as a host which uses a dial-up modum to access

> the
> > internet. I have no DSL available at my location. I have the host

> connected
> > via hard wire to port 1 of a Linksys Wireless G router WRT54G v5 which is
> > acting as a hub (switch). I then have 3 other computers (clients) trying

> > access the internet connection on the host using ICS. I set the IP
> > addresses manualy as follows:
> > 192.168.0.1 - host
> > 192.168.0.2 - router/hub
> > 192.168.0.3 - laptop/client
> > 192.168.0.4 - dell client
> > 192.168.0.5 - dell client
> > 192.168.0.6 - print server
> > The connections on 2 to 6 are wireless and they all will ping eachother

> and
> > work perfectly together as well as the host.
> > The problem is that the clients will not recognize the active internet
> > connection on the host with internet explorer. I have gone through the

> steps
> > outlined in Article ID 306126 on how to configure ICS and troubleshoot.
> >
> > What am I missing?????
> > --
> > Ron

> .

Socrates

See this link for the correct steps to take:

www.amw1.com/tips

Socrates

hi - you need to run the network wizard again on the client computers as the same wizard comes in different flavours when ICS is enabled.

www.amw1.com/tips

"Ron9911" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Doug,
>
> The primary DNS Server is the "host" as listed 192.168.0.1 and the Default
> Gateway on the "Client" computers is set at the same address, as you suggest.
> There must be something else, maybe in the router/hub settings?? I don't
> think so though because the network shares information necessary.
>
> --
> Ron
>

> "Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Make sure that the wireless clients are configured with a default gateway
>> and a Primary DNS server address of 192.168.0.1.
>>
>> Doug Sherman
>> MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
>>
>> "Ron9911" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I have a Dell 5150 acting as a host which uses a dial-up modum to access

>> the
>> > internet. I have no DSL available at my location. I have the host

>> connected
>> > via hard wire to port 1 of a Linksys Wireless G router WRT54G v5 which is
>> > acting as a hub (switch). I then have 3 other computers (clients) trying

>> > access the internet connection on the host using ICS. I set the IP
>> > addresses manualy as follows:
>> > 192.168.0.1 - host
>> > 192.168.0.2 - router/hub
>> > 192.168.0.3 - laptop/client
>> > 192.168.0.4 - dell client
>> > 192.168.0.5 - dell client
>> > 192.168.0.6 - print server
>> > The connections on 2 to 6 are wireless and they all will ping eachother

>> and
>> > work perfectly together as well as the host.
>> > The problem is that the clients will not recognize the active internet
>> > connection on the host with internet explorer. I have gone through the

>> steps
>> > outlined in Article ID 306126 on how to configure ICS and troubleshoot.
>> >
>> > What am I missing?????
>> > --
>> > Ron

>> .

=?Utf-8?B?Um9uOTkxMQ==?=

Thank you all for your assistance. The problem was with the DNS setting. It
needed to be set to 192.168.0.1
Thanks,
--
Ron