Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Anyone using ICONZ Ezysurf Wired Country?

Anyone using ICONZ Ezysurf Wired Country?

~misfit~

I see that have a 256kbps flatrate plan for $65 a month (inc GST) with an
$80 install fee. I know I'm in line-of-sight with Pukekohe hill because Ihug
sent a guy around who checked it out after I made a casual query a few
months back. (Shame they don't have a similarly-priced plan).

http://www.ezysurf.co.nz/

I just have to ring them to check they have reasonable newsgroup access (or
someone here can tell me) and then I think I'm gonna cut the copper for
good. Telecom have had all they're going to get out of me. Wired Country and
Vodaphone will do the job I think, I'll also look into VOIP. I've had it up
to here with Telecom's monopolistic money-grabbing, time to talk with my
wallet.

So, is anyone using them? What's the service like?

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

~misfit~ wrote:
> I see that ICONZ have a 256kbps flatrate plan for $65 a month (inc GST)
> with an $80 install fee. I know I'm in line-of-sight with Pukekohe
> hill because Ihug sent a guy around (the same day) who checked it out

after I made a
> casual email query a few months back. (Shame they don't have a
> similarly-priced plan). He said I could get at least up to a 2Mbps

connection.

> http://www.ezysurf.co.nz/
>
> I just have to ring them to check they have reasonable newsgroup
> access (or maybe someone here can tell me) and then I think I'm gonna cut
> the copper for good. Telecom have had all they're going to get out of
> me. Wired Country and Vodafone will do the job I think, I'll also
> look into VoIP. I've had it up to here with Telecom's monopolistic
> money-grabbing, time to talk with my wallet.
>
> So, is anyone using them? What's the service like?

Nobody using them? I'd really like some unbiased info before I disconnect
the copper. The bastards (Telecom) charge more than I can afford to
reconnect in if things don't work as planned. I *really* don't want to have
anything more to do with Telecom other than one phone-call asking them to
cancel my Xtra account and disconnect the phone.

So, any word on ICONZ's news-server?

Thanks all,
--
~misfit~

Brendan

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 11:52:33 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> So, any word on ICONZ's news-server?

For a long while and probably still, Orcon was taking it's news feed from
them.

Recently the news feed has been pretty ****, previously it was only mostly
****.

But you could READ the news groups from one of the free servers, and POST
via the iconz one (Dialog allows you to do that).

E.g. Iconz don't seem to have a decent news feed. IMHO it is due to their
news admin - an unmitigated moron of an abusive type (unless they have
thankfully replaced him).

What you could do is leave the Telecom line connected for a few weeks AFTER
your new set up is in place and then decide based on your own experience.

--

.... Brendan

A morning without coffee is like something without something else.

Note: All my comments are copyright 10/07/2004 2:35:31 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

~misfit~

Brendan wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 11:52:33 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> So, any word on ICONZ's news-server?

> For a long while and probably still, Orcon was taking it's news feed
> from them.
>
> Recently the news feed has been pretty ****, previously it was only
> mostly ****.
>
> But you could READ the news groups from one of the free servers, and
> POST via the iconz one (Dialog allows you to do that).
>
> E.g. Iconz don't seem to have a decent news feed. IMHO it is due to
> their news admin - an unmitigated moron of an abusive type (unless
> they have thankfully replaced him).

Thanks for that.

> What you could do is leave the Telecom line connected for a few weeks
> AFTER your new set up is in place and then decide based on your own
> experience.

Yeah, I thought about that. *Really* tight budget though, it's touch-and-go
me being able to afford this as it is, taking into account the loss of free
local calls. (I'm not paying $40+ for a half-dozen local calls a month).
Most of our few toll-calls are far enough away that calling from a cell
isn't going to have *that* big an impact.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Brendan wrote:
> E.g. Iconz don't seem to have a decent news feed. IMHO it is due to their
> news admin - an unmitigated moron of an abusive type (unless they have
> thankfully replaced him).

Steve? I believe he left long ago, to work elsewhere for considerably
more money.

Blaming the admin for not having a decent news feed is like blaming
DSE's crap products on the sales staff, and not the manager that decided
to stock that product.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Blaming the admin for not having a decent news feed is like blaming
> DSE's crap products on the sales staff, and not the manager that decided
> to stock that product.

Further to that, no admin would purposly make the users complain, that
would simply mean that someone would ride their ass until the users stop.

Steve just took exception to you saying that you could do better, even
though you had no idea about what was involved.

Brendan

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 18:37:06 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Steve? I believe he left long ago, to work elsewhere for considerably
> more money.

What would you say if I said I heard differently ?

What if you were told that his abrasive and uncooperative behaviour was
legend and that it eventually caught up with him ?

Regardless of wether he DID get the job or not.

> Blaming the admin for not having a decent news feed is like blaming
> DSE's crap products on the sales staff, and not the manager that decided
> to stock that product.

Your mate Steve could not even configure his news server so it WOULD NOT
continually zero the message counters. Given his then position of admin in
a major ISP and his arrogance in refusing to look at the problem, the man
is simply inappropriate in any position of responsibility.

--

.... Brendan

"The melancholy truth was that his glorious golden head had nothing in it." -- Cecil Woodham Smith

Note: All my comments are copyright 10/07/2004 8:51:52 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Brendan

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 18:43:51 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Further to that, no admin would purposly make the users complain, that
> would simply mean that someone would ride their ass until the users stop.

The fact this one did exactly what you state above proves by your OWN logic
the man was incompetent.

> Steve just took exception to you saying that you could do better, even
> though you had no idea about what was involved.

1. I do not recall saying I could do better; indeed, I recall stating
clearly that I could not comment on my abilities in that area.

2. You cannot say what I may or may not be able to do unless I tell you as
much.

3. I demonstrated conclusively in those threads I *DID* have 'an idea' of
what is required; I recall even YOU were satisfied by my estimations at
that time.

4. My problem with that moron was not that he had ****ed up the news
server. It was that he:
ĦE refused to acknowledge the problem DESPITE that the ISP he was feeding
had repeatedly reported it AND that dozens of users in widly varied
locations ALSO reported it.
ĦE FURTHER antagonised the situation by blaming the users and specifically
abusing me.
ĦE Decided to pick a fight with me, which I initially ignored but later
decided the man deserved a lesson in humility.

5. Apparently some OTHER admins and staff had been having trouble with this
burk for some time and were encouraging me behind the scenes: inter company
politics disallowed them to do it in person. Some even phoned me to that
effect - e.g. SPENT MONEY.

I think Dave, that you should either retract your ignorant comments on the
matter or provide solid evidence on all of your vaguely stated claims.

N.B. I have carefully listed the above because you obviously need to be
walked through the facts in small steps.

--

.... Brendan

ADORE, v.t. To venerate expectantly. -- Ambrose Bierce

Note: All my comments are copyright 10/07/2004 8:56:11 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Brendan

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 16:18:20 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

>> What you could do is leave the Telecom line connected for a few weeks
>> AFTER your new set up is in place and then decide based on your own
>> experience.

> Yeah, I thought about that. *Really* tight budget though, it's touch-and-go
> me being able to afford this as it is, taking into account the loss of free
> local calls. (I'm not paying $40+ for a half-dozen local calls a month).
> Most of our few toll-calls are far enough away that calling from a cell
> isn't going to have *that* big an impact.

Perhaps if you changed the Telecom line to the $20 line rental + 20c per
call; you could change it back afterwards if it all went to custard.

--

.... Brendan

"If little else, the brain is an educational toy." -- Tom Robbins

Note: All my comments are copyright 10/07/2004 8:50:53 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Brendan wrote:
judo snip
> I think Dave, that you should either retract your ignorant comments on the
> matter or provide solid evidence on all of your vaguely stated claims.

Im working from memory, and what I have heard from others in the
industry, if it differs from what appears to have happened from your
point of view, so be it. **** happens.

iconz Mark Robinson NZ Computing 7 05-20-2007 08:57 PM
ICONZ NNTP Server? Mauricio Freitas [MVP] NZ Computing 2 11-20-2005 10:10 AM
ICONZ User? ~misfit~ NZ Computing 3 07-18-2004 12:11 AM
iconz gamers -[Myth]- NZ Computing 0 02-14-2004 11:32 PM
ICONZ Jetstream Dude NZ Computing 0 11-07-2003 11:43 AM

Advertisments