Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Restricting user access in Windows XP Home

Restricting user access in Windows XP Home

Stephen Williams

A few days ago I asked about making it impossible for a user to shut down a
computer.

Well that is all sorted, but there is one last thing I would like to do and
I can't seem to find the answer.

I want to make it impossible for a user to change the desktop at all. All
it has is Internet Explorer, and I want it to stay that way.

Any ideas?

Steve

Joy

"Stephen Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%WoHc.7021$(E-Mail Removed)...
> A few days ago I asked about making it impossible for a user to shut down

> computer.
>
> Well that is all sorted, but there is one last thing I would like to do

and
> I can't seem to find the answer.
>
> I want to make it impossible for a user to change the desktop at all. All
> it has is Internet Explorer, and I want it to stay that way.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Steve

It is my understanding that only programs listed under all users are
available to users other than the administrator.
Joy

Patrick Dunford

In article <%WoHc.7021$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> A few days ago I asked about making it impossible for a user to shut down a
> computer.
>
> Well that is all sorted, but there is one last thing I would like to do and
> I can't seem to find the answer.
>
> I want to make it impossible for a user to change the desktop at all. All
> it has is Internet Explorer, and I want it to stay that way.

Certainly possible in XP, I've seen desktops like this in NT. System
policies I thin

In article <%WoHc.7021$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> A few days ago I asked about making it impossible for a user to shut down a
> computer.
>
> Well that is all sorted, but there is one last thing I would like to do and
> I can't seem to find the answer.
>
> I want to make it impossible for a user to change the desktop at all. All
> it has is Internet Explorer, and I want it to stay that way.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Steve

I guess you could have fun with Group Policies (Start Menu->Run->
gpedit.msc) Don't know if Home lets you do that though.

Or google search for: desktop lockdown windows xp utilities

Stephen Williams

> I guess you could have fun with Group Policies (Start Menu->Run->
> gpedit.msc) Don't know if Home lets you do that though.
>
> Or google search for: desktop lockdown windows xp utilities

Yeah Home doesn't have gpedit.msc, you can't even copy it from a Pro
install.

The systems are fairly locked down now, I'll see how it goes.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Steve

frederick

"Stephen Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%WoHc.7021$(E-Mail Removed)...
<snip>
> I want to make it impossible for a user to change the desktop at all.
>All it has is Internet Explorer, and I want it to stay that way.

<snip>

So you want to do this:

In the registry there is a key to start the window desktop manager
"explorer.exe" which is in the key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell
with a value "explorer.exe".

BUT mucking around with this key value will change the setting for all
users - which is not what you want at all.

So...
This lead me to try adding a new key to the following:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
such as:
Shell Red_SZ C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

And it works...even thought it seemed too obvious to be true.
You can use any valid program file path as this key value.

Now what you really want is either to find out if there is a registry
key that can be changed to force IE to start up again if the user closes
IE. That is what Explorer does - which you will see on the occasion
that Explorer crashes - it starts up again automatically.

I believe that this is set by the registry value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
AutoRestartShell Reg_DWord 1

But annoyingly, that key does not seem to work in HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Maybe what is needed is a small program that you run with the "shell"
registry
key instead of iexplore.exe. That program would run internet explorer
on login, check to see if it is running every few seconds - and restart
it if it isn't. If there isn't such a program already made, I could
perhaps make one and include the change to the registry in it so that
all you would need to do is run the program from a limited user account,
log out, and it's done. Maybe also include a key combination that could
be typed in to reset back to a normal account, otherwise if task manager
is disabled, then you would have to edit the user's NTuser.dat by
registry.

regards

frederick

Shell Reg_SZ C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Not Red_SZ !

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Joy wrote:
> It is my understanding that only programs listed under all users are
> available to users other than the administrator.

your understanding is slightly wrong.
policies(both network and local) can be made to restrict the programs
that appear(and what can be accessed) in the start menu...

frederick

"Stephen Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%WoHc.7021$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I want to make it impossible for a user to change the desktop at all.
>All it has is Internet Explorer, and I want it to stay that way.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Steve

I have made a simple program that will do what you need.
To use it in XP, create a user account, copy the program to
the new user account's desktop, log in to the account, run the
program, then log out.
When logging in again, there will be no task bar, no icons,
ctrl/alt/del is disabled, the only "visible" program running is IE.
If the user shuts down IE, then it will start again.
To kill it, just delete or move the program from the user's a/c,
or delete the registry keys via regedit "Load Hive".
You can download from:
http://www.geocities.com/ctysnz/IEonly.zip
Instructions and source code are in the
zip file "Readme IEOnly.txt". Do NOT run the
program when logged in to your main admin
account! If you do accidentally, then use IE file
menu to browse to regedit (in the Windows
directory) open it, and delete the registry keys.

Stephen Williams

> I have made a simple program that will do what you need.
> To use it in XP, create a user account, copy the program to
> the new user account's desktop, log in to the account, run the
> program, then log out.
> When logging in again, there will be no task bar, no icons,
> ctrl/alt/del is disabled, the only "visible" program running is IE.
> If the user shuts down IE, then it will start again.
> To kill it, just delete or move the program from the user's a/c,
> or delete the registry keys via regedit "Load Hive".
> You can download from:
> http://www.geocities.com/ctysnz/IEonly.zip
> Instructions and source code are in the
> zip file "Readme IEOnly.txt". Do NOT run the
> program when logged in to your main admin
> account! If you do accidentally, then use IE file
> menu to browse to regedit (in the Windows
> directory) open it, and delete the registry keys.

Well that certainly is far beyond the level of help I was expecting, thank
you very much.

If you don't mind, I may modify yours to include some of the registry keys
I've found, such as the ones that prevent altering of tool bars, remove the
"Save As" and "Set as background" and any other downloading feature.

Thanks again,
Steve